• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Phantasy Star 1 worth £15?

D-X

...with no manual, two holes in the box cover and huge red felt tip pen marks on the case?

I already have 2 and 3 in pretty good condition I'm not sure if I should and wait to see if I can find a better copy for my collection (not likely) and play it on an emulator.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I dunno about PAL but a few years back I got one with a case, cart, and manual with folded corners for like $30... so you can probably do a bit better on the condition. The actual game is excellent, when I saw this at a friend's house back in 1990 I was totally blown away by the animation, setting, and 3D dungeons. It's an absolute classic and holds up much better than DQ1 or FF1. It's also a lot harder, practically requiring use of a walkthrough.

GhaleonEB

D-X said:
...with no manual, two holes in the box cover and huge red felt tip pen marks on the case?

I already have 2 and 3 in pretty good condition I'm not sure if I should and wait to see if I can find a better copy for my collection (not likely) and play it on an emulator.

The actual game is definately worth it. I'd do a little digging for a better copy and some price comparisons, but the game is golden.

Phantasy Star was by far the best console RPG of the 1980s, not counting PSII released in 1989 in Japan but not until 1990 in the west.

Phantasy Star pisses all over Final Fantasy I, II, III, Dragon Quest I, II, II, IV and any other console RPG of the 80s, including all other Master System RPGs.

nothing, and I mean NOTHING can prepare you for the final battle in Phantasy Star, against the greatest evil in the entire universe.

choplifter said:
Phantasy Star was by far the best console RPG of the 1980s, not counting PSII released in 1989 in Japan but not until 1990 in the west.

Phantasy Star pisses all over Final Fantasy I, II, II and Dragon Quest I, II, II, IV and any other console RPG of the 80s, including all other Master System RPGs.

nothing, and I mean NOTHING can prepare you for the final battle in Phantasy Star, against the greatest evil in the entire universe.

Truth...well, DW IV was pretty great, IMO, and not actually an 80's title, anyway. PS 1 is worth the dough...though having the manual is nice.

Top Bottom