• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Elite Dangerous already doing (some) of what Star Citizen hopes to be?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I am not here to shit on Star Citizen as there are plenty of places around the web that have that covered. I just want to play a new Wing Commander-like game and I haven't since StarLancer on Dreamcast. I thought Star Citizen was supposed to be that at some point but at this time I can't be bothered to to get through all the layers of what that game is or could be. Now that I can play Elite Dangerous on Steam Deck I'm wondering will it scratch that WC itch or should I be looking for another game? Does NO MAN SKY fit into the narrative at all or is it more it's own thing.

april6e

Check out gameplay for Everspace, Free Space, Star Wars Squadron, Rebel Galaxy and such and see if that looks to be up your alley.

No Man's Sky is really good but its not really like Wing Commander and has very basic, repetitive combat. Same with Elite Dangerous, it has that sort of combat in it but its more barebones. That game is more of a resource collecting and exploration game.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I am not here to shit on Star Citizen as there are plenty of places around the web that have that covered. I just want to play a new Wing Commander-like game and I haven't since StarLancer on Dreamcast. I thought Star Citizen was supposed to be that at some point but at this time I can't be bothered to to get through all the layers of what that game is or could be. Now that I can play Elite Dangerous on Steam Deck I'm wondering will it scratch that WC itch or should I be looking for another game? Does NO MAN SKY fit into the narrative at all or is it more it's own thing.
Go play Star Wars Squadron or Rebel Galaxy 2 (not the first one), you'll get your wing commander fix :)

But no, Elite Dangerous does not scratch the Wing Commander itch.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Elite Dangerous is essentially exactly what most people would want from a space sim.

I do feel there latest expansion was a misstep and have stopped playing it since, Odyssey was a cool concept but what it adds is just outweighed by what costs, especially in terms of preformance I have a PC that was in the top 1% of the steam spec charts last review and since Odyssey is just... well its not what it used to be.

God I wish we could go back :(

I do miss space trucking it was honestly relaxing, and online it was always intresting coming in and out of hubs and seeing what people where flying.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Elite Dangerous is an endless game that will give you space trucking with mediocre combat and a really shitty story.

I haven't played Odyssey, but I've read it's extremely underwhelming.

Guilty_AI

Elite Dangerous is essentially exactly what most people would want from a space sim.

I do feel there latest expansion was a misstep and have stopped playing it since, Odyssey was a cool concept but what it adds is just outweighed by what costs, especially in terms of preformance I have a PC that was in the top 1% of the steam spec charts last review and since Odyssey is just... well its not what it used to be.

I do miss space trucking it was honestly relaxing, and online it was always intresting coming in and out of hubs and seeing what people where flying.
I'm curious about this actually, what exactly has Odyssey done to the game? I haven't played ED in a long time. I know about the performance issues it brought but in what other ways did it fuck up the game?

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Elite Dangerous is a Space Trucking Simulator. It isn't bad but there are a lot of reasons why ED players are leaving for Star Citizen. What Star Citizen is attempting to do is be Ready Player One (space edition). Two completely different ambitions.

At this moment in time.
ED: a complete game with an economy, massive grind, no multicrew ships, and mediocre combat. If you enjoy space trucking this one is for you.
Star Citizen: 1/4 of a game with great combat, multicrew ships, can get up and walk around larger ships, good to great combat but low content and nearly non-existent economy (but the economy expansion is coming... eventually). If you enjoy freedom to space truck, bounty hunt, be a medic, PvP, or do co-op stuff this is for you. Game is very much an alpha though.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
ED combat is better than SC combat right now, it's not really even close. SC is nowhere near its end state either; shields are unbalanced or bugged, armor isn't really implemented, they keep changing the speed of combat (and rumors are they will slow it again, bringing it closer to ... ED), they've changed weapon firing rates, missiles still aren't balanced. So the jury is still out on SC combat in my opinion, but if I had to compare I'd say ED's is a lot better at present.

But I actually find the flight model and combat to be really quite excellent in Elite. The ships have discernable mass and momentum, responsive but not jerky, and there is a good paper/rock/scissors to the loadouts. I think what Elite does best are the technical pillars - the feel of flying, the fidelity of the galaxy, the balancing of the ships, and the procgen is pretty solid actually. Where it falls over is storytelling and individual player agency, which is where I think SC is going to shine.

On Odyssey I think it's a missed opportunity. It feels like shortcuts were taken. It's only half implemented into the "ship" game and there are lots of choices made that show you how rushed it was - for example the payouts between ground and ship missions are way out of whack, the prices are all over the place (a suit of armor costs more than a hold full of gold or even a new ship in some cases), and you can't do seemingly obvious things like modify your ship loadout from a terminal on foot.

That's my main problem with Elite ... it's fun to play for a little while but then you start to see all the missed connections and lack of overall cohesiveness. I'm not sure if it's a lack of ambition, or funding, or something else but it's a shame because for a good 5 years or so there was really nothing else like it.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Neither are any good at all if you want the real spacemens experience. Check out this upcoming game called urban spacemens as it will have everything you can ever dream of and more.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm curious about this actually, what exactly has Odyssey done to the game? I haven't played ED in a long time. I know about the performance issues it brought but in what other ways did it fuck up the game?

I think it depends what you want out of the game in alot of ways, to me it felt like a bunch of stupid grinding for activities that you only use the stuff you need to grind for which felt disconnected with the rest of the game. The combat in ED wasent really the focus for most people and again this seems to be the case in the ground combat too. To be fair I didn't spend to much time with it because the preformance issues just made me feel like the title was unplayable, and after a few patches I just gave up as I had picked up other titles to play in the interim.

If it works and you get good preformance I would never not suggest people give it a go, but I just feel the game has moved on from what I played it for.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Star Citizen is an MMO. You are confused with Squadron 42.

Buggy Loop

In the end, as cool as the concept of a galaxy and planets to scale is…

I stopped playing. It’s too big, too empty, too vast, which is sadly all too real even if we could travel at faster than the speed of light.

I wish a dev would come in with a tight single player space game like Freespace 2, I think it’s for the best that devs stop focusing on simulations of the universe and to go back to what makes a memorable space adventure

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Elite Dangerous is not like WIng Commander. I like Elite but it is far more complex in what it wants from a user than a WC game. WC is a story driven FPS. Elite is far more of a simulation. I am hoping SQ42 is more like WC and less like what they are doing with Star Citizen.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
In the end, as cool as the concept of a galaxy and planets to scale is…

I stopped playing. It’s too big, too empty, too vast, which is sadly all too real even if we could travel at faster than the speed of light.

I wish a dev would come in with a tight single player space game aka Freespace 2, I think it’s for the best that devs stop focusing on simulations of the universe and to go back to what makes a memorable space adventure

Closest vibe to a Freespace 2 I have got in recent years is Everspace 2, its radically diffrent from the first game, less rouge like and more story focussed... I just wish they had the trade lanes...

EDIT: I'm an idiot read "Freespace" and my mind went strait to "Freelancer" guess where waiting on Squadron 42... if it ever becomes a thing.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Star Citizen is an MMO. You are confused with Squadron 42.

It's been so dam long but I thought they were they same game like you could follow the game story (Squadron 42) or you could go off and just fuck around in the universe of Star Citizen but they are separate things?

Sentenza

Well, give it a try and judge for ytourself, but according to many it's pretty much the other way around.

Odyssey, the last expansion for ED, was so bad that caused a mass migration of Elite players to Star Citizen.
There were a bunch of Elite "content creators" that now cover almost exclusively SC.

Lady Jane

Banned
Elite Dangerous is the definition as "wide as an ocean, deep as puddle." It's the perfect chill with a drink type game but after a dozen hours, there's nothing left to do besides grind for better ships and that eventually has a cap.

Frontier's focus on new features instead of reworking what is currently in the game is the main reason why I don't play it anymore.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Well, give it a try and judge for ytourself, but according to many it's pretty much the other way around.

Odyssey, the last expansion for ED, was so bad that caused a mass migration of Elite players to Star Citizen.
There were a bunch of Elite "content creators" that now cover almost exclusively SC.

Yeah but I don't think I can play Star Citizen on the SteamDeck. (Maybe I can I haven't dived into it yet.)

bbeach123

Elite had the best sound design and the world is amazing .

Sadly it boring af , no content , most shittiest progression system I ever played ( worst than warframe even ) .

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's been so dam long but I thought they were they same game like you could follow the game story (Squadron 42) or you could go off and just fuck around in the universe of Star Citizen but they are separate things?

2 seperate games in the same Universe.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
2 seperate games in the same Universe.

So after looking it up cause like I said it's been forever. They originally were the same game or rather Squadron 42 was part of the same game as Star Citizen but yeah they eventually split into separate games. Interesting enough, Sq42 still has an active fundraiser campaign going... I can't imagine why?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So after looking it up cause like I said it's been forever. They originally were the same game or rather Squadron 42 was part of the same game as Star Citizen but yeah they eventually split into separate games. Interesting enough, Sq42 still has an active fundraiser campaign going... I can't imagine why?

It was always 2 seperate games from the beginning. It was Star Citizen (MMO) and Squadron 42 (single player game taking place in one of the systems). They are creating 2 games who completely share every technology.

When you back Star Citizen, you also back Squadron 42. It's the same funding from the start.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Almost all of CIG is working on SQ42 right now. Chris Roberts intends for SQ42 to be both the tutorial and story backbone for Star Citizen (the MMO).

Essentially when you boot up the game you will be given a choice; Conscript into the military and do a tour (SQ42) or opt out of the military and start Star Citizen as a civilian (you will owe the UEE an opt out fee that has to be paid back or bounty hunters will be sent after you). If you chose to join the military you will play through SQ42 and then at the end you will retire and join Star Citizen as Ex-Military. Former military will be given a military stipend and have access to purchase ships that people who didn't serve don't have access to (namely the F8C lightning).

Death will eventually be semi-permanent. Basically if your character ejects from a ship and is rescued, or gets shot in a non fatal place but becomes incapacitated but saved, then they respawn at medical facilities just fine. If they "die" (Shot in head, or blow up in ship, or suffocate in space) they will respawn but lose a "Life". Roberts hand waves away the life system as "Close calls" that the super space medicine is able to save you from. Every time you lose a life your character will come back changed. Think scars, cybernetic limbs, etc. Eventually you will run out of lives and that character will have a "True Death" and be gone forever. All of their gear, money, ships, etc will be willed to your new character. You continue playing as this new character with only losses to reputation.

SQ42 takes place in the Odin system and involves the war with the Vanduul.

Star Citizen (also called the PU) currently takes place in the Stanton System (and soon other systems) and will be a sandbox MMO.

Right now you can only play star citizen and it isn't anywhere near finished. Next year SC gets the Pyro system and will start becoming more of a game. After SQ42 launches the Odin system will likely also be added to SC along with the Nyx system they are working on. I don't think SC will ever be "Finished" as it isn't a game that has an ending as long as funding is there. They will likely launch a "beta" and then just never call it anything else.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Almost all of CIG is working on SQ42 right now. Chris Roberts intends for SQ42 to be both the tutorial and story backbone for Star Citizen (the MMO).

Essentially when you boot up the game you will be given a choice; Conscript into the military and do a tour (SQ42) or opt out of the military and start Star Citizen as a civilian (you will owe the UEE an opt out fee that has to be paid back or bounty hunters will be sent after you). If you chose to join the military you will play through SQ42 and then at the end you will retire and join Star Citizen as Ex-Military. Former military will be given a military stipend and have access to purchase ships that people who didn't serve don't have access to (namely the F8C lightning).

Death will eventually be semi-permanent. Basically if your character ejects from a ship and is rescued, or gets shot in a non fatal place but becomes incapacitated but saved, then they respawn at medical facilities just fine. If they "die" (Shot in head, or blow up in ship, or suffocate in space) they will respawn but lose a "Life". Roberts hand waves away the life system as "Close calls" that the super space medicine is able to save you from. Every time you lose a life your character will come back changed. Think scars, cybernetic limbs, etc. Eventually you will run out of lives and that character will have a "True Death" and be gone forever. All of their gear, money, ships, etc will be willed to your new character. You continue playing as this new character with only losses to reputation.

Star Citizen (also called the PU) currently takes place in the Stanton System (and soon other systems) and will be a sandbox MMO.

Right now you can only play star citizen and it isn't anywhere near finished. Next year SC gets the Pyro system and will start becoming more of a game. After SQ42 launches the Odin system will likely also be added to SC along with the Nyx system they are working on. I don't think SC will ever be "Finished" as it isn't a game that has an ending as long as funding is there. They will likely launch a "beta" and then just never call it anything else.
That is good info. Thanks.

I love everything about Elite Dangerous except it's lack of content. If it had the player-enabling mechanics of EVE Online and the variety of No Man Sky, it would be an amazing game, but I don't think Frontier is capable of that. Also, Odyssey introduced Engineers, who are basically space wizards that wave a magic wand and your ship can suddenly jump twice the range with no downsides (apart from the grinding). In PvP, somebody who isn't using Engineer upgrades will quickly end up getting turned into a flaming wreck.

Elite Dangerous is an endless game that will give you space trucking with mediocre combat and a really shitty story.

I haven't played Odyssey, but I've read it's extremely underwhelming.

Shitty story?

There is no story in Elite Dangerous. It's a "make your own fun" type of game, through and through (just like the original Elite games).

I played it up until after the Engineers update, when the zargoids started first appearing and fighting with players, but the pace of game updates together with the dev's focus on listening to only the most hardcore elite purists in the community turned me off. The game is a fucking chore to play. It's not a game you can sit down and play for a short two-hour evening play session and come away feeling like you made any meaningful progress. Everything is a fucking grind, worse than the worst JRPGs. You'd spend the majority of your playtime jumping between star systems because the jump range of most of the ships is pathetic.

The moment-to-moment combat within combat zones and when battling pirates in asteroid fields is actually excellent. The flight mechanics with lateral thruster control enabling complex manoeuvres is absolutely top of its class. But all that is undermined by a sheer lack of anything interesting to actually do in the game, because there is very little overarching story plot that is told effectively within the game that provides the connective tissue and context to the absurdly repetitive activities that the current game offers.

Patrick S.

Banned

On console it's like before Odyssey, isn't it?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
On console it's like before Odyssey, isn't it?

You know... I have no idea because I play on PC to take advantage of my captains chair...

h5AWyiX.jpg

But if it is... I would give it my highest recommendation to at least give it a shot, I played it like truck simulator in space after awhile, but I used to see plenty of combat vessels, some times a little to close for comfort, and the mining wings knocking about so you don't gave to lug cargo or passengers like me.

Rambone

As others have noted, there is nothing out there of recent that is like Wing Commander unfortunately where you are a rookie spaceship pilot on a carrier based ship climbing the ranks of the military in a single player narrative.

If you liked Wing Commander Privateer however, there are many good experiences to scratch that itch:
Elite Dangerous
Star Citizen:
No Mans Sky:
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw: Pretty much an exact clone of the original Privateer.
X4

Nothing is going to really scratch your WC itch until Squadron 42 (not to be confused with Star Citizen) comes out which is the spiritual successor to Wing Commander.

Patrick S.

Banned
You know... I have no idea because I play on PC to take advantage of my captains chair...

h5AWyiX.jpg

But if it is... I would give it my highest recommendation to at least give it a shot, I played it like truck simulator in space after awhile, but I used to see plenty of combat vessels, some times a little to close for comfort, and the mining wings knocking about so you don't gave to lug cargo or passengers like me.
Nice rig, Sir!

AFAIK console Elite Dangerous was more or less on par with the PC version as far as updates are concerned, but they've since decided not to launch Odissey on console because they're concentrating their efforts on fixing the PC version, which is apparently a big mess.

Comandr

Wow. Great post. I’ve been a stair citizen since 2014 and there is even some stuff I wasn’t privy to here.

Comandr

its all theorycrafting so far
Who asked you! :mad: Also anything is theory crafting until a given product actually ships. I mean up until a couple months before Pokémon Red and Green launched you were allowed to take trainers Pokémon when you won. So anything can change between now and launch.

zcaa0g

Banned
The Freespace open source project is great. Tons of campaigns and missions and greatly improved graphics from the original.

darrylgorn

The real pull with Elite Dangerous is the monotony, so if you can't accept that, then go for something more exciting.

If you like getting lost in the complexities of spaceship maintenance and navigation, with an endless job list and resource management, then this is the game for you.

It embraces the slow, methodical pace of moving through space and it's no surprise that the 2001 soundtrack features pretty heavily in the game.

In a way, it's kind of like a more tactile version of EVE.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Who asked you! :mad: Also anything is theory crafting until a given product actually ships. I mean up until a couple months before Pokémon Red and Green launched you were allowed to take trainers Pokémon when you won. So anything can change between now and launch.
I believe you guys will appreciate this...

Ribi

For me it's really simple: no game is worth waiting 10 years for and spending thousands of €$. Not a one.
then even better that you can spend 35$-45$ and play it today. Also the elite crowd cracks me up. How is it that elite "released" yet is just now getting features than an alpha has had for years?

Elite is an early access game the same way Sea of Thieves is. They may be "released" but they hide their early access title by claiming GaaS

Top Bottom