• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Wii Sports going to be the highest selling game this gen?

Glass Joe

out of curiousity, is does hexic come on a disc or is it merely included in the operating system? either way, i don't think anyone would make an argument that pictochat is the best selling ds game, after all. comparing it to a free virtual console download (if one existed) would in my opinion, be a valid comparison.

isn't wii sports actually more like a $30 game in japan as opposed to full price? regardless, i do have a strong feeling that this game will eventually be non-bundled and sold seperate in the U.S. (i might be lame enough to buy it too, just to have a proper cover).

if super mario bros. 1 counts, then i see no difference with wii sports. however, duck hunt is pretty rediculous to include. honestly, it's not important, as to me super mario 3's sales are much more impressive than super mario 1, considering the context.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
pswii60 said:
lol

Halo - 6.44m sold
Halo 2 - 7.91m sold

I'd say that's very successful.

Must have been confused somewhere. I think I had forgotten we were speaking of sales during one generation alone. However, I wouldn't say Halo 3 has a chance to be the most successful game this gen. As great as the numbers for Halo 1 and 2 are, I don't know if Halo will ever top them, even a little. If the 360 becomes more successful than the Xbox 1, then maybe, but for now, it bombs in Japan and is not that successful in Europe (and people buy a 360 to play PES6 here anyway). On the other hand, Wii Sports is very successful in Japan and would be in Europe and would be if it weren't a pack-in, I think.

[EDIT] And, let us not forget that Wii Sports is already out, whereas Halo 3 will come out... Er... I don't know, is that at the end of the year ?

ActionMan

Any game that's bundled with a system on launch is bound to be out there in large numbers. If You want a Wii, You have to have the Wii Sports as well. In case of Wii Sports it's actually a good thing, since it happens to be a fun game.

I consider it to be a budget title, though. Especially, when comparing to Gears of War or Final Fantasy XII or Oblivion, or any other game for a console that has a decent amount of games already out.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
they will remove wiisports in 08 - when wii sports 2 will launch....

Well, there are obviously two different definitions of sales that people are working with here. Separate sales, which a lot of people want to go with, and sales including pack-ins, which is what the companies actually use. Will Wii Sports be a top seller by the first definition? No, but then, by that definition neither was Super Mario Bros or Super Mario World. By the second definition? It seems entirely possible, as being packed in gives it an absurd advantage.

Perhaps Hexic could be more accurately classified as an XBLA game, but it's still a pack-in, whether or not it's pre-installed on the HD or on a separate disc. And all the Nintendo fans slinging the "mini-game" mud at Hexic ought to be ashamed. I'd think after all the crap Wii Sports unfairly takes over that issue, you'd be a bit more hesitant to throw that barb at another game. Hexic and Wii Sports are both games, and we'll never really know how well they would sell on their own as a full-priced game WW, because that boundary will likely never be pushed.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
Actually I think you can thank Sony/MS for launching at such a higher price point which allowed Nintendo to come in at $250 bucks. Wii Sports just facilitated the notion of you getting a great 'deal' at an extra$50 bucks. I think had they not included it they still would have sold Wii at $225-250....and why not.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, there are obviously two different definitions of sales that people are working with here. Separate sales, which a lot of people want to go with, and sales including pack-ins, which is what the companies actually use. Will Wii Sports be a top seller by the first definition? No, but then, by that definition neither was Super Mario Bros or Super Mario World. By the second definition? It seems entirely possible, as being packed in gives it an absurd advantage.

Perhaps Hexic could be more accurately classified as an XBLA game, but it's still a pack-in, whether or not it's pre-installed on the HD or on a separate disc. And all the Nintendo fans slinging the "mini-game" mud at Hexic ought to be ashamed. I'd think after all the crap Wii Sports unfairly takes over that issue, you'd be a bit more hesitant to throw that barb at another game. Hexic and Wii Sports are both games, and we'll never really know how well they would sell on their own as a full-priced game WW, because that boundary will likely never be pushed.

Best post in the thread!

Unison

I think the distinction of whether or not it comes on a separate disc is a good one, and the distinction that it's available for full retail price in some territories is important too. After all, no one claims that the Slug Maze game built into the Sega Master System is that platform's best-selling game.

Newzboyz99

The most important thing is this: Nintendo needs to create an entire library of sports games (tennis, Golf, boxing, bowling, etc) of fully fledged games with multiple levels and increased wii control. Make it happen.

KINGMOKU

ChrisAllenFiz said:
If you honestly believe that Wii sports would sell for £40 RRP in the UK were it not packed in, you sir are insane. In my book, that makes it a budget title.
WHAT??? Its the most talked about game for the Wii, you know the system that s sold out worldwide?

Wiisports would sell at that price, easily your deluded to think otherwise.

I have Japanese sales to prove my point, you have your opinion.

moku said:
WHAT??? Its the most talked about game for the Wii, you know the system that s sold out worldwide?

Wiisports would sell at that price, easily your deluded to think otherwise.

I have Japanese sales to prove my point, you have your opinion.

Japanese sales do not prove anything about UK sales. I can name countless games that would prove that.

Wii sports is a great budget game that shows exactly what the Wii can do. At £40, a lot of people would choose another game. It would sell at £40, but nowhere near the levels it has in japan, and nowhere near a 1:1 ratio. Even in japan it is nowhere near 1:1

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The white faceplate for the 360 is the best-selling next-gen accessory of all-time...

...i.e. this is a silly thread...

Newzboyz99

Have to agree there and I think it's partially why Wii Sports was packed-in the USA Wii. Nintendo could charge an extra $50 dollars and people would feel that the value was just because they get a free game; however, if Nintendo tried to sell Wii Sports on its own, I seriously think it may have been a disaster compared to Japan's sales....American's still care far more about graphics and with no kiosks featuring it, i think it would have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Skilotonn said:
The white faceplate for the 360 is the best-selling next-gen accessory of all-time...

...i.e. this is a silly thread...

Well, I think there's *something* worth discussing here, because obviously we have no problem historically stating Super Mario Bros is one of the best-selling games of all time, and without pack-in sales, it's sales are pitiful. Are we going to hold the current generation to a different standard? Or do we have to stop saying Super Mario Bros. is a top-selling game? I'd hate to have to try and sort out sales if we had to go back and remove pack-in sales for every packed-in game. It would dramatically lower the sales of a lot of games. And yet, if we are to not consider Wii Sports pack-ins as sales, what else are we to do?

Seth C

Hexic is as much a full game as Tetris is. In fact, it has more gameplay modes than Tetris, more levels than Tetris, and more additional features than Tetris.

So...well, keep arguing I suppose. Neither of them count as far as I'm concerned. I would never have bought Wii Sports for more than $10. Same for Hexic. When Nintendo stops bundling Wii Sports in the US and UK, if they then release the game to retail, we can have this discussion. That happened with Super Mario Bros.

jarrod

Banned
Pellham said:
And Wii Sports won't be the highest selling game this gen. Copies of games bundled with systems don't count as sales. They didn't count for SMB/Duck Hunt and they won't count now.
Generally they are "counted" when the bundled game drives a higher premium pricepoint. For example, last gen people generally counted the GT3 PS2 and Mario Sunshine GC bundles as additional sold copies for the games, as the bundles each demanded a $30 premium over standard pricing... meanwhile the JSRF/Sega GT Xbox bundle generally wasn't added to those games' totals as they were free pack-ins. When we look at historical units sales, both Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt include console pack-ins too actually, as their bundles drove a higher pricepoint from stand alone units.

I think a case could be made either way for Wii Sports really. On one hand, t's the only SKU so it's a "standard" price and could imply Wii Sports is a free pack-in. Then again, if it wasn't packed in the price would most likely be around $30-$50 lower (like Japan)... and I suspect we'll see the Wii's 1st $50 price drop coincide with removing Wii Sports from the package actually.

Ponn

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I think there's *something* worth discussing here, because obviously we have no problem historically stating Super Mario Bros is one of the best-selling games of all time, and without pack-in sales, it's sales are pitiful. Are we going to hold the current generation to a different standard? Or do we have to stop saying Super Mario Bros. is a top-selling game? I'd hate to have to try and sort out sales if we had to go back and remove pack-in sales for every packed-in game. It would dramatically lower the sales of a lot of games. And yet, if we are to not consider Wii Sports pack-ins as sales, what else are we to do?

If people want to count packs ins as sales then hey whatever. I just wouldn't be making threads trying to pat a company on the shoulder or praise said sales numbers as if they have alot of substance to them or meaning that the game is something wholly spectacular for the "next gen".

Ponn01 said:
If people want to count packs ins as sales then hey whatever. I just wouldn't be making threads trying to pat a company on the shoulder or praise said sales numbers as if they have alot of substance to them or meaning that the game is something wholly spectacular for the "next gen".

For sure, unless you can prove the pack-in is what is driving sales and not vice-versa. Which is notoriously slippery to attempt, though I imagine some will try.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
It directly compares to wii sports, both are pack in games that would sell nowhere near as well if they were sold stand alone. It is also a full game, which was sold as such on the PC.

But Wii Sports is a system seller for millions around the world. It´s analoguous to the NES SMB in that sense, not Hexic.

Bungalow Bob said:
But Wii Sports is a system seller for millions around the world. It´s analoguous to the NES SMB in that sense, not Hexic.

But even if you take japanese numbers, its only a system seller for at most 70% of people, and that number will drop as other games come out that surpass it (eg Wii sports 2). It is impossible to say how many copies are selling systems, which make the argument rather moot.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I've owned the 360 since right after launch, and didn't even know it came with Hexic. I'm on the marketplace, playing demos, and XBLA all the time, and I don't recall ever seeing it.

When you see an ad for the Wii, it always says "with Wii Sports." the same can not be said for Hexic. Had W/S been released separately it would have been one of the top (1 or 2) sellers on the Wii, same can't be said for Hexic. The two are not comparable, it's dumb to try.

Also anyone who thinks that Nintendo would have charged $199 if Wii Sports wasn't bundled knows nothing about the way a business operates.
Nintendo was not going to charge $199 for the Wii. They were probably looking at a # close to $250 and decided that throwing in a game would have countless benefits. Sure, they could have charged $230-$240 without Wii Sports, but that would be stupid from a business standpoint.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Japanese sales do not prove anything about UK sales. I can name countless games that would prove that.

Wii sports is a great budget game that shows exactly what the Wii can do. At £40, a lot of people would choose another game. It would sell at £40, but nowhere near the levels it has in japan, and nowhere near a 1:1 ratio. Even in japan it is nowhere near 1:1

I lost my copy of Wii Sports and have been trying to get another. I've tried Craigslist and Ebay where people are asking $50-$60. That's more than retail price for a Wii game.

From many, many standpoints, they aren't comparable. But sales only cares for numbers and facts. So either you count them both, or you count neither, unless you can make a logical case from a sales standpoint of doing otherwise. The only thing I can see to tug at logically is the "separate disc" thing, but I fear that may be a dangerous precedent to set with a future of digital delivery seeming likely.

edit: In thinking about it a little bit, this isn't far off from when arenas or event promoters count comped seats as sold. Sort of an interesting parallel there.

I don't think Nintendo would have charged a full 250 without Wii Sports. That said, I don't think they would have kept the price lower had they excluded it.

The Japanese market shows us that Wii sports not bundled in yields a lower priced-Wii system, which would mean that Wii Sports being added in adds to the value of the American sku. Since it's a VAB (Value added bundle) Nintendo counts each sale for Wii Sports.

Anybody arguing that Wii Sports shouldn't be counted is fooling themselves, seriously.

koam

virtuafightermaster said:
Didn't this game get very bad reviews?

77% is pretty decent. Also, what does bad reviews have to do with anything? If a game is bad, that means its sales don't count?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Game media simply sucks. They don't understand at all what gaming is about. They should quit and start reviewing movies, which they would do better.

And yes, Wii Sports it's going to be the most sold game this gen, by the fact that it's bundled with the system :lol and because it's the game that showcases the whole Wii idea. It's a game done for selling the concept, whatever the quality of the game is. It's what I call "Gamarketting"

Ponn

Banned
tanasten said:
Game media simply sucks. They don't understand at all what gaming is about. They should quit and start reviewing movies, which they would do better.

And yes, Wii Sports it's going to be the most sold game this gen, by the fact that it's bundled with the system :lol and because it's the game that showcases the whole Wii idea. It's a game done for selling the concept, whatever the quality of the game is. It's what I call "Gamarketting"

Impossible.jpg

Demmmmmmo...

Top Bottom