• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the US the easiest place to immigrant (legal/illegally)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 713885
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
With all the immigration talk I'm trying to see where the states rank compared to other first world countries.

From every angle. Prior convictions, illegal border crossing, with kids, etc.. every angle.

How do we compare to everyone with ease of immigration, be it legal or illegal.

Christopher

Ask the left they give 0 fucks about illegal immigrantion. One of my friends who is from the Dominican Republic went through hoops and whistles to become legal, when he was sworn in he was so proud and had tears.

It honestly made me so proud that people want to come here LEGALLY and work their butts off to do it.

norm9

No, it is one of the most difficult countries to immigrate to. It is a matter of luck, skill, connections, etc. Too many great potential people not enough spots. Denying a country or religion the ability to immigrate here would only have us miss out on the neXT great scientist, athlete, astronaut, etc. There's an American ideal, to deny anyone else a piece of that dream to claim it as only our own is foolish.

Barsinister

Banned
I’ve read this 12 times and I still don’t understand what you’re trying to say.

I did not include N norm9 in my reply to him. If you allow whole country to immigrate, it would take up too much room. Maybe a small country could fit somewhere, but why chance it? The separation of religion and state is in the Constitution, I would not allow it to immigrate if I were USA.

I would imagine Afghanistan would be easy to enter illegally, move into a village and become a farmer without the local version of ICE deporting you. Staying alive does seem like a problem though, probably just easier to try America/Western Europe and scream racism when you are caught though

manfestival

Getting a Visa to the United states is a royal pain in the balls for most countries. I would say that coming to the United states legally is tough. Illegally is different just like everything else in life. Easier for people to do things illegally.

Gander

Banned
I don't think it's any easier but everyone comes here because it's most opportunity. So we have to deal with it from all angles.

In which case I say let people earn their way to citizenship in the useful jobs that are hard to fill: military, peace corps and FEMA. Serve seven years take the test and you are a U.S. citizen.

No, it is one of the most difficult countries to immigrate to.

If it's difficult, it's because the competition to immigrate here is higher than anywhere else. The US already allows more legal immigrants each year than any other country by far. Over 1 million. In fact, I read we accept more legal immigrants than every other country allows each year put together. I'd bet it's even harder to immigrate to Japan or Switzerland.

In which case I say let people earn their way to citizenship in the useful jobs that are hard to fill: military, peace corps and FEMA. Serve seven years take the test and you are a U.S. citizen.

In the military, someone will not be very useful unless they're fluent in English. And without citizenship, they won't qualify for a security clearance, so that rules out a lot of jobs. It's not even that easy for US citizens. I remember reading only around 25% of military age Americans are physically/mentally/psychologically up to the task. And the last time I checked, the peace corps requires a college degree. But it's a nice thought.

Papa

Banned
I did not include N norm9 in my reply to him. If you allow whole country to immigrate, it would take up too much room. Maybe a small country could fit somewhere, but why chance it? The separation of religion and state is in the Constitution, I would not allow it to immigrate if I were USA.

I think he was referring to the travel ban with the country comment.

Barsinister

Banned
I think he was referring to the travel ban with the country comment.

By golly, you might be right. Trump would be in his rights still, I think. Plus, how would you move a whole country? Dig it up or just take the buildings?

My sarcasms are subtle.

Gander

Banned
In the military, someone will not be very useful unless they're fluent in English. And without citizenship, they won't qualify for a security clearance, so that rules out a lot of jobs. It's not even that easy for US citizens. I remember reading only around 25% of military age Americans are physically/mentally/psychologically up to the task. And the last time I checked, the peace corps requires a college degree. But it's a nice thought.

That's why there is more than one option: military, peace corps, habitat for humanity and emergency services always need people. If you can't fit into one you can try another.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Speaking as someone who immigrated here legally, it's hard, really hard, if you don't already have relatives who can sponsor you.

There's really only 2 other ways to legally immigrate here. One is through marriage, the other through work. And competition for the limited amount of work (H-1B) visas is fierce. Usually only the most skilled people (like engineers and doctors) get these visas.

Considering how hard it is, I'm surprised the US still manages to accept so many new immigrants each year. I'm guessing most of them come through family connections.

Top Bottom