• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been (almost) a year since FEZ 2 was announced. Let's tell a story of Phil Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slixshot

Banned
Edit EDIT:

Context Matters: http://kotaku.com/twitter-blowup-lea...z-ii-934548588

EDIT: For those wondering, this is a joke. I understand Phil went about it the entirely wrong way and he is not innocent in what happened. Just seemed more fun to tell it in a story-esque manor and every story needs a hero and a villain. So relax. It's just for fun. Nothing personal (and it really shouldn't be because nobody here is Phil nor Marcus Beer... so the whole debacle is something that has literally no impact on you other than now there is no FEZ II). Just enjoy a little fan-fiction of something rather interested that happened in the game industry.

First, I would like to apologize to everyone who just had a mental breakdown. I know, FEZ II being canceled was probably one of the worst cancelations I've ever experienced. I Didn't mean to make everyone feel bad... and honestly, I didn't know that so many people on GAF enjoyed this game as much as me.

To apologize, while we wait for E3, let's take some time to reflect on the awesomeness that was this announcement. Then sit back and enjoy a little fiction I've decided to write up which tells the story of what happened to the developer that had to fight an entire army in an endless battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyyfysumf7Q&feature=kp

Out of nowhere, on June 13th of 2013 came one of the most exciting trailers of the entire show.The trailer featured the musical genius of Disasterpeace and was filled with mystery until the final logo displayed with an explosion of color and harmonizing tones. BOOM! FEZ II, sequel to a beloved puzzle game that tested the minds of thousands, had been announced.

Fans were delighted (myself included), the press was blown away and the internet nearly exploded. Where did this come from? Phil Fish throwing everyone for a loop, AGAIN. Wow.

But every ying has it's yang. With all the love and happy people of the internet, ready to play this sequel when(ever) it was released, there were... The Haters. These internet scum love to see everything fail; especially the people that have no impact on them, whatsoever. They hunt the weak-minded and easily manipulated. Those who are easily swayed by the opinions of others... And sadly, Phil was their prey.

Now, there's a little backstory as to why Phil had a target pinned to his forehead. You see, Phil had gotten a lot of hate throughout the development of OG FEZ. He took a long time to make his baby and people weren't cool with that. Not a huge deal, as he kind of brushed it off and was happy to have FEZ release when it did. But then, one day, Phil said something he would continue to get hate on to this very day and for the rest of his life. Phil expressed his opinion on Japanese games. Let me tell you, people did not like that opinion. Not. one. bit.

By the time FEZ II was announced, Phil had been featured in tons of articles in games media, but not for the reasons he might have wanted. Many articles were full of criticism of what Phil had said. What one single developer had said. Thus, it became the job of The Haters (full circle, now) to take this guy down.

The ol' battle of the Twitterverse commenced and Phil fought quite the fight. In fact, for months, Phil was able to stay atop his high-horse and back away from all the hate. But then, one day, the King of the Haters - The man who made his living complaining and bantering - took charge at Phil. The Annoyed Gamer fired his shots and they were right on target.

BOOM! BAM! Phil was digitally smacked across the face and his defense had been shattered. Out came a rebound of all the hate that had been stored up from the years of personal attacks and threats from strangers across the globe. Fighting fire with fire will only get you burned, and that's exactly what happened to Phil. He succumbed to the same hate that he had been receiving for so long.

Nothing was left standing after this fight. The Annoyed Gamer was no longer employed by the same company (possibly for other reasons), Phil Fish had left the development scene, and the dreams so many had for FEZ II had been shattered.

RIP FEZ II - You may be gone, but you are not forgotten.

FEZ_II.jpg

Again, I apologize for anyone who was genuinely upset about that bump. Might I recommend going and replaying FEZ. You may know how to beat it, but it's still a beautiful game that will put a smile on your face.

Oh! I definitely check out Hyper Light Drifter. It seems to have as much TLC going into it that FEZ did, features more Disasterpeace, and is a blast to play (played it at PAX East). Games like these don't come around often, but when they do, they're something special.

gngf123

While I'm not going to be telling tales, FEZ stands out as one of the best games I've played over the past few years and I think the cancellation of a sequel is a complete disaster.

At least Phil probably lives a happier life now, whatever it is he does.

nynt9

The Haters. These internet scum love to see everything fail; especially the people that have no impact on them, whatsoever. They hunt the weak-minded and easily manipulated. Those who are easily swayed by the opinions of others... And sadly, Phil was their prey.

Ok buddy. You can spin your tale to make it sound like Fish never did anything wrong, but by calling people who criticize him "scum" you're no better than those people.

mishakoz

You make it sounds like Phil is the victim. He canceled Fez 2, perpetuated abuse on twitter, told a guy on twitter to "suck a dick choke on it" and "go kill yourself", etc.

The industry has enough identity problems as it is, in my humble opinion we don't need people like this just like we don't need the mattricks and koticks. Our art form is still emerging, and the people leading the frontier need to be proud of their art and beacons, not abusive and jaded developers who cancel games on a whim.

In other words, good riddance.

StuBurns

Banned
Fez was only okay I think.

I think he's working on a new game away, he seemed to suggest a VR project on GiantBomb a while back.

Slixshot

Banned
Ok buddy. You can spin your tale to make it sound like Fish never did anything wrong, but by calling people who criticize him "scum" you're no better than those people.

Lol, it's just a story. My perspective on the whole matter was that he made a game that I liked. He got called a lot of things every day from people who didn't know him and he reacted the way that the majority of people in that situation would have.

I don't know if this thread is funnier if the OP is joking or is 100% serious.

Joking. Will add that in there.

nbthedude

Good riddance to Marcus Beer. I welcome back Fish. I dont care if he says offensive things. He made a great game that was enjoyable, which is way more than that dullard Beer ever contributed to the world. That dude was such a oaf he made me embarrassed to share political beliefs with him.

You make it sounds like Phil is the victim. He canceled Fez 2, perpetuated abuse on twitter, told a guy on twitter to "suck a dick choke on it" and "go kill yourself", etc.

The industry has enough identity problems as it is, in my humble opinion we don't need people like this just like we don't need the mattricks and koticks. Our art form is still emerging, and the people leading the frontier need to be proud of their art and beacons, not abusive and jaded developers who cancel games on a whim.

In other words, good riddance.

Exactly. Fish acted like a petulant child at best and his handling of the patch issues on Fez 1 on 360 was awful. Fez 1 in addition was pretty overrated, but that's just my opinion, it's clear that isn't the consensus. But even if you do think that Fez 1 was fantastic, that hardly excuses his conduct or makes the criticisms against him villainous.

antitrop

Fez II being cancelled and Beer being unemployed is really about the only thing you could expect when people like that collide. Egos running wild. Everyone loses.

Stackboy

I still think Fez 2 is in production. I think this is the biggest troll Phil Fish has ever done.

I'm serious. Maybe at E3?!!

ignata

Still think that someday we'll see a game come out from an unknown developer and find out years later that it was what Fez II was supposed to be and Phil Fish put it out under a pseudonym to avoid the public. This is all going with my assumption that Fez II was going to be unrecognizable from the original.

You chose your words terribly. I especially dislike painting the story in such a black and white fashion. Both the people you like and hate have flaws and talking about them in this way is turning yourself away from reality.

Edit for your edit: Your "joke" wasn't funny. And no, stories don't need a hero and a villain.

nynt9

Exactly. Fish acted like a petulant child at best and his handling of the patch issues on Fez 1 on 360 was awful. Fez 1 in addition was pretty overrated, but that's just my opinion, it's clear that isn't the consensus. But even if you do think that Fez 1 was fantastic, that hardly excuses his conduct or makes the criticisms against him villainous.

Oh man, I had forgotten about the patch thing. One of the worst things a developer can do is break a game you paid for post-release and refuse to fix it.

I enjoyed Fez to some extent. I appreciate the thought put into it. But none of that excuses Fish's behavior, just like nothing excuses some of the more vile backlash he got.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I still think Fez 2 is in production. I think this is the biggest troll Phil Fish has ever done.
I'm serious. Maybe at E3?!!
Nope. It won't be at this E3. Or next E3. Or ever. Phil is a DJ now. The story of Phil Fish is the story of a man who took hate until he started to give hate. Sucked into an endless spiral. There are no pure victims in this story, just tragedy.
He should've hired someone to read his emails for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom