• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it possible to play a PS3 in a van?

terrene

Banned
My band is touring in June and July in a 1998 Chevy Astro. I'm thinking a PS3 would be a great companion on the road, with the DVD playback, the backlog of PS2 games that I have, etc. But, is it possible/safe to power both the PS3 and some kind of monitor (presumably my widescreen LCD will do the trick; LCD uses the least power, right?) from an A/C convertor? I have never been on a tour before and handhelds just aren't enough! I'm afraid of getting bored; besides, if I can make this work, it's like THE CURE for my gaming backlog.

As a sidenote, I will have a laptop + broadbant internet through Cingular wireless, so that's at least cool. If all else fails, there's always the Space Quest collection...

Armitage

The PS3 uses about 150-200 Watts in use according to wikipedia, so that shouldn't be toooo much of a problem. I suspect you're not going to be able to lug an HDTV around, though.

You should call up Xzibit. He could have it done for you..

I was on tour with a band before. Didn't really have a problem with being bored on the road. Whoever wasn't driving was probably just sleeping and we always found fun stuff to do in random towns when we had a little down time.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
matt_foley.jpg

I wouldn't recommend it. One bump and you're $600 in the hole and you probably won't be in a town longer than 1 day if you have a replacement plan.

Good luck though. Going on tour sounds like the most fun thing in the world.

terrene

Banned
I wonder if there's one of those APC battery backup units that could last for like 8 hours...

I was on tour with a band before. Didn't really have a problem with being bored on the road.
That's cool and all, but we're talking about a month and a half of my life, here. That's a long time to spend in a damn minivan.

Lobster

Banned
I know this a crap idea. But how bout getting a portable DVD player and hooking it up. Sure its not a big screen but hey.

terrene

Banned
BlindN-Fan said:
I know this a crap idea. But how bout getting a portable DVD player and hooking it up. Sure its not a big screen but hey.
You're just bitter because I don't want to bring my Wii.

terrene said:
I wonder if there's one of those APC battery backup units that could last for like 8 hours...

That's cool and all, but we're talking about a month and a half of my life, here. That's a long time to spend in a damn minivan.

Yeah, I did a month in a minivan and then about two months in a station wagon....

It wasn't so bad.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Which cities are you stopping in? Maybe we can play some VF5 or something because I have nobody else to play with

SumGamer

How many people will be in that van?
I'd say you can but I wouldn't recommend it either.
What if a bear come out of nowhere and take your PS3. I dont think that is written in the warrant so it's probably not covered.

kenta

Has no PEINS
pooteeweet said:
I live by Trabuco Hills High.
Well neato, I live next to MVHS

If you ever feel like driving across town to meet a total stranger and play games you probably have no interest in but only at night since that's the only time I have to play games, look me up!

kenta said:
Well neato, I live next to MVHS

If you ever feel like driving across town to meet a total stranger and play games you probably have no interest in but only at night since that's the only time I have to play games, look me up!

Forget it. I didn't realize you were so far away.

j/k

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
terrene said:
My band is touring in June and July in a 1998 Chevy Astro. I'm thinking a PS3 would be a great companion on the road, with the DVD playback, the backlog of PS2 games that I have, etc. But, is it possible/safe to power both the PS3 and some kind of monitor (presumably my widescreen LCD will do the trick; LCD uses the least power, right?) from an A/C convertor? I have never been on a tour before and handhelds just aren't enough! I'm afraid of getting bored; besides, if I can make this work, it's like THE CURE for my gaming backlog.

As a sidenote, I will have a laptop + broadbant internet through Cingular wireless, so that's at least cool. If all else fails, there's always the Space Quest collection...

If you can get a PS3 playing Resistance online in your car while you're driving around, well, let's just say I might be inclined to send you some kickass schwag if you could give me photos :).

JS

cvxfreak

terrene said:

How much are you paying for Cingular's internet service?

jonezer4

You can't play PS3 in a van, because the accelerometers in the innovative controller would always think the controller is being moved forward 60mph. None of the waggle games would work.

[/joke]

J-Rzez

OK! Here's what you gotta do... you NEED a second battery, especially if you're gonna park and play while not running the van... OPTIMA is preferred, yellow top... get some nice thick power wire and rig it up to the main battery (which, if you can, score an OPTIMA for here too, they're a lil pricey, but i had great luck with them)... The factory alternator will charge both batteries if you wouldn't want to get one of those dual-output stereo specialty ones... The converter will then have two pools to draw power from, and will give you a nice long play time for that as well... plus, you'll have more than enough juice to turn over the van...

I was big into the car modding scene, and still am (though I do all go now rather than some go-some show), so this is from my personal experience specifically on this kinda stuff, dealing with monitors in headrests, actual LCD's in the rear, nice stereo... And I had a 3-stage House of Kolors Kandy Apple Red paintjob that people swooned for...

And no... never did Ghost Ride my Kandy Whip or current Evo... so don't ask...

So all in all, yes, you can play PS3 in a van... Do it! I would in your case... I used to do that all the time at car shows when I got bored, except, I ran a PS2... If I was in the show scene still, I'd sure as hell rock a PS3...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I think, to be on the safe side, you should just get a ps2 with HDloader. If not, a speedbump and your $60 game is ****ed.

Top Bottom