• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Bernthal returns as The Punisher in Daredevil: Born Again

Mr Hyde

Excited Wake Up GIF by Originals

xrnzaaas

Deborah Ann Woll has had a pretty horrible acting career and I think she's quite talented based on her True Blood role. Hard to say if they didn't want her because of the recent redhead apocalypse in Hollywood or are there some other factors involved. I've listened to an interview with her recently and it definitely felt like she wanted to come back.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This an adaptation of the Frank Miller series?

If so, there's really good reasons why certain characters aren't returning if its in any way faithful!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Deborah Ann Woll has had a pretty horrible acting career and I think she's quite talented based on her True Blood role. Hard to say if they didn't want her because of the recent redhead apocalypse in Hollywood or are there some other factors involved. I've listened to an interview with her recently and it definitely felt like she wanted to come back.
It's a real shame IMO. And she's important as hell to Frank. But hey...it's punishing time...again!

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder if they will keep the same punisher skull motif. Haven't they redone it since it was popularized and co-opted by 'Deplorables'?

DAW definitely dropped off the screen quite a bit post-DD, but seems like she went hard on the DnD web stuff, that and her personal life (her hubby is blind, right?) probably limit her options for acting.

Kadve

Isn't the Born again storyline like nothing but Matt getting the shit beaten out of him and him accepting his life as miserable? Feels like it would make for a boring adaptation.

AJUMP23

No Deborah Ann Wohl.....No good.

In all honesty I do not care about more super hero stuff. We wished for all sorts of super hero stuff and we have had a glut.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I was going to make a joke about Walt Disney hating Jews, but I decided not to. They did give us Lohan and I guess they have had some red heads that are in animated features....Brave and Ariel.
Of course, but that was before the world changed. Now we must be more diverse. Fuck the source material.

AJUMP23

Of course, but that was before the world changed. Now we must be more diverse. Fuck the source material.
I went to watch creed and there was no Rocky in it and I do not know why Stallone is not even in the franchise and characters that he created. He wrote the first one and somehow someone else owns it. Like a musician who doesn't own their music.

Not the same thing really but yes people do not care about the value of the material they care about making sure everything is represented. And that they think is the point not what the material is trying to teach.

wvnative

Gotta be honest while it's an awesome and unexpected surprise he's coming back, I don't see this working out. Punisher don't really jive with Disney Marvel...

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Idk about this show. If it’s not something completely fresh for Marvel, I don’t want it. It won’t be movie quality and it’s not gonna be the Netflix show. If this is just another Disney+ quality show, I’m not going to be interested.

Fbh

This would have been way more exciting 5 terrible Marvel shows ago.

This is gonna be "Book of Fett" levels of quality, I have no doubt.

I just hope they work in a Dolph Lundgren cameo.

Two third into the show they'll just give up and give us some Mandalorian episodes?
Hey, not too bad!

jason10mm

Gold Member
This would have been way more exciting 5 terrible Marvel shows ago.

Two third into the show they'll just give up and give us some Mandalorian episodes?
Hey, not too bad!
I'll settle for a soft opening for BLADE. If they can't figure out a full movie, at least give us an episode or 2 of DD and Punisher teaming up with Blade to torch a nest of vamps.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Punisher wasn’t an issue for marvel, or Netflix it was the other super heroes a lot of cage, Jones and fist was nonsense.
jessica jones daredevil GIF by NETFLIX

I have to agree. Iron Fist's story spun its wheels going nowhere. He was a super hero who even after two seasons of his own show and multiple appearances in others had to struggle with all of his might just to use his super power for two seconds. He was supposed to be the ultimate Kung-Fu fighter but still got balled up by Dare Devil. They also clearly did not invest in training whatever that lead actor's name is, and the choreography overall was some of the worst in modern entertainment IMO. They should have killed that show after the first season.

Jessica Jones started off well but became rudderless pretty quickly. And despite a ton of screen time the character simply never genuinely grew or became more endearing or likeable. I don't blame the actress because she was funny and charismatic in Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, so I think it was direction and writing.

Luke Cage likewise started off good but season two felt pointless and the writers wrote him to be so wooden, when comic Cage is one of the most colorful and talkative characters in Marvel.

As for Bernthal Punisher, I thought he was just playing the same character he is often typecast as with a splash of Punisherness. Not very compelling. But I'll give it him that at the most basic level he did feel like the Punisher when on screen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Punisher is best suited for short stints where he kicks the shit out of people.

Put the character into long drawn out Netflix series where nothing is going on 95% of the time, and the character is boring as hell as he's got nothing interesting about him except cracking skulls.

Top Bottom