• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It is no longer Obamacare. It's Trumpcare.

Shauni

Did you say the same thing when Obama signed executive orders attempting to legalize the Dreamers and later attempting to do the same thing more broadly with DAPA (struck down in federal court, repealed by trump)?

This type of nonsense from the Presidency is nothing new unfortunately and I wouldn’t call Obama a tyrant.

The ACA actually has many sections delegating the details to the secretary of HHS so this might even be legal, although Trump’s poor, incompetent administration will likely do a terrible job of implementing any changes,

Both sides are the same

Hitmeneer

Like someone in this thread already said, this is going to offer more low-cost / low cover options to healthy young people. Which is great for them.

However, the whole idea behind insurance is that healthy people help pay for the sick. This is going to screw over low income, older people and people that are chronically sick. Premiums will rise for the high-risk pool.

Yudoken

Drumpffuck it is then.
We'll, as long as he id not in jail he will hurt America and the world as much as possible.

Green Yoshi

There are protests all the time. How many have you been to?
Perhaps he expected protests like in France.

I think there is a lot of resignation in the USA considering health care.

Perhaps Trump should work with the Democrats on a new bill if he is that unsatisfied with the GOP. He shouldn't expect too much loyality from the Republicans in the future.

Gutek

How is it that a guy who doesn't know shit about healthcare is allowed to play with the lives of others? Where are the mass protests?

Americans don’t give a shit.

Edit: Oh, I see the “there’s protests all the time” brigade has arrived. We need millions in front of the White House.

Sean C

Take his ass to court again. Can you just steamroll a Congressional bill like that?
Most modern legislation delegates enormous discretion to the executive branch to fine-tune and vary the details, because of how complex the modern administrative state is. Trump probably does have the power to render the ACA non-functional in practise, though I can’t comment on the legality of any specific action.

Here is a side by side for easier comparison. Has its pros and cons just like Obamacare did.

Trumpcare-BCRA-VS-Obamacare.jpg

jimmypython

Did you say the same thing when Obama signed executive orders attempting to legalize the Dreamers and later attempting to do the same thing more broadly with DAPA (struck down in federal court, repealed by trump)?

This is different. Obama had no law to enforce because the congress refused to make the law. So the congress didn't do its job in the first place.

Not to defend Obama, but I think Obama's rational was "if there is no law to enforce, I am going to do it through executive action". It makes sense as the "head of the executive branch". However, Obama's DACA action was certainly controversial as he himself thought so too.

Trump is resisting to enforce an existing law, which goes against what he's supposed to do.

It is the textbook definition of unfit to the office.

Kevinroc

Nicholas Bagley, a University of Michigan Law Professor, discussed this EO on twitter.

https://twitter.com/nicholas_bagley/status/918485117366079488

1/ Executive orders rarely have immediate legal effect. They're marching orders to agencies. This one is no different.

2/ As a legal matter, nothing changes the moment that Trump signs the E.O. We'll have to see what Labor and HHS do.

3/ That's why it's weird to ask whether the E.O. is legal. It doesn't have any independent force.

4/ What matters is whether what the agencies eventually do is legal. And there, we only have the sketchiest sense of what's coming.

5/ For my money, the biggest surprise in the EO is that it doesn't ask Labor to allow association health plans to market to individuals.

6/ Labor will just redraft rules to allow small employers to band together. That's problematic but it doesn't imperil the individual market.

7/ We can only speculate why the administration dropped the more aggressive proposal to allow AHPs to market to individuals.

8/ But I bet that they realized pretty fast that they'd have to break the law -- in particular, ERISA -- in order to do so.

9/ As ugly as the EO is, maybe there's a tiny silver lining. Maybe the rule of law still matters, even to the Trump administration.

10/ At any rate, the most significant portion of the EO relates not to AHPs, but to short-term plans.

11/ Here's the take-home message: "Make Garbage Insurance Great Again."

12/ The damage to the Obamacare exchanges could be severe. But the damage will also be quite variable.

13/ The states should still retain authority to regulate short-term plans -- and to require them to adhere to ACA rules.

14/ If so, the administration's actions will matter most in red states and less in blue states. It's federalism through the back door.

15/ Last point: I don't see why this EO has received all this attention. It's a promise to make changes; it doesn't itself change anything.

16/ It's like the first EO that Trump signed on health reform: long on promises, short on action.

17/ It's a chance for Trump to look like he's doing "something." But he's not, or at least not yet.

18/ I want to see what the agencies actually DO, not some vague instructions about what they SHOULD do.

19/ Until then, it's just grandstanding. /fin

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm so tired of the 'imagine if Obama' did this or said that. But this one hits hard.

Obama has been raked over the coals for years for "Like your doctor, keep your doctor."

Yet Trump's ignorant ass can stand up there and blatantly lie about so many aspects of this turd of an EO he's signing and everyone just moves along to his next lie.

If the president is gonna lie his ass off, I want it broadcasted.

Sure, I'm not saying to not broadcast it but call his ass out and hold him accountable. I don't understand why he's never held accountable for blatant lies. All of the time. About everything.

Tahnit

Banned
They're definitely trying to create confusion. Why else would they sign some crap bill just before the open enrollment period?

You should still be able to sign up for Open Enrollment for 2018.

Great one more year of insurance and then I’m fucked.

Dude Abides

Banned
Short term AND limited duration? Wow!

Also what's with the unnecessary capitalization of "state" and "executive order"? Even the proofreaders are incompetent.

Top Bottom