• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jesus Christ! The Getaway is HARD!

AssMan

Banned
Right when I first started to get used to the controls while driving, then the on foot missions start. Are there any health items in the game or did the developers just try to make this game as realistic as possible? I'm at the musuem now, and about to steal the wine, but it's going to take me at least 7 tries to beat the mission. Anyone find the game difficult?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It wasn't that hard, just annoying sometimes...

The on-foot missions weren't bad, but I HATED the way the car AI worked. They sent far too many vehicles at you with all of them slamming into you are full speed. They simply took that too far and it ruined the driving segments for me. It just wasn't fun to play because of that.

aku:jiki

AssMan said:
Right when I first started to get used to the controls while driving, then the on foot missions start. Are there any health items in the game or did the developers just try to make this game as realistic as possible? I'm at the musuem now, and about to steal the wine, but it's going to take me at least 7 tries to beat the mission. Anyone find the game difficult?
Walk up right next to a wall and stop. Your character will start leaning against it and healing up.

This is not mentioned absolutely anywhere in the PAL copy of the game. Bright move, Soho.

AssMan

Banned
Walk up right next to a wall and stop. Your character will start leaning against it and healing up.

Holy shat...my character sometimes leans against the wall, but I didn't know it recovered his health. I thought the developers were trying to make this game look like a movie:

A man overcomes all odds, getting shot like crazy, limping, bloody, and still able to accomplish his goals. I can't think of many movies off the top of my head, but The Professional comes to mind.

I mostly agree. The most fun I had with The Getaway was learning some british haha. The voice-acting was good. I couldn't finish it, got stuck at a mission where I had to drive through half of London with dozens of cars chasing me, and since driving mechanics suck it was very disheartening.

And about being "realist"... well, being surrounded by dozens of guys shooting at you while you kill them with a few shots is not realist. And to recover life, as aku:jiki said, you just need a wall and a minute of boredom.

Urgh... I wouldn't say it's hard (the first half at least) if you use the walls.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I didn't find the car AI that bad - it was difficult, certainly, but good navigation through non-hostile traffic could normally save the day. What annoyed the hell out of me on some of the later missions was the partner AI, where the woman you had to protect kept running out into the middle of the road to take pot shots at the bad guys rather than getting the hell into a car where nobody would shoot her.

The number of times she screwed up a near perfect run for me and I had to shoot her in the face out of irritation at the start of the next runthrough. :)

cja

One of the best games this gen imnsho! The controls are really tight after you nail them. The camera and movement have a long and sometimes painful learning curve but its amazing how adept you get at controlling the protaganists by the end.

The control may also be the games biggest weakness though, the latter part of the game took me only six hours to complete, half the time of the first half of the experience. The driving stopped becoming a challenge later on as well, there are patterns to the traffic so even when the roads are chocka there always seems to be a path through. Stealth elements better than MGS, racing through traffic is more involved than GTA and the storyline is pure hackneyed, stereotyped hogwash. I loved it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
cja said:
One of the best games this gen imnsho! The controls are really tight after you nail them. The camera and movement have a long and sometimes painful learning curve but its amazing how adept you get at controlling the protaganists by the end.

The control may also be the games biggest weakness though, the latter part of the game took me only six hours to complete, half the time of the first half of the experience. The driving stopped becoming a challenge later on as well, there are patterns to the traffic so even when the roads are chocka there always seems to be a path through. Stealth elements better than MGS, racing through traffic is more involved than GTA and the storyline is pure hackneyed, stereotyped hogwash. I loved it.

I agree, great game.

Razoric

Banned
I love this game. I can't wait for part 2. :D

Oh and did anyone else think the second half the game was infinitly easier than the first part?

Insertia

The Getaway rocked, but it was too difficult and the enemy vehicle AI was a pain in the ass. It's took dozens and dozens of tries for me to complete some missions, which isn't fun.

Insertia said:
The Getaway rocked, but it was too difficult and the enemy vehicle AI was a pain in the ass. It's took dozens and dozens of tries for me to complete some missions, which isn't fun.

Don't play Ninja Gaiden.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Meh, The Getaway wasn't that hard. Just don't play the game like GTA and crash into everything

Top Bottom