• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sonic Forces worth $10?

Shantae

Banned
Having seen the Sonic movie recently, I've just been in the mood for more Sonic games to play. The choice of Sonic games on the Switch is already slim pickins' and I already own Sonic Mania, which pretty much just leaves Sonic Forces. I kept hearing mostly negative things about it when it released, which makes even the $10 price an uncertainty for me.

It's either that, or maybe picking up Sonic Unleashed that's on sale for digitally for Xbox 360 right now for $7. Those are kinda the only 2 Sonic games I don't have and haven't played yet.

Shantae

Banned
I already own Generations...I should maybe download that though, cuz I just noticed that it's listed under Xbox One X enhanced games. That's pretty sweet, how's the framerate?

It's your choice, Forces or Unleashed aren't bad video games, they're just incredibly uneven with real low points.

I don't know. I think i wouldn't bother with them, and in the end i highly recommend Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. Especially Sonic Colors if you haven't played that, it's a really great video game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Bought the physical Switch version for about $10. Was worth it enough, as it's my daughter playing it mostly and honestly kids have a shit taste in games. Especially before their teens, whatever they get to play they're happy. It explains Fortnite, I guess. :messenger_smirking:
Totally agreed

Codes 208

Wait for it to be a freebie, the only recent sonic game worth your money is mania (and possibly sonic racing if you dont have access to mario kart)
I already own Generations...I should maybe download that though, cuz I just noticed that it's listed under Xbox One X enhanced games. That's pretty sweet, how's the framerate?
framerate is pretty solid and playing it in native 4k is pretty sweet.

Saber

Gold Member
Nope.

Get Generations and Colors(if you can). Sonic Mania and CD are good games and you gonna love them if you're classic fan.

Even Lost World, which is rather mediocre, is far better than this trash.

Worth it!
There's lots of stages and secret stages, Shadow free story dlc...(and u can play as him on sonic stages)

It's fun, i guarantee!

Last edited:
GenuineClearCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

To be honest I wouldn't know. Haven't played a Sonic game since 2002.

Doom85

I mean, I actually had a decent time with it. It's certainly not the best 3D Sonic game by a long shot, but it's also not the worse. 2006 and Boom (the Wii U version) are the only absolutely awful 3D Sonic games IMHO, the rest range from meh to pretty good. Heck, in terms of Forces I think the 2D Sonic levels are the weakest, his movement and jumping feels a little off than 2D Sonic should. The Avatar levels are okay, and the 3D Sonic levels are generally good. Also, the OST is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Having said that though, I acknowledge I'm in the minority here. So the odds of anyone enjoying the game are low given its general reception. So no, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you feel compelled to check out every Sonic game.

I mean for $10, sure. It's not the greatest game, and it's pretty short, but it's far from the worst. It's competent, if underwhelming, but for that price I'd say it's worth a try.

its_Ditz

Absolutely not. It is not disastrous like Sonic 06 or Sonic Boom but very simply a badly designed game. I'm talking REAL BAD game and stage design.

Also, look at this lol

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I just remembered sonic generations is on sale and is X enhanced. I lost my game to my ex many, many years back.

But it’s still eight quid?! Jesus... the games ancient, bloody hell!!!

Ryu Kaiba

Shame they didn't have a game prepped to coincide with the movie.
The only thing they've been pushing in ads is Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics.

nikeboy94

The boost formula implemented in Forces was awful compared to Generations or Unleashed. It restricted the player's movement alot and the level design was boring + very linear.

So no, it's not even worth $10. Get Generations or Unleashed.

EricB

Bought the physical Switch version for about $10. Was worth it enough, as it's my daughter playing it mostly and honestly kids have a shit taste in games. Especially before their teens, whatever they get to play they're happy. It explains Fortnite, I guess. :messenger_smirking:

My five-year-old son would beg to differ. He has put over a hundred hours into some of his favorite games (the Transformers Cybertron games, Mario Odyssey, Zelda: Breath of the Wild). He loves Sonic games, but he bounced off Forces pretty hard. It is a frustrating, poorly-made game with puzzling design choices all over the place. Your money would be better spent pretty much anywhere else. We just grabbed the recent SEGA Ages version of Sonic 2 and he has been on it as if it were a new game--even though he's already played Sonic 2 a lot on other systems.

Last edited:
No

Get Unleashed or Generations instead.

Then download Generations unleashed mod:

Should a been the launch title for a new Dreamcast.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you did not have Gens yet, you should get that first, but Forces is a good game, well worth 10$. I would say get it, if you enjoy boost Sonic.

Miles708

I'll follow the general sentiment and agree that Sonic Forces, while maybe worth 10$, it's a pretty meh experience. It's not broken or buggy , it's just missing any kind of ambition and imagination. It's a competent but totally flat and unremarkable game.

Sonic Unleashed, on the other hand, it's a few steps away from being a masterpiece, and even night sessions are much more fun once you discover that you can just hold the button to automatically hold on every ledge. Also, night music is genuinely fantastic.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I'll follow the general sentiment and agree that Sonic Forces, while maybe worth 10$, it's a pretty meh experience. It's not broken or buggy , it's just missing any kind of ambition and imagination. It's a competent but totally flat and unremarkable game.

Sonic Unleashed, on the other hand, it's a few steps away from being a masterpiece, and even night sessions are much more fun once you discover that you can just hold the button to automatically hold on every ledge. Also, night music is genuinely fantastic.

The boss fights in Forces are OK.

Top Bottom