• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Google Wing: drone delivery service by X Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTNvWcx9Oo

The project is being developed at Google X, the company's clandestine tech research arm, which is also responsible for its self-driving car. Project Wing has been running for two years, but was a secret until now.

Google said that its long-term goal was to develop drones that could be used for disaster relief by delivering aid to isolated areas. They could be used after earthquakes, floods, or extreme weather events, the company suggested, to take small items such as medicines or batteries to people in areas that conventional vehicles cannot reach.

"Even just a few of these, being able to shuttle nearly continuously could service a very large number of people in an emergency situation," explained Astro Teller, Captain of Moonshots - Google X's name for big-thinking projects.

Australia tests

Google's self-flying vehicle project was first conceived of as a way to deliver defibrillator kits to people suspected of having heart attacks. The idea was that the drones would transport the equipment faster than an ambulance could.

"When you have a tool like this you can really allow the operators of those emergency services to add an entirely new dimension to the set of tools and solutions that they can think of," said Dave Voss, incoming leader of Project Wing. The prototype vehicles that the company has built have successfully been tested by delivering packages to remote farms in Queensland, Australia from neighbouring properties. Australia was selected as a test site due to what Google calls "progressive" rules about the use of drones, which are more tightly controlled in other parts of the word.

Dual mode

Project Wing's aircraft have a wingspan of approximately 1.5m (4.9ft) and have four electrically-driven propellers. The total weight, including the package to be delivered, is approximately 10kg (22lb). The aircraft itself accounts for the bulk of that at 8.5kg (18.7lb). The small, white glossy machine has a "blended wing" design where the entire body of the aircraft provides lift. The vehicle is known as a "tail sitter" - since it rests on the ground with its propellers pointed straight up, but then transitions into a horizontal flight pattern.

BBC's Nigel Cassidy reported on Amazon's drone project in December
This dual mode operation gives the self-flying vehicle some of the benefits of both planes and helicopters. It can take off or land without a runway, and can hold its position hovering in one spot. It can also fly quickly and efficiently, allowing it to cover larger distances than the more traditional quadcopter vehicles available commercially. The vehicles are pre-programmed with a destination, but then left to fly themselves there automatically. This differs from many military drone aircraft, which are often remotely controlled by a pilot on the ground, sometimes on the other side of the world.

Eventually Google said it could use unmanned flying vehicles to deliver shopping items to consumers at home. That's a use that retail giant Amazon has already stated an interest in, with its proposed Prime Air service - the announcement of which generated headlines at the end of last year: Amazon has asked the US Federal Aviation Administration for permission to conduct outdoor tests.

Google would not be permitted to carry out the Project Wing tests in the US

"The things we would do there are not unlike what is traditionally done in aerospace," said Mr Voss.

"It will be clear for us what level of redundancy we need in the controls and sensors, the computers that are onboard, and the motors, and how they are able to fail gracefully such that you don't have catastrophic problems occurring."

Other unusual vehicles have been investigated for humanitarian aid, including flying cars and hoverbikes, with the same aims of reaching cut-off areas quickly.

"We will have to see what kind of specific technology works best within the aid landscape, and if the new technology can integrate positively in the local context," said Lou Del Bello from news site SciDev.net, speaking about the category in general.

"It will need to demonstrate it can be cost effective, and respond to actual needs of local people."

Despite that noble goal, Google did say in The Atlantic that these vehicles can also be used to deliver goods to buyers, just as Amazon hopes to do. The company now has dozens of people working on the project (more are expected to join soon) with the goal of delivering things to people quickly via these small, "self-flying vehicles."

Beyond Astro Teller, Google recruited Nick Roy from MIT to lead the project; he took a two-year sabbatical to help get it off the ground. But Google's been working on this for some time — Project Wing was originally envisioned as a way to deliver defibrillators to people who were having heart attacks, but Google ran into issues with that idea because it would involve being integrated into 911 and emergency services. Of course, the company still faces plenty of challenges getting it off the ground in the US — in fact, the company has mostly been testing Project Wing in Australia, which has more "progressive" ideas about the use of drones compared to Google's home country.

Indeed, Google's drone program might be further away from reality than its self-driving cars — but it sounds like the company is going to use all of its considerable power to push the initiative forward, including getting in with the regulatory boards that'll ultimately decide whether Google's crafts can take to the skies. It's gonna take conversations with the public and with regulators. But so far in the conversations we've had over the last two years, and more intensely over the last couple months with regulators, I'm cautiously optimistic that everyone wants the same thing," Teller said to The Atlantic.

_77240505_58c07b6e-1f79-4a8e-83c1-c097f5043354.jpg

BBC News

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Good stuff.

Those rural farmers are so fucking far away from anything. If it can save a few lives and deliver a pizza on its way, good stuff.

Charlatan

Neo Member
All those words and not one mention of any sort of range to which they could deliver. Seems like an important fact to mention. Without knowing the drones' range it's difficult for me to evaluate how effective this could be in delivering disaster supplies and/or Amazon packages.

Aiii

So not worth it
So if you live in an apartment building or even a house without a yard you're either screwed or have to climb the roof to get to your package?

Or even worse your heart attack kit?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So if you live in an apartment building or even a house without a yard you're either screwed or have to climb the roof to get to your package?

Or even worse your heart attack kit?

If you live in either of those places chances are you're not out in the arse end of nowhere and ambulances can reach you within a respectable time.

Noshino

hmm... What happens if someone downs the drone somehow and steals your package?

are you going to be waiting outside for the drone to arrive?

besides, current delivery systems also have the same problem unless you pay extra to require a signature/proof of delivery.

All those words and not one mention of any sort of range to which they could deliver. Seems like an important fact to mention. Without knowing the drones' range it's difficult for me to evaluate how effective this could be in delivering disaster supplies and/or Amazon packages.

well, you gotta remember that Google also has solar panels floating around in the sky (project loon) as we speak.

they could always improve the technology to work together

Google's self-flying vehicle project was first conceived of as a way to deliver defibrillator kits to people suspected of having heart attacks. The idea was that the drones would transport the equipment faster than an ambulance could.

"When you have a tool like this you can really allow the operators of those emergency services to add an entirely new dimension to the set of tools and solutions that they can think of," said Dave Voss, incoming leader of Project Wing. The prototype vehicles that the company has built have successfully been tested by delivering packages to remote farms in Queensland, Australia from neighbouring properties. Australia was selected as a test site due to what Google calls "progressive" rules about the use of drones, which are more tightly controlled in other parts of the word.

1. so are people supposed to use the defibrillators on themselves?
2. I guess these drones will also cost people more jobs.
3. so sorry Google that countries have regulations on drones imposed by governments elected by the people instead of freaking shareholders.

1. so are people supposed to use the defibrillators on themselves?
2. I guess these drones will also cost people more jobs.
3. so sorry Google that countries have regulations on drones imposed by governments elected by the people instead of freaking shareholders.
You know those defibrillators in shopping centres that you think you're not allowed to touch, and because of that someone dies because all you idiots are standing around looking at the defibrillator thinking "if only someone could use that thing on this heart attack"? They talk you through it. The thing says "put this thing on the heart attack" and you put it on. It says "take this thing off or youll kill him" and you take it off. So, yes, people can use defibrillators on themselves.

These things are being trialled on farms in Australia. Whatever your range concerns are, remember that they're being trialled on farms in Australia.

besides, current delivery systems also have the same problem unless you pay extra to require a signature/proof of delivery.

well, you gotta remember that Google also has solar panels floating around in the sky (project loon) as we speak.

they could always improve the technology to work together
Thank you for this. How did I not know about this?

Noshino

You know those defibrillators in shopping centres that you think you're not allowed to touch, and because of that someone dies because all you idiots are standing around looking at the defibrillator thinking "if only someone could use that thing on this heart attack"? They talk you through it. The thing says "put this thing on the heart attack" and you put it on. It says "take this thing off or youll kill him" and you take it off. So, yes, people can use defibrillators on themselves.

These things are being trialled on farms in Australia. Whatever your range concerns are, remember that they're being trialled on farms in Australia.

Thank you for this. How did I not know about this?

well, they are currently being used to power their wifi equipment

but like i said, we further improvements, and if needed, they could also use said balloons as charging stations for their drones.

So what's stopping people from hanging out with bb guns and shooting these down from the sky?

I don't know about Australia, but in the US that would be a federal crime

18 U.S. Code § 1702 - Obstruction of correspondence

Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to other countries.

Regardless, people don't hang around shooting mailmen. Why would this be any different?

Hell, whoever does would be an idiot given that the drones have cameras on board as well.

TarNaru33

Banned

I was more talking about the drone being intercepted in mid-destination. There is no way these things won't have some type of pattern that malicious people can observe.

Most people would leave the package alone though, I was just being hypothetical. Like will it cause a rise in price for insuring delivery for consumers

Yeah I think there's a lot of potential for people to just vandalise/steal automated drones.

I was thinking more on lines of hacking it to get someone else's package and maybe even the drone itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom