• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found my next comp!!:The Toshiba Cell Refrence set development platform ^_^

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
It includes:

One IBM Cell processor

One Toshiba Super Companion Chip(video/audio input/output, digital AV interface, IEEE 1394, digital tuner interface, network interface and storage device interface)

One power supply system chip

One DVD drive

One HDD preloaded with Linux and TRON

Various preloaded software (middleware,software development tools,Eclipse framework based editor, compiler, debugger, and performance monitor)

Various Cooling equipment (fans, etc.) and a snazzy case

Available ~ April 2006

Price is not mentioned :D

toshiba.jpg

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_09/pr2001.htm

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, is anything known about Toshibas SCC chip at all? (Other than whats listed above.)

And is it known if that'll be in the PS3?

(Certainly seems to fit the bill for the previously rumoured "companion" chip.)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, judging by previous pics of the PS3 dev kit, theres a reason they are not showing you the rest of it, well as a GAF exclusing I present you the PSU, Case and CPU Cooling Fan:

~generator.jpg

8x35custom.JPG

fan_repair.jpg

;)

Raistlin

Anyone have any interest in an unused PS2 Linux kit?

I purchased it right before I started a long term project involving A LOT of travel (what, 3+ years ago?).

Basically, I had no ambition to go home and do more coding.

Raistlin

Even if available, to run with what OS?

You'ld have to wait until if and when someone(s) with a Linux kit either rips the OS, or modifies a standard version of Linux to run on it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Google should write an OS that runs over cell and kick the fucking shit out of Microsoft.

Wouldn't that be a bitch.

:lol

Tellaerin

Vark said:
outside of limited uses, the cell isn't exactly general purpose.

People are quick to mention Cell's specialized nature, and cite this as the key reason a Cell-based PC would fare poorly on desktops. My question is, outside of games and multimedia applications (both of which a Cell-based machine would excel at), how much of the 'general-purpose computing power' of a typical PC is ever utilized by the average home user? I could be wrong, but I'd think that even though it might not be the optimal chip for the job, a Cell-based PC should still be able to run a web browser, word processor, spreadsheet, etc., at acceptable speeds. (Whether or not it'd be significantly more difficult to code those apps is another question.) Personally, I'd love to see somebody launch a Cell-based desktop machine. :)

Dr_Cogent said:
Google should write an OS that runs over cell and kick the fucking shit out of Microsoft.

Wouldn't that be a bitch.

:lol

I don't think I'd want to run anything on a Google OS after reading about some of the privacy issues surrounding their search engine. I wouldn't mind seeing IBM make a big comeback in the home market with a Cell-based home PC, though. :)

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
ibm sold their home market desktop/laptop business. Cell is coming to the workstation/server space though IBM is sure of that, so theres a possibility of a cell desktop.

DCharlie

Banned
Cell could have some interesting applications in business, but i'm sure we'll get the usual mongs (like we do at our company ALL THE TIME) telling us to migrate onto Cell workstations as DESKTOPS (like we did with Linux)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DonasaurusRex said:
hmm so they are gonna take the plunge into the desktop market eh...interesting indeed.

This isn't really a "desktop" for consumer use, I don't think. It's a hardware development platform for Cell programmers, really. It's not like this is going into a PC they're going to market for $999 against Dell ;)

(Dell, Cell, wayhay!)

seanoff

It would make a fantastic home HDTV/Music server.

1 x 8 cell would be able to decode enough music and HD video for the average very rich family home.

Say 6 simultaneous HD video streams, 3 music streams and other ancillary stuff.

KLEE, make this your goal.

Top Bottom