• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan/Europe games that never quite made it over here, but should've.

I'm real interested in games from Japan--or Europe--that never made it to the states, for unknown reasons. I'm especially interested if the game isn't correlated with a big-name franchise (Tales of ...Rebith, Destiny 2). In other words, I'm more interested in games, RPG's that were good stuff in Japan, but never saw the light of day in the US that are independent or with a development company with no contracts with publishing companies in USA.

Can anyone comment on Berwick Saga, Zill Oil Infinity, Zwei? Any games worth importing that no one's ever heard of? What are the vital games America still hasn't seen yet, that perhaps is still possible to come over here?

I feel bleh making this topic with nothing to start with. duckroll, Bebpo, Red Scarlet - anyone...what's out there?

ethelred

Well, the games you listed don't have any chance of coming out here, really, but it'd be nice if they did.

Aside from the most frequently mentioned games (Tales, Fire Emblem, Mother 3, etc.), the biggest non-localization disappointment, IMO, has been Namco's Venus and Braves. Amazing game with gorgeous music, a Valkyrie Profile-ish story and very innovative gameplay (reminds me of a mix between Ogre Battle and Thousand Arms).

Lots of Dreamcast stuff... I was very annoyed Capcom's El Dorado Gate series never came out in the US, and Napple Tale: Arsia in Dreamland. Camelot's Shining Force III Scenario 2 and Scenario 3 for the Saturn.

Career Soft's Langrisser series (all of the games except for the first are Japan-only) and Red Entertainment's Sakura Taisen series.

Giftpia... and its director's previous works, like Moon. Konami's Twelve for the PSP. The already-mentioned Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga.

Duderz

Banned
ethelred said:
Aside from the most frequently mentioned games (Tales, Fire Emblem, Mother 3, etc.), the biggest non-localization disappointment, IMO, has been Namco's Venus and Braves. Amazing game with gorgeous music, a Valkyrie Profile-ish story and very innovative gameplay (reminds me of a mix between Ogre Battle and Thousand Arms).

Beat me to it.

Mandoric

Banned
Seconding Sakura Taisen; if you can read the dialog, it's a great blend of two wildly disparate genres, with excellent character design and a deliberately campy, melodramatic script that still manages to catch the heartstrings when necessary.

To round out the lol-animu-tactical-RPG-ending-in-Wars list, Super Robot Wars is also worth a look; it's Fire Emblem or Shining Forceish gameplay with a huge cast of nostalgic anime robots, and quite good even if you don't know Gundam from Gunbuster. Its crossbreed with Armored Core, the ACE series, also released a good first effort followed by this year's excellent sequel.

Tain

Just RPGs? No clue.

But there are just too many region-exclusive games in the first place. And yeah, I'm sure that some of them would'nt have been the worst games in the world to localize.

Like, say, if Shikigami no Shiro 2 made it over here, why hasn't there been a single Cave game to do the same? And how could Earth Defense Force 2 not make a good US budget game?

D3VI0US

vibri.png

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I don't think you'll have the patience to read through all the games that SHOULD'VE came over to the US, but didn't. Shooters and fighting games will always be the worst criminals, with RPGs bringing up the rear. What roman numeral of Langrisser are they on now? Capcom didn't bring any of their 4 meg cart games to the Saturn in the US, which would've allowed Saturn owners in the states to play games like X-men vs. Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 that were near arcade perfect. Nintendo 64 owners missed out on Sin and Punishment, as well as a great version of Bangaioh (which later came out for the Dreamcast). PS2 has AWESOME shooters for it right now, and almost none of them have been released here. There are a few fighters/brawlers like Rumblefish that have yet to see a release here, as well...

Top Bottom