• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPOD thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the first one of the NeoGaf era?

Anyways
I'm going to order one soon, is there anything I should do to my MP3 collection before I get it?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
umm put them all in iTunes or one of the unlicensed iPod apps which name escapes me at the moment.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You MAY want to wait a bit -- with the announcement of Airport Express and AirTunes, I'm guessing that we'll soon see the introduction of a 4th generation iPod with 802.11g and AirTunes built in. Then you'll be able to wirelessly stream from your iPod to any stereo system.

Of course this means they'll try to clear the distribution channel of 3rd gen iPods, which means you'll likely find some good deals on the older models. :)

Bebpo

Banned
Woah, good timing. Just bought my first ipod yesterday.

One thing I was curious about is, can you install codecs on your ipod? For instance to play .ape,.ogg,.mpc, etc..?

Also from messing around with itunes yesterday I found it pretty annoying that it wouldn't let me add songs with no artist or album info into my library. So I guess I gotta go put info's on a whole bunch of albums :(

fart

Savant
SteveMeister said:
You MAY want to wait a bit -- with the announcement of Airport Express and AirTunes, I'm guessing that we'll soon see the introduction of a 4th generation iPod with 802.11g and AirTunes built in. Then you'll be able to wirelessly stream from your iPod to any stereo system.

Of course this means they'll try to clear the distribution channel of 3rd gen iPods, which means you'll likely find some good deals on the older models. :)
this is very unlikely. RF eats up battery and they're having enough trouble with power consumption as it is.

we will see the 4g ipods soon (6 months?), but they'll probably have larger capacities and slightly different casing. i wouldn't be surprised if they have people working feverishly on reducing power consumption as well.

you can't install codecs (huh?) if apple feels like adding support they will, otherwise they won't. this goes for just about every manufacturer

xsarien

daedsiluap
Bebpo said:
Woah, good timing. Just bought my first ipod yesterday.

One thing I was curious about is, can you install codecs on your ipod? For instance to play .ape,.ogg,.mpc, etc..?

Also from messing around with itunes yesterday I found it pretty annoying that it wouldn't let me add songs with no artist or album info into my library. So I guess I gotta go put info's on a whole bunch of albums :(

You can't add codecs to the iPod. It supports .mp3, .m4a, .aif, and .wav natively. Also, you can add untagged files to iTunes just fine, it just (usually) puts them at the dead bottom of your library until you identify them in the tag. They do this with the iPod in mind, because the thing relies on tags exclusively to identify and list songs.

So BJ, if you do one thing before you order, tag everything. iTunes makes it easy, as well as plenty of 3rd party applications. I know in iTunes you can do block selections and have, say, an artist or album field cascade down to everything you've selected.

yoshifumi

Banned
i'm thinking about getting one this summer...will i be able to keep my filenames the same or will is the default setting to change the hell out of everything like itunes?

xsarien

daedsiluap
yoshifumi said:
i'm thinking about getting one this summer...will i be able to keep my filenames the same or will is the default setting to change the hell out of everything like itunes?

The "Organize files" option hasn't been turned on as a default since about a week after iTunes for Windows was announced. Don't worry about it. But it's irrelevant, the iPod doesn't go by filenames, it goes by what's in the tags.

Fusebox

Banned
Man I love my iPod, I just wish it sounded like my Zen, but I'm looking forward to the day when I've got a 1 terabyte mp3 and movie player and 1 gigapixel camera built into my mobile phone ..

portable.jpg

xsarien

daedsiluap
Fusebox said:
Man I love my iPod, I just wish it sounded like my Zen, but I'm looking forward to the day when I've got a 1 terabyte mp3 and movie player and 1 gigapixel camera built into my mobile phone ..

Enjoy having the battery crap out when you need to actually use that phone to make a call. :p

Fusebox

Banned
Well true, but I suspect that by the time we have gigapixel cameras and the ability to store a terabyte of data in something as small as a mobile phone we might have moved on from using lithium ion batteries. :)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
ipods are fantastic, the one thing i wouldn't recommend is using system software 2.2 (or upgrading to system software 2.2) which seems to cause no end of battery problems for me. i've since gone back to the 2.0.1 version which is a bit slower but no fake 'you're out of battery power' problems.. oh yeh and do what everyone else said about tagging your files properly ;p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is there much word out there on Apple's roadmap for iPod - i.e. when fourth generation iPods will be announced/released? I am looking to buy an iPod soon, but I can wait if 4th gen ones will be out, say, even by the end of the year.

Mr Gump

Banned
Has anyone ever had their ipod just turn off on them during playback? Battery was fine and music was going for a good 30 min before it just stops and shuts off, resulting in me having to turn it back.

Fucking pain in the arse at parties but it doesnt happen very often at all, but still.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
mr gump : what software version you using? mine used to do that with 2.1 and 2.2 software versions.. dodgy :\.. so i downgraded to 2.0.1.

other times it would just switch off and say i had no battery, then turn on and the battery meter is half full again

i dont know how apple have managed to make the software MORE buggy as it goes along but it looks like thats the case .. well it is for me anyway :p

Mr Gump

Banned
julls said:
mr gump : what software version you using? mine used to do that with 2.1 and 2.2 software versions.. dodgy :\.. so i downgraded to 2.0.1.

other times it would just switch off and say i had no battery, then turn on and the battery meter is half full again

i dont know how apple have managed to make the software MORE buggy as it goes along but it looks like thats the case .. well it is for me anyway :p
How do i downgrade to a previous version of the software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom