• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Job interview at Environment Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerbelly

Banned
I have a job interview at Environment Canada for the Client Support position next Monday. What types of questions should I expect from a postion such as this? I know many people here have had similar jobs so any sort of help would be great.

Here's the job description:

The student will be a member of our Client Support team, implementing the latest client server mail software (Microsoft Outlook) throughout Environment Canada's Downsview Office which consist of over 700 hundred clients.

The successful student's main responsibilities will consist of installing new computers and associated software on user's computers. Maintaining and troubleshooting Windows 95/98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems and related software including installing and supporting Veratis Backup software.

Installing and troubleshooting and providing follow-up support for the Microsoft Office and the latest Internet access tools.

The work involves configuring the newest hardware to meet the users computing needs. Environment Canada hires many co-op students, so there are plenty of opportunities to meet other students.

fart

Savant
expect them to do a test stab-in-the-eye-with-a-screwdriver, because that's what working tech support is like.

i'm sorry.

beerbelly

Banned
Can you elaborate, Fart?

Pochacco, I'm in the cooperative education program at Ryerson studying.

I'm competing against 12 others for this position, apparently :S

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I'm not exactly sure what they're gonna ask you.
I know a few people from my Universtiry that got internships at Environment Canada. They seemed to enjoy it. Sadly, I don't know of their hiring process.

If it's anything like the student positions I got interviewed for, however, don't expect too many technical questions. They're not going to place you in a highly technical role right away (especially for a coop position). Since it's a team environment, they might try to find out how well you work within a team. E.g. they might ask you about any school team projects you worked on: conflicts that might have arisen and how you solved them, etc.

I wouldn't rule out techinal questions out though..and you might wanna brush up on your knowledge.

And, as a bonus, you might wanna try emphasing the importance of the customer/client. They mention "consist of over 700 hundred clients"...when it comes down to it, work is all about taking care of the firm's customers.

Manics

Banned
From my experience a few years back working for the Ministry of Natural Resources, expect to be asked if you can handle tech questions like :

1) My freecell isn't working anymore, what do i do?
2) The printer doesn't work can you fix it?
3) Why is the internet so slow?
4) OK if you can't get freecell to work I guess I'll stick with plain Solitaire, where is that?
5) What other games does Windows come with?

fart

Savant
Manics said:
1) My freecell isn't working anymore, what do i do?
2) The printer doesn't work can you fix it?
3) Why is the internet so slow?
4) OK if you can't get freecell to work I guess I'll stick with plain Solitaire, where is that?
5) What other games does Windows come with?
:lol

seriously, the most important part of any tech support job is calming down all the idiots at the workstations, not supporting the workstation themselves.

alejob

That sounds like a cool job. Offcourse I started studying biology and then switch to Computer Science and now I'm into Network administration.

beerbelly

Banned
I just found out they will be interviewing 17 individuals for this job. It says there's only 1 job opening. 17 people being interviewed for one job...is this common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom