• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Series S worth it?

Deerock71

Well you’re talking about a 30fps...

King Dazzar

OP, for me I'd be steered by how much resolution and frame rate matter. I had a X1X due to its full native 4k capability. And then got an XSX at launch due to it still being able to do native 4k (in theory at least) together with 60fps potential. The S has always been a weird one for me. As it gave up some of the X1X resolution capabilities, but then improved its frame rate potential with upgraded CPU. If I were gaming on a 1080p monitor, or if performance and resolution weren't too important, then maybe an S. Otherwise, for me I'd have to go XSX. Its far more likely to stand the test of time longer too imo.

MarkMe2525

Get some help for giving my legitimate opinion after owning something for 2 and a half years and probably playing it more than 99% of anyone else here?

:messenger_ok:
The Series S is actually my favourite next gen console. Silent, small, pretty, low power draw, great build quality. Games look stunning on my EX2510.

I wouldn’t buy one for a 4k TV. But my monitor allows me to play games like Requiem at 40fps, match made in heaven.

And that’s not the only one, there’s plenty of stunning games on the Series S, and plenty that run at 120fps.

I don’t care if I sound like a nut.

I’m glad the Series S uses less than half the power of the other two.

I hope Nintendo and Xbox continue to offer consoles with a small footprint, and I hope Sony join in too.
Lots have changed in a year. Not knocking your change of outlook, as that happens, but it is striking.
Deerock71 Deerock71

Last edited:

Rockman33

If you don’t mind playing at lower resolutions and sometimes lower frame rate than yes. Otherwise save the money and get a X. I’ve seen them on sale a lot for $450

vanillaFace

Neo Member
Hello glorious hive mind.

Just wanted to ask people with a Series S if it’s worth it? Please, save the console warfare; just genuine advice.

I have a PS5 but am tempted with Gamepass. Can’t really stretch to a Series X at the moment, but am keen to get an idea of Series S performance.

If the Series S is too lacklustre, I’ll wait a few months and pick up the X.
I game with an RX 6400. I think you'll be fine with a Series S.

DragonNCM

Series S is perfect second console or even first. Time split be twin my PS5 & Series S is 30% vs 70%.
That's because I only play exclusive PS games only & rest is gamepass.

Damigos

It's a literal gamepass machine. If you don't mind some blurry graphics and worse performance (which somewhat acceptable given the price), then yeah, it seems like a decent secondary machine.

The time for that has long passed. It's already supported and is 75% of the Xbox consoles out there.
I REALLY hope next gen wont have a current gen equivalent

Deerock71

Get some help for giving my legitimate opinion after owning something for 2 and a half years and probably playing it more than 99% of anyone else here?

:messenger_ok:
I'll grant you that, but some of us automatically switch the conversation off as soon as the fps "issue" pops up. Some around here couldn't give two shits less about fps, and I'd be one of the 1% that you haven't outplayed on the S.

Last edited:
my series s is the first microsoft console i've ever owned, & it's easily earned it's keep & more at this point. took me a year plus to exhaust the game pass catalog, & i just quit playing starfield, which ran just fine, & which i enjoyed (up to a point, anyway). gone back to using my ps5 for the most part, but being able to sub game pass for a month whenever something interesting pops up (like stalker 2?), play the game for cheap, & then drop the sub till the next game pops up is a nice option to have...

Last edited:

DragonNCM

I will be not surprised if MS next console is only Series S equivalent in power with cheapest price in the market. After all they are chasing GP subscriptions at lowest cost possible.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Honestly, I would say no. It's a gimped version of the Series X which is a beast of a machine and more than deserves the higher price point. You are better off spending more for a more powerful machine, that doesn't have to cut corners to run current-gen games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'll grant you that, but some of us automatically switch the conversation off as soon as the fps "issue" pops up. Some around here couldn't give two shits less about fps, and I'd be one of the 1% that you haven't outplayed on the S.
(y) No worries.

Just to explain though, I wasn’t complaining about 30fps, I play loads of 30fps games.

I was just saying that the 2 games I had issues with, Elden Ring and Hogwarts Legacy, probably looked worse than Starfield because they were prioritising higher framerates (40&60fps), so fidelity probably took a hit due to that.

Hoddi

Depends what you intend for it. I already had Gamepass on PC and only bought my S for an old plasma that I wasn't using and I've been really happy with it. But it's worth getting the X if you want to use it on a big 4k screen.

I've since also bought an X for my living room TV but I almost never use it. I've thought about switching them but the S frankly is good enough at 1080p that I don't see a reason to.

Last edited:
I have a PS5 but am tempted with Gamepass.
What is so tempting that you would spend hundreds of dollars, plus the cost of the subscription?

The Series X is $650 in Canada. With tax, that is $735. I assume you mean Gamepass Ultimate, since regular gamepass is only a handful of games, so that’s $19 a month. You are willing to spend almost $1000 just because you are “tempted“ by gamepass?

You admit that you can hardly afford an Xbox. Save your money, buy some good games for your existing consoles instead.

Kappa

Yep it's a great piece of hardware. Got me to buy a console for the first time in 20 years. Just because one dev couldn't optimize for console doesn't make it bad 😉

Power Pro

As someone who owns a PS5 and Xbox Series X, the only benefit I've gained by having both is I can buy and redeem codes for games way cheaper in other regions for Xbox if I'm willing to go digitally. It's insane how cheap I've gotten some stuff, like Alan Wake Remastered for $2, Dead Cells with all the latest DLC for about $4. So if something like that interests you, then an Xbox might be worth it.

Ogbert

What is so tempting that you would spend hundreds of dollars, plus the cost of the subscription?

The Series X is $650 in Canada. With tax, that is $735. I assume you mean Gamepass Ultimate, since regular gamepass is only a handful of games, so that’s $19 a month. You are willing to spend almost $1000 just because you are “tempted“ by gamepass?

You admit that you can hardly afford an Xbox. Save your money, buy some good games for your existing consoles instead.
Well, that’s why I was asking about the Series S; it’s much more financially attractive.

I’m keen on playing some different titles. Go through Halo, Gears and Forza. Give Starfield a go too. I’d also like to try out the backwards compatibility.

TwiztidElf

Cheapest entry point to play XB exclusives without either buying a XSX or upgrading your PC.
I have an S and have played through FH5, Halo Infinite, Starfield, and a handful of other smaller titles through Gamepass.
Worth it? Only to satisfy my curiosity.

We'll see what FM brings next week, but I could see me cutting GP before the end of the year.
I'd prefer to buy my own physical PS5 or Switch copy of Persona 5 Tactica to be honest.

Just wanted to ask people with a Series S if it’s worth it? Please, save the console warfare; just genuine advice.

I have a PS5 but am tempted with Gamepass. Can’t really stretch to a Series X at the moment, but am keen to get an idea of Series S performance.

Think about it like this … if you buy a series s right now and actually like the games in game pass you will want to upgrade to a Series X or PC at some point to get better performance.

So the best thing to do is continue to save up for a Series X. In the meantime, try to play some Xbox games through X cloud to see if you even enjoy some of the games in game pass before buying a Xbox.

Alebrije

No , Series S is not worth now, it was fine 2-3 years ago with all those cross gen games , but the more the geberation advances the more series S is obsolete.

Better wait for Black Friday to get a Series X. Or a refurbished one.

DaGwaphics

It's a perfectly good little console, honestly in most titles the image is very comparable to the XSX outside of resolution. There are a few instances where more aggressive cuts are made, but not many. Starfield and the rest of the first party games run flawlessly on it, which I take it are titles of interest for you since you mention GP. When you keep in mind that you aren't going to be playing games with a side-by-side comparison with the X or at 400% zoom, the games are going to play great on there.

Last edited:
Well, that’s why I was asking about the Series S; it’s much more financially attractive.

I’m keen on playing some different titles. Go through Halo, Gears and Forza. Give Starfield a go too. I’d also like to try out the backwards compatibility.
yep, you sound just like me. you'll have fun - go for it...

(but remember: once you've finished pigging out on game pass, drop it & only ever renew it on a 'title by title that appeals to you' basis...)

Last edited:
Not worth it. Please dont support old tech. See what happened with Baldur's gate
Burn the Nintendo Switch then? Stupid comment.
So any console lol.

Series S is great if you want a cheap console that gets all games, specially if you play on a 1080p or 1440p screen, like a PC monitor as many people currently do. I've noticed there are lots of people which gaming setup is a PC desk + PC chair + PC Monitor + Consoles instead of PC lol, that may be the reason why Series S is selling well in 3rd world countries.
Yup. I have a 1440P monitor on my desk. I use the S as a Call of Duty machine. Hook up keyboard and mouse and good to go!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not worth it. Please dont support old tech. See what happened with Baldur's gate
Then no console should be supported lol. Series S is as modern as PS5 and XSX.

But such a simple fact is probably way too complex for some people's feels 🤔

Sintoid

I have it but recently it became a cute white brick on my shelf
No reason to play random indies on gamepass and no more emulation
I'm tempted to sell it but I know no one will be buying it so i'm waiting for someday a new hack to run homebrew

Last edited:

Zuzu

I have both and I think it's better to wait and save up for the Series X. The Series X often has much better graphical fidelity & performance for current gen games and backwards compatible games. It also comes with double the storage and a disc drive.

Bojji

Series S? Nope, I think it's shit and overpriced. Only worth it if bought used for 1080p tv/monitor.

Series X on the other hand is quite great, you should wait few months and you won't have to ask yourself this question: "how shit series S version will be this time?" in the future.

it's a top notch emulation machine.

Emulation was fucked by MS. Only in dev mode now?

Last edited:

anothertech

Get the X. Save yourself the trip ;)

damidu

no. get the real deal.
the extras you get for the price difference between S and X are unprecedented in any other consumer electronics.
3x gpu, 1.5x ram, bluray drive etc.

just think, if there was a 3x performance delta between 2 gpus in pc land for$200 difference, youd be called crazy to buy lower one.

El Muerto

It's only good as a gamepass machine. So if you main a PS5 and want to check out the exclusives i say get it. I play Starfield on my Series S if someone is using the living room tv where my Series X is. Game looks and plays fine on a cheap 4k tv, some minor graphical issues with draw distance but overall good experience. Just get the 1tb version, the 512 isnt worth it.

Damigos

Burn the Nintendo Switch then? Stupid comment.

Yup. I have a 1440P monitor on my desk. I use the S as a Call of Duty machine. Hook up keyboard and mouse and good to go!
Thats a stupid one. Nintendo is its own thing that works perfect for their own exclusives and indies. Lets not talk about MK1on Switch..
Series S has a sibling, the Series X. And you must have the games run on the lowest common denominator, the S. If you cant see how this is bad business then maybe the console sale charts will make you better understand it.

cybertailor

Neo Member
totally, you can pick it up for next to nothing 2nd hand. Game Pass is great as well, I especially like their indie selection, that's where it shines for me. It's also a great media player. I am still stuck on 1080p, graphics hasn't been an issue for me. great addition to my PS5 all in all

Chittagong

Gold Member

Depends on your TV and lifestyle. I had one during covid when I was staying in random countries in Airbnbs with potato TVs. Was fine for that. For a big screen and surround setup, Series X.

StereoVsn

IMO, save up a bit more and get XSX.

You get much better performance for current games, better performance for BC, more storage, ability to resell games and use Xbox/360 disks for BC, and can play 4K Blu-Ray media.

It’s worth the extra $200-$250.

Top Bottom