• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart on Vaccine Science and Wuhan lab theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudNull

Banned
Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

Twitter bots jumped on the hate so damn fast. Crazy that even discussing this still gets you labeled as conspiracy theory. There’s a legit conversation to be had here.

I love the bizarre fear and panic that Colbert gets as soon as Stewart starts talking. Goes to show the difference in talent, but that was honestly apparent back when a decently funny side character got spun off from The Daily Show. A marginally talented guy was given an autostrawmen to play every day, and unlike The Daily Show he almost never attacked or mocked bullshit on the opposite side of the aisle. Stewart is a real comedian, and Colbert is just an actor playing one.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Some people are trying to play this off as Stewart being satirical and making fun of conspiracy theorists.

Uh, what?

AJUMP23

People have stuck their head in the sand and denied the logical idea of the Wuhan lab being the source because they wanted to protect/project a narrative. Multiple reasons from hating the administration at the time, to not wanting to be racist, to loving Fauci and so on.

Hatemachine

Banned
You would have to be a literal retard to think that a lab leak origin of COVID19 is anything less than "highly probable". Colbert is humiliating himself here.

Kenpachii

Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

Twitter bots jumped on the hate so damn fast. Crazy that even discussing this still gets you labeled as conspiracy theory. There’s a legit conversation to be had here.

What is there discuss? china will never admit it. no research on it will ever be done. and with who in there pocket its GG already before it started.

There is no discussion really, corona happened and now we need to find way to counter the next one way quicker.

CloudNull

Banned
What is there discuss? china will never admit it. no research on it will ever be done. and with who in there pocket its GG already before it started.

There is no discussion really, corona happened and now we need to find way to counter the next one way quicker.
This is the problem. Everyone keeps saying let’s just move on. I say no.

What we can do as a country is never let the people forget that the media gave many of us the scarlet letter for even discussing this. The idea that MSM and social media control what theories can and cannot be discussed is something that we should prevent from ever happening again. We need to push through laws so that they are held accountable. That might never happen but we can vote with our wallets.

I for one no longer turn to any legacy news and only use YouTube and podcast. I go out of my way to find the people redefining what the news can be, the people trying to give us non partisan news.... Breaking Points is a perfect example.

Oh and if we’re lucky fauci will go to jail.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

This is all there is to it - even if the leak was real what is the end game? China will never admit it, nor will they compensate for it. A lot of time, money and effort for nothing.

Also looking at Stewart and his clothes I have a sneaky suspicion he has cancer.

This is all there is to it - even if the leak was real what is the end game? China will never admit it, nor will they compensate for it. A lot of time, money and effort for nothing.

Also looking at Stewart and his clothes I have a sneaky suspicion he has cancer.
If you point the heat lamp on China for this, and gather world wide support. You lessen the chance that China allows this to accidentally happen again.

That's not even beginning to mention the chance that China does this again on purpose. They weren't even necessarily prepared this time, and yet the short amount of a headstart they did have. They fully used to their advantage. They pushed forward with progress in every direction possible, knowing the rest of the planet sat frozen in time for over a year. At great financial expense no less. One or two more pandemics similar to this, and China becomes the defacto biggest superpower fully able to push it's agenda and philosophy everywhere.

There's literally zero exaggeration in my statement believe it or not. That's simply extrapolating the results of Covid a couple of times over.

Sakura

How about more oversight and transparency? Of course China would never compensate for it. But that doesn't mean the issue should be ignored.
If they got away with it this time, why wouldn't they think they could get away with it again?

highrider

Banned
Colbert remembered when he was still a man. My understanding 6 months ago was that I was a conspiracy nut to even suggest this was highly probable. But it’s great to see that they’ve been unable to find covid 19 in the natural world, because now my viewpoint is acceptable 👍👀

highrider

Banned

Yeah just let China fuck the world over. I don’t see why they should be accountable for their inaction and deceit. Just lay there and let them. Put the screws to those fuckers, sanctions, import tariffs out the wazoo. Make life extremely difficult for them. And don’t rely on our worthless allies barring Israel.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Gold Member
That is pretty much perfection, only Stewert could have framed something that is so obvious to any rational person in a way where the useful idiots like Cobert that said it was somehow debunked because snopes said so look absolutely foolish in hidesight.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

I love how all these spineless fucks are suddenly discovering logic and reason well after we've sailed into Crazy Town (helmed by them). Fuck off, and don't forget what brainless shills all of these Hollywood elites revealed themselves to be over the last decade.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh, that whole thing was planned. Colbert gave him the opening with the science set up and then just let him rip.

They were mocking both the lab theory and the ridiculous suppression of even talking about it which only makes it seem more plausible to some.

And how old is Stewart? He has the ass of an eighty year old man. SQUATS are your friend!

FunkMiller

I think anyone completely dismissing the idea that the coronavirus could have been engineered and accidentally released from a lab designed to engineer and study coronaviruses probably needs to have a good long think.

However:

Colbert’s point is a good one. Laboratories are indeed often set up in areas where their area of study is prevalent. You don’t find many labs studying volcanoes nowhere near volcanoes.

The key thing is that a proper, transparent investigation needs to be had… which we’ll never get unless the West starts to pull itself together and push back on China’s ongoing depredations.

Boston

I think anyone completely dismissing the idea that the coronavirus could have been engineered and accidentally released from a lab designed to engineer and study coronaviruses probably needs to have a good long think.

However:

Colbert’s point is a good one. Laboratories are indeed often set up in areas where their area of study is prevalent. You don’t find many labs studying volcanoes nowhere near volcanoes.

The key thing is that a proper, transparent investigation needs to be had… which we’ll never get unless the West starts to pull itself together and push back on China’s ongoing depredations.
If that’s the case, why haven’t they found any wild bats with Covid-19?

Ememee

I love the bizarre fear and panic that Colbert gets as soon as Stewart starts talking. Goes to show the difference in talent, but that was honestly apparent back when a decently funny side character got spun off from The Daily Show. A marginally talented guy was given an autostrawmen to play every day, and unlike The Daily Show he almost never attacked or mocked bullshit on the opposite side of the aisle. Stewart is a real comedian, and Colbert is just an actor playing one.
Sad how far Colbert’s fallen. Or risen, really.

Countries with a history of and known for propaganda/lying and denying any wrongdoing 99% of the time something bad happens should never be given the benefit of the doubt.

FunkMiller

If that’s the case, why haven’t they found any wild bats with Covid-19?

Because that’s the way we label the human disease. Sars-Cov2 (technical name) has been identified in bats.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21240-1

It’s a perfectly reasonable hypothesis to say that Covid 19 could have originated in bats or other fauna. After all, that’s how an awful lot of diseases get into humans.

Last edited:

They don't have to - countries could just say they consider their debts canceled en mass and tell China to fuck off.

However:

And like Stewart said, bats are ubiquitous. Bats in the US have zoonotic viruses/pathogens that people can get (and occasionally do) too, and there is always the chance that one of those will become easily transmissible. Wuhan isn't special, and the more obvious reason the lab is there is that Wuhan is a biotech center.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Funny, but its true. We havent even eradicated coronavirus from the human population despite hundreds of millions of vaccines and all of a sudden all the bats in wuhan are coronavirus free? Why isnt it spreading again? Why didnt it spread before?

These idiot scientists were fucking around with this thing and got sick. Then didnt tell anyone and it spread like wildfire because China fucking sucks and tried to cover it up.

I dont care if it leaked from a Wuhan lab or a Wuhan wet market. China covered it up and allowed people to travel abroad and thats why they need to pay hundreds of billions in restitution. The world needs to hold them responsible. We can live without some electronics and plastic products for a few years if they threaten to stop doing business with us. I say the next 10 years China pays a tax to the rest of the world. I dont give a shit if it leads to the third world war like the treaty of versaille led to. We beat Germany's ass. We will beat China if we have to.

MastaKiiLA

The lab theory is (a) unprovable, and (b) not also applied to SARS and MERS, which are very similar coronaviruses, but lacking the proximity of a research facility. Meanwhile, bats (a potential source of coronaviruses) inhabit every continent on the planet outside of Antarctica, and probably most of the Pacific Islands. Quite possibly the widest-spread animal on the planet. I like Jon, but his argument here is incredibly weak.

And I would posit that there is no good that comes from discussion, partly due to (a) above, but mostly due to the fact that it only serves to further the stigma against Asian communities. It's a theory that will never be proven true, and yet Asians can never prove it false. All they end up doing is catching L's for no good reason than to make some people feel better about their distrust of China. You can distrust them without continuing to push this pointless theory. As a victim of baseless stereotypes, I empathize with their community.

Tschumi

his pants offend me

just wanna establish that.

now, the video...

i liked this guy hugely, just like many, but i'm with colbert, anyway no politics <3

llien

People have stuck their head in the sand and denied the logical idea of the Wuhan lab being the source because they wanted to protect/project a narrative. Multiple reasons from hating the administration at the time, to not wanting to be racist, to loving Fauci and so on.
As with masks, it immediately become (US, so entire world had to suffer) partisan issue and there was no room left for civil discussions.

The wet market and tendency of Chinese in South China to eat wild animals was highlighted many times, but nobody mentioned that Yunnan province, where the said Covid bats are to be found, is fucking 2000+ kilometers away from Wuhan.

On top of it, neither the US intelligence data, e.g. two Novel Coronavirus Wulhan Laboratory scientists getting to a hospital at the end of October 2019 was available.
(which is curious, given that it was in Trump's hands).

And to make it worse, there were dubious conspiracy theories such as China had artificially developed the virus and infected the world. (why the heck would they spread it in Wuhan)

FunkMiller

I dont care if it leaked from a Wuhan lab or a Wuhan wet market. China covered it up and allowed people to travel abroad and thats why they need to pay hundreds of billions in restitution. The world needs to hold them responsible. We can live without some electronics and plastic products for a few years if they threaten to stop doing business with us. I say the next 10 years China pays a tax to the rest of the world. I dont give a shit if it leads to the third world war like the treaty of versaille led to. We beat Germany's ass. We will beat China if we have to.

I don't think anyone would argue this point much. Regardless of its origin, the CCP is responsible for the spread of covid 19 across the globe, because it was more important to them to hide the fact they'd allowed a virus to flourish in the country, than it was to prevent the virus from spreading. Typical actions of a totalitarian regime: deny and lie to avoid looking bad at any cost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom