• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israeli soldier gets 18 months for killing wounded Palestinian attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
Israeli soldier gets 18 months for killing wounded Palestinian attacker

An Israeli soldier who killed a wounded Palestinian attacker in a high-profile case that split opinion across the country has been jailed for 18 months.

Sgt Elor Azaria was found guilty of manslaughter for shooting dead 21-year-old Abdul Fatah al-Sharif in Hebron, in the occupied West Bank, last March. Azaria had told a colleague that Sharif, who had stabbed another soldier, "deserved to die". Military chiefs condemned his actions, but others praised them. The case fuelled debate in Israel over when and how soldiers are entitled to use lethal force against attackers.

The shooting occurred amid a wave of attacks by Palestinians that had killed 29 Israelis over the preceding five months.

Lock if old.

eizarus

Banned
I wonder what a Palestinian would get if he/she killed a wounded 21 year old Israeli soldier.

Life in jail and another settlement built (and retroactively legalised) to teach them a lesson.

The offence carries a sentence of up to 20 years, though prosecutors had called for Azaria to be jailed for between three and five years.
He got half the minimum called for by prosecutors..........

CCS

Banned
I wonder what a Palestinian would get if he/she killed a wounded 21 year old Israeli soldier.

I fundamentally disagree with the sentence and think it's disgustingly short, but this is a dodgy comparison unless the soldier in question had just been trying to kill random Palestinians.

The sick son of a bitch smiled like a smug bastard in the courtroom when it was read out.

20 years is the maximum penalty and he got 18 months.....

Killing an unarmed soldier (although I can understand how overwhelming the emotions on a battlefield must be) is never acceptable.

Makes me sick. Netanyahu was pushing for a pardon too.

All this will do is create more violence.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Piece of shit should've received the max. Israel's military courts are a joke.

Killing a wounded and incapacitated attacker is a serious war crime. Not surprised he got off so lightly though but at least he got sentenced (what he got is still an utter disgrace though, particularly because it's a reduced MINIMUM sentence). Probably going to be out after half the time served if he is eligible to parole and I doubt it will affect his CV or chances on the job market later either.

Israel is acting like the Apartheid and claiming to be the legitimate reprentative of all Jews, but all it stands for right now is genocide. For someone who so rapidly claims the word Nazi, Netanyahu sure seems to like their methods.
It's a shame that I have to boycott the country, it has the potential of being a beacon of democracy and instead this is what happens. Hopefully Netanyahu is impeached and somebody with common sense is elected instead. If only Sharon hadn't had that brain hemorrage...

Leopold

It is not a war crime as terrorists are not under Geneva Conventions - they should fulfill a set of requisites to be considered as "soldiers" - but the sentence is too short anyway. He needed at least double time in order to send a message.

aeolist

Banned
I fundamentally disagree with the sentence and think it's disgustingly short, but this is a dodgy comparison unless the soldier in question had just been trying to kill random Palestinians.

why? the israeli army is in the midst of an oppressive military occupation and gradual ethnic cleansing/genocide of the palestinian people, i don't see why soldiers shouldn't expect to be attacked.

SilentRob

I saw the video and it's beyond sickening. There is a guy lying on the floor, motionless with an ambulance and a quite a few soldiers around him. He isn't moving at all. This israeli soldier is standing in the background, talking with another one, then just cocks his weapon, walks up to the man, shoots him in the head and goes back. Nobody even bats an eye.

_89022826_2dc1dba0-3850-4dd4-aaca-55fdf6d31243.jpg

That's how he looked even before he was executed. You can see the soldier walk up to him in the background. And the guy seriously says that he was worried he was wearing "an explosive vest"? That this guy was an actual danger? Please.

It's fucking crazy. 18 months for that.

Breads

Banned
Fuck international protocols regarding captured enemy combatants and the wounded.

Just execute whoever you want as long as you REALLY feel like it.

Xun

I can't believe how many anti-semites there are in this thread.

18 months is a fucking disgrace and it makes my blood boil how light he got off.

CCS

Banned
Elaborate.

It's fairly straightforward. The comparison was being made between this case and a Palestinian killing an Israeli soldier at random. I was merely pointing out that's not a good comparison.

I'm not pro-Israel, I just don't think sloppy comparisons are necessary or helpful when there's so many entirely valid reasons to criticise Israel.

18 months for murder

fucking disgrace

I'm sure the judge grappled long and hard with that one.

"This sure seems like cold-blooder murder, what am I going to do here? Let's see, murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with...THAT'S IT!

Palestinians aren't human beings so it can't be murder, I'll give him a slap on the wrist and send him on his way. Phew, for a minute there I thought I had to worry about justice"

ZiZ

I'm honestly surprised he was given that slap on the wrist. If that video hadn't gone viral they probably would've given him a medal.

SKINNER!

Banned
It's fairly straightforward. The comparison was being made between this case and a Palestinian killing an Israeli soldier at random. I was merely pointing out that's not a good comparison.

I'm not pro-Israel, I just don't think sloppy comparisons are necessary or helpful when there's so many entirely valid reasons to criticise Israel.

My comparison was meant to highlight and question the justice system (Valid reason to critise if you ask me) not highlight the significance of either people's nationality. Fairly straight forward. Furthermore, I'm still unsure as where you picked up "random" from in my initial comparison. Additionally, did you assume that my use of the term "Palestinian" automatically meant "Terrorist"?

Let me fix my comparison then:

"I wonder what an arrested PA soldier would get if he/she captured/wounded and then proceeded to kill a wounded 21 year old Israeli soldier."

There you go.

Would he/she still get 18 months in prison?

Septic360

Banned
I saw the video and it's beyond sickening. There is a guy lying on the floor, motionless with an ambulance and a quite a few soldiers around him. He isn't moving at all. This israeli soldier is standing in the background, talking with another one, then just cocks his weapon, walks up to the man, shoots him in the head and goes back. Nobody even bats an eye.

That's how he looked even before he was executed. And the guy seriously says that he was worried he was wearing "an explosive vest"? That this guy was an actual danger? Please.

Disgusting.

CCS

Banned
My comparison was meant to highlight and question the justice system (Valid reason to critise if you ask me) not highlight the significance of either people's nationality. Fairly straight forward. Furthermore, I'm still unsure as where you picked up "random" from in my initial comparison. Additionally, did you assume that my use of the term "Palestinian" automatically meant "Terrorist"?

Let me fix my comparison then:

"I wonder what an arrested PA soldier would get if he/she captured/wounded and then proceeded to kill a wounded 21 year old Israeli soldier."

There you go.

Would he/she still get 18 months in prison?

You're missing my point. My point is that the comparison is only valid if in this scenario the Israeli soldier had launched an unprovoked attack.

That's how he looked even before he was executed. And the guy seriously says that he was worried he was wearing "an explosive vest"? That this guy was an actual danger? Please.

Thanks for adding this, just reading the OP I thought it wasn't so bad but this is fucked up to the extreme.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is why we will never have peace in Israel. You have one side doing stupid shit like attacking soldiers and civilians then you have the other side doing their best to be like evil Nazis.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It means the situation between Israel and Palestine is more complex than something as reductive as one side being Nazis and the other doing "stupid shit" like "terrorism".
'Both sides right?' was not being used as a call for more analysis on the issue, it was a call for less. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom