• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Villa Gorilla making another game? Loved Yoku’s Island Express.

HYDE

Banned
Yoku’s Island Express had an amazing metroidvania world and introduced a neat mechanic of pinball to the genre. Some pinball parts and backtracking were annoying but I beat the entire game as the gameplay was engaging and fun.

I love exploration and discovering secret treasures, which the game has in spades. So I am interested in what the developer is working on next.

Please share the love for this fantastic game.

Last edited:

Kadve

Its certainly amazing but unfortunately no. The game was made by two guys over a 5 year period mostly for fun and they split afterwards. Snygg founding a new company called Witch Elm Games last year (haven't released anything yet) and Andersson ended up working for Machine Games.

HYDE

Banned
Its certainly amazing but unfortunately no. The game was made by two guys over a 5 year period mostly for fun and they split afterwards. Snygg founding a new company called Witch Elm Games last year (haven't released anything yet) and Andersson ended up working for Machine Games.
Thanks for the information…was not able to find or figure out anything. Any other fantastic Metroidvania recommendations folks!?

Holammer

Thanks for the information…was not able to find or figure out anything. Any other fantastic Metroidvania recommendations folks!?

Cave Story+ maybe? One of the early granddaddy indie takes on the genre.

Then there is Wuppo, it's a bit strange, but there's some positive energy & fun innit like in Yoku (also dirt cheap right now).

Touhou Luna Nights got some clever mechanics, if you are in any way familiar with the setting, it's a must have. Team Ladybug also made a Metroidvania based on Record of Lodoss War which is top tier as well.

SpiceRacz

The mother fucker of all Metroidvanias:

capsule_616x353.jpg

HYDE

Banned
Metroidvanias I love:

Metroid
1. Zero Mission
2. Samus Returns
3. Super
4. Fusion
5. Dread

Castlevania
1. Aria Sorrow
2. Dawn Sorrow
3. Order Ecclesia
4. Circle Moon
5. Portrait Ruin
6. Harmony Dissonance
7. Symphony Night

Hollow Knight (Silk Song on radar!)
Ori 1 & 2
Bloodstained Ritual Night (News about sequel?)
Steamworld Dig 1 & 2
Guacamelee 1 & 2
Yokus Island Express
Outland
Shadow Complex

Games I might love…
Potential interest:

Apotheon
Axiom Verge 1 & 2
Blasphemous
Carrion
Crowsworn (Still happening?)
Dead Cells
Deaths Gambit
Ender Lillies
Fist
Gato Roboto
Haiku Robot
Have A Nice Death
Iconoclasts
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Last Faith (Amazing ideas!)
Messenger
Owl Boy
Record Lodoss War
Sundered
Time Spinner

Please sound off on the ones you loved your playtime with. Would love a ton of insight with these indie games.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Metroidvanias I love:

Metroid
1. Zero Mission
2. Samus Returns
3. Super
4. Fusion
5. Dread

Castlevania
1. Aria Sorrow
2. Dawn Sorrow
3. Order Ecclesia
4. Circle Moon
5. Portrait Ruin
6. Harmony Dissonance
7. Symphony Night

Hollow Knight (Silk Song on radar!)
Ori 1 & 2
Bloodstained Ritual Night (News about sequel?)
Steamworld Dig 1 & 2
Guacamelee 1 & 2
Yokus Island Express
Outland
Shadow Complex

Games I might love…
Potential interest:

Apotheon
Axiom Verge 1 & 2
Blasphemous
Carrion
Crowsworn (Still happening?)
Dead Cells
Deaths Gambit
Ender Lillies
Fist
Gato Roboto
Haiku Robot
Have A Nice Death
Iconoclasts
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Last Faith (Amazing ideas!)
Messenger
Owl Boy
Record Lodoss War
Sundered
Time Spinner

Please sound off on the ones you loved your playtime with. Would love a ton of insight with these indie games.
Blasphemous is the most interesting, engaging, haunting, sad, beautiful, rewarding, and just straight up fun game I've played in the past five years, for whatever that's worth.

HYDE

Banned
Blasphemous is the most interesting, engaging, haunting, sad, beautiful, rewarding, and just straight up fun game I've played in the past five years, for whatever that's worth.
Thanks for the recommendation, have experience with any of the other games?

poodaddy

Thanks for the recommendation, have experience with any of the other games?
The Messenger has what is probably my favorite soundtrack to a video game of all time, and it is genuinely fun too, but I will say it's not as good as a metroidvania as it is a traditional sidescroller. I loved the game, but the abrupt switch to metroidvania in the second half of the game hurt it more than helped it in my opinion. Still an incredible game though, highly recommended,.....and prepare to jam for that one.

Dead Cells is one of the only rogue lites that really grabbed me a bit, the other two being Rogue Legacy and Streets of Rogue. Great game, but I also feel it's a bit overrated.

Haven't tried any of the others that you haven't tried, though our favorites are really similar for sure. I will say I've been meaning to play Death's Gambit for quite a while now, just haven't gotten around to it.

Edit:. Took another look at the list and I missed some that I played. I bounced off Gato Roboto, it wasn't bad just didn't hold my interest. I bounced off Axiom Verge, legitimately hated everything about it. Owlboy, man I tried so hard to like it. Brilliant sprite work, it's such a joy to look at, but I just didn't enjoy the gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom