• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Julien Merceron, worldwide technology director overseeing Fox Engine at Konami, quits

"Fuck Konami" he muttered.

Hit the Lever!
iBSWjdj.gif

I hope he goes somewhere that utilizes his experience/talent.

Klossen

Banned
No, they just have different goals and don't really care about hitting 60fps.

They don't really care about hitting 30 either from the looks of it. Also a design choice?

Edit: Sorry for the off-topic posting. Like I said, it would've been really interesting to see Fox Engine adapted on more games besides football to see its prowess. But with Julien leaving, it seems unlikely.

Zil33184

I hope he didn't burn bridges at Square since they're actually making games these days.

I dunno, maybe Capcom needs more hands on deck to rescue Panta Rhei.

They don't really care about hitting 30 either from the looks of it. Also a design choice?

Edit: Sorry for the off-topic posting. Like I said, it would've been really interesting to see Fox Engine adapted on more games besides football to see its prowess. But with Julien leaving, it seems unlikely.

Yes? Graphics is the most important thing this days and to achieve their target they have to make concession on framerate. If they wanted to make Unity a 60fps game in that engine they could have (they did since it's 60 on PC), it would've looked much worse and it wasn't their intention from the beginning.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good for him. Who the fuck would want to work for Konami anymore.

Though I really wish he was able to put the engine building stuff out there for the Fox Engine. So people could fully mod the game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Such a lust for talent exoduses! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO will be next.

Breakage

In console games or as a company generally?
As a company in general.

Konami doesn't make money off games nowadays. They're perfectly fine and will be for years to come.

Id say pretty high. They don't do traditional gaming development anymore.

Oh cool. Just read they operate a bunch of fitness clubs and have their hands in anime, slot machine and toy markets. I thought most of Konami's income came from video games.

Elixist

"so what's my next project?" Julien asked. "We need some engine work on this pachinko machine, or u can work on the software for the exercise bike! exciting right?!"

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

ZhugeEX

Banned
Oh cool. Just read they operate a bunch of fitness clubs and have their hands in anime, slot machine and toy markets. I thought most of Konami's income came from video games.

Digital Entertainment is their biggest division but that also includes Mobile and other online games which bring in a bit as well as their annualised console titles like PES.

Other divisions are smaller but they have nothing to do with console gaming and are growing in their own right.

Randomizer

The depressing thing is Konami's mobile and gambling future will probably be lucrative and they will hold onto and hoard their best franchises (MGS, Castlevania, Suikoden etc.) doing absolutely nothing with them.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Now please link up with Kojima, form brand new studio and make even greater games! Everyone link the fuck up.

duckroll

We've just gotten new information from our sources. Apparently, Konami has 0 AAA console game currently in development/planned. The only console game they plan on releasing next year is PES 2017. When Konami said they were already working on the next Metal Gear, it was pure BS.

Here is the article we wrote about it: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/53518-konami-arrete-les-jeux-aaa-console-aucun-metal-gear-en-prepa

That can't be right since they just announced a new Powerful Pro Baseball game for PS3/PS4/Vita for Spring 2016: http://www.konami.jp/pawa/new/

You might need better sources. :p

Trojan

Please take Fox Engine with you Julien ):

He can't and won't because of laws and stuff. Konami owns that entire engine because it was designed by their employees during their tenure at Konami. Unless they totally tucked up the hiring paperwork, he can't use any part of that code.

It's cool...Kojima has already fultoned him back to the new Mother Base to begin work on new Ops. ;-). Building a new base with a new team has been the theme all a long right?

Top Bottom