• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Subnautica a No Man's Sea?

Aenima

Subnautica has received pretty solid reviews and its now being available for free (no subscriptions required) to PS4/PS5 players as its one of the games from the ongoing Sony campaing PLAY AT HOME. And the new batch of free games was planed to start releasing today.

So while i was checking the PS Store today to see if the games was already available I checked the Subnautica trailer, and it looked alot like No Man Sky to me, just underwater instead of space.

So in the trailer it seems a survival game, thers base building, that also look alot like the bases you build in NMS, and even some kind of submarine?

Anyone that played Subnautica and NMS can tell me if its anything close to NMS? Cuz if it is, im gonna spend some mad hours playing this game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've played both (NMS at launch) and while both games have a core gameplay of using resources, they are very different games.

Subnautica has a main goal of getting off the planet after crash landing. It's also not randomly generated and the world and objectives will always be the same. It's how you go about doing things that changes.

NMS has changed a lot since I played it, but I loved Subnautica, and didn't enjoy NMS.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Please excuse my expletives but Subnautica is a fucking shitting awsome game!

We need more creepy underwater capers like it. The only other game that gave me the heebie jeebies as good as it was Soma.

I bought Soma for like $2 or $3 during the Xbox holiday sale. How did I miss this game before, absolutely LOVED IT?!?

Hmm, I think you might have something there about needing more underwater games. :messenger_beaming:

Woo-Fu

Banned
No, not even remotely.

It's not really useful calling NMS a survival game. Sure, it has some survival modes but at its heart it is not a survival game.

dorkimoe

Need to get back into this. Tried it on gamepass. Couldn’t figure out what to do. But seemed like my type of game haha

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, but it's awesome. A crafting survival game with a fixed map, a story, and a simple goal. Took me 20something hours, I think I installed a map mod and that was it. Strongly recommend.

Termite

I enjoyed No Man's Sky for what it was but Subnautica is vastly superior, and one of my favourite games of the past five years.

You're on a pre-designed map, and you have specific things you need to do to escape the planet. That alone makes it more of a traditional video game experience than No Man's Sky.

I played No Man's Sky at launch and it was more of a space exploration sim than a survival game. I don't even remember base building, and I think I platinumed the game.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Prediction-crystal-ball_gmnhgp.png

I have a prediction that this thread will turn into people crapping on No Mans Sky version 1.0 while at the same time praising Subnautica's 2020 build.

Aside from that yes OP definitely play it if you enjoyed NMS.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I have a prediction that this thread will turn into people crapping on No Mans Sky version 1.0 while at the same time praising Subnautica's 2020 build.

What? I played Subnautica in 2018 and it was excellent. I played NMS when it was released for £50 and it was total dogshit. Do you mean Subnautica's 2017 build or something?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Subnauutica is way better imo, way more to the game.
I have tried to get into NMS numerous times over the years, and i just cant, even though the premise is right up my alley.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Subnautica has received pretty solid reviews and its now being available for free (no subscriptions required) to PS4/PS5 players as its one of the games from the ongoing Sony campaing PLAY AT HOME. And the new batch of free games was planed to start releasing today.

So while i was checking the PS Store today to see if the games was already available I checked the Subnautica trailer, and it looked alot like No Man Sky to me, just underwater instead of space.

So in the trailer it seems a survival game, thers base building, that also look alot like the bases you build in NMS, and even some kind of submarine?

Anyone that played Subnautica and NMS can tell me if its anything close to NMS? Cuz if it is, im gonna spend some mad hours playing this game.

I can see the comparison. There is definitely some similarities. Funny enough both involve
aliens
and the crafting is very similar. You can build vehicles, it's just one is underwater and one spans "trillions" of stars and planets.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
What? I played Subnautica in 2018 and it was excellent. I played NMS when it was released for £50 and it was total dogshit. Do you mean Subnautica's 2017 build or something?
You missed my entire point, which is the fact that I'm predicting some people will be judging NMS 2021 edition by 2016 standards and then comparing it to a 2021 edition of Subnautica. People tend to do that when NMS pops up in a discussion because they still feel burned by the 1.0 version.

Dr.Morris79

I bought Soma for like $2 or $3 during the Xbox holiday sale. How did I miss this game before, absolutely LOVED IT?!?

Hmm, I think you might have something there about needing more underwater games. :messenger_beaming:
Best game i'd played in years Soma was! Really do wish we had more Sci-Fi jaunts under the sea

I generally hate the sea in real life, I'm alright on it, fishing it and swimming on it (Sometimes) but under it, i'll pass...

Dont think i've ever crapped myself so much having to jump off a boat in Cyprus

But gaming? Bring it on.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The anxiety when you dive down into the dark abyss in Subnautica the first couple of times is unrivaled in games today. Or feeling the claustrophobia trying to navigate a kelp jungle. Or hearing a new frightening sound surrounded by nothing but darkness. Or... or...

One of my all time favorites.

I never experienced anything like it in NMS.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The anxiety when you dive down into the dark abyss in Subnautica the first couple of times is unrivaled in games today. Or feeling the claustrophobia trying to navigate a kelp jungle. Or hearing a new frightening sound surrounded by nothing but darkness. Or... or...

One of my all time favorites.

I never experienced anything like it in NMS.

Yeah it's, one of my faves this gen too.

Here's the thing, everyone with a PS4/PS5 needs to download this game.

Sony is giving it to you absolutely FREE with no restrictions/sub requirements and it's your to keep forever. It's a fantastic game, but if it turns out you don't like it, Sony won't penalize you if you don't play it. You can even delete it from your hard drive without getting in trouble with PlayStation. :messenger_beaming:

AV

You missed my entire point, which is the fact that I'm predicting some people will be judging NMS 2021 edition by 2016 standards and then comparing it to a 2021 edition of Subnautica. People tend to do that when NMS pops up in a discussion because they still feel burned by the 1.0 version.

That may be so, but NMS wasn't an early access game like Subnautica, it released as a product in a totally unfinished state for full price. People have every right to still feel burned by it, although I'd also say if they didn't see it coming, they should've paid more attention.

Aenima

I played No Man's Sky at launch and it was more of a space exploration sim than a survival game. I don't even remember base building, and I think I platinumed the game.
Base building and terrestial vehicles was only added later on a free update.

nkarafo

What i loved about Subnautica was the feeling of safety when you were in your base and how you felt dread when you had to leave it in order to explore. Especially as you went deeper. Sure, you could build multiple bases but i was very picky in the design of my bases and i wanted them to look as good and detailed as possible. So i only made two in the entire map. The main one in shallow waters so it doesn't get pressure damage and leaks.

tq9XnYw.jpg

qdEYw7L.jpg

YLKi3I4.jpg

UqkQqRS.jpg

ARTIvBu.jpg

You can tell the base building part of the game was my favorite.

Is NMS as good in that aspect? Is any game as good?

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
That may be so, but NMS wasn't an early access game like Subnautica, it released as a product in a totally unfinished state for full price. People have every right to still feel burned by it, although I'd also say if they didn't see it coming, they should've paid more attention.
While true, I could list a ton of other version 1.0 games that were broken, unfinished, and/or glitchy at launch and fans either moved on entirely or have long forgotten v1.0 and moved on to the newer, better edition of said game. For some reason NMS is the one game where they simply can't move on, even though the only place that v1.0 still exists is in the original 2016 disc release of the game. Not even Final Fantasy 14 fans do this.

I enjoyed No Man's Sky for what it is, but Subnautica is a way better game. It kinda feels like a survival horror game with base building to me. It's very immersive and I just love the sense of progression and achivement. It's amazing how you feel like you belong to that world after so much struggle surviving and uncovering it's mysteries.

down 2 orth

I just booted up No Man's Sky today after years of not playing. The base that I spent dozens of hours building was just straight up erased somehow.

So fuck that game, I got no time for amateur developers.

Dr.D00p

On PC, I did enjoy seeing how big a base i could build before the frame rate collapsed in to single figures.

GHG

Different types of games.

Subnautica is a much tighter game that has more emphasis on crafting in it's gameplay loop in order to progress. You explore to craft, so that you can explore further to craft more, rinse and repeat.

NMS is more exploration focused and the goal is to explore further but you can do so without having to craft as a primary means. You also have the option can earn currency via various means in order to progress.

Both are great and are well worth playing, anyone who says otherwise at this stage is bullshitting you.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

If anyone is looking for something to watch over the Easter weekend, while waiting for a decent copy of Godzilla v Kong to release, just watch Prey The Movie and Subnautica The movie both on YouTube...(in other words no commentary playthroughs...:messenger_grinning_smiling: ) grab a bag of popcorn and you are all set!

nikolino840

Yes and no....i have tried subnautica after nms and...seems the poor version of nms..is imho,is not a problem of the game
Maybe you like more the submarines themes

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Funny because I was just saying this to myself today.
Yes and no....i have tried subnautica after nms and...seems the poor version of nms..is imho,is not a problem of the game
Maybe you like more the submarines themes
I also said this, lol.

All in all, I think both are good.

Top Bottom