• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Carrey In Talks to Join 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Live Action Flick

He would be playing/voicing as Doctor Robotnik. I hope I he can pull it off

http://www.justjared.com/2018/06/29...to-join-sonic-the-hedgehog-live-action-flick/

Jim Carrey is in talks to play a villain in the upcoming Sonic The Hedgehog flick, according to Deadline!

The 56-year-old actor is reportedly in the middle of negotiations with Paramount to play Robotnik, a villain in the live action/CGI adaptation of the hit Sega video game.

The film is set to follow Sonic as he works to stop Dr. Eggman from completing his plans for world domination.

Paramount secured the film rights to the 1991 Sega game last year.

Codes 208

I'd watch it. Jim Carrey's zanny mannerisms would make an excellent Robotnik.

I'm more concerned about how they would portray Sonic. Please no more edgy way past cool huehue chili-dawgs!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
giphy.gif

Jarbloko

That was random :D.
now i can expect.
danny devito for tails
Chevy chase for knuckles
and terry crews for amy

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I hope they actually use the name Doctor Robotnik. Eggman was a stupid name ...
Finally I'm not alone in this. I've never understood the change to Eggman, I've hated it from the first time I played Sonic Adventure and hate it equally today.

He's Dr. Robotnik, that's his name.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Still hate the way he’s now Eggman...

No...

My memory and all my toys from the 90s are Robotnic, and that will never change damn it!

JimiNutz

Banned
Does anyone expect this to be anything other than a complete train wreck? I was desperate for a Sonic movie as a child. I used to look out of the car window and imagine Sonic running along side the car, dodging in and out of traffic but I just don't see how they can really make a live action Sonic work unless it has a huge budget and is set in a world with very few human characters. In all likelihood they will just dump a CGI Sonic into our world and it's just going to come across as so cheesy and corny.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Finally I'm not alone in this. I've never understood the change to Eggman, I've hated it from the first time I played Sonic Adventure and hate it equally today.

He's Dr. Robotnik, that's his name.
The japanese name was always dr eggma...THE WESTERN MANUAL SAID ROBOTNIK SHUT UP NANANANANANANANANANA

HeresJohnny

The bigger question is why in the name of everything sacred is a Sonic movie being made? It's going to be a bomb of epic proportions. Paramount must need to report an operating loss for that particular quarter or something, because here's a big hint: you can't make a successful video game movie from a video game that no longer sells. Sonic is niche as hell these days. No one wants to play it, and even fewer will want to see it.

ilfait

I hope Sonic's role is live action in this too. Maybe get Usain Bolt in blueface to play him. Or just have him dressed in his normal sprinting clothes but wearing a blue bike helmet.

DESTROYA

Jim Carrey has talent?
I thought he just made stupid faces... yeah it’ll be a great movie ;):unsure::sleep::sick::poop:

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I miss Jim Carrey. He hasn't done anything remotely interesting since I love you, Philip Morris. And a live action movie about Sonic isn't gonna change that.

Arkage

Banned
Robotnik? I thought it was officially Eggman now. Even though Eggman is a clearly stupid name in comparison.

Meta prediction of 20%. Too soon?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I hate how much hate this is getting. The movie is definitely not going to be good if you go into it with this much cynicism. Does anyone care to explain why Jim Carrey isn't fit for the role, besides "I hate Jim Carrey"? Is it because Robotnik is fat? Well, there's no one that looks like Robotnik in real life, let alone one with acting skills/experience. Video fx will get Jim Carrey looking like Robotnik no problem. He's played the likes of The Grinch, Count Olaf (Series of Unfortunate Events), Riddler (Batman), Mask, even The Cable Guy, so he's had plenty of experience playing a cartoonish, villainous character. Jim Carrey will have people watching the movie just by having his name on it, so I think this is a smart move.

ZiriusOne

Has Hollyweird still not learned from previous video game movies? Stop trying to make live action video game/anime movies happen.

How many mushrooms do you even need to take to think it's a smart investment to fund a Sonic live action movie?

iconmaster

Banned
Supposedly Sonic will be a delinquent in an urban environment and we should be thinking of this as a buddy-cop movie.

HEDGEHOG-large-image-WEB2.jpg

Yeah, this has "Super Mario Bros movie" written all over it.

Last edited:

ilfait

Has Hollyweird still not learned from previous video game movies? Stop trying to make live action video game/anime movies happen.

How many mushrooms do you even need to take to think it's a smart investment to fund a Sonic live action movie?
Shhh, don't tell them.

Top Bottom