• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katsuya Eguchi open to the idea of an Animal Crossing-themed app for mobile devices

L~A

For starters, don't expect them to make an Animal Crossing game for smartphones, as Eguchi believes only Nintendo hardware is the right home for the series, especially for those players who like to meticulously design and organise their town :

Eguchi reaffirmed the series' home on Nintendo hardware, pointing out that while some may enjoy Animal Crossing in short spurts, there are many that spend the time to meticulously organize their towns, down to the location of each and every flower. He also feels that the 3DS' inputs lend themselves to that style of gameplay better than the existing options on smartphones.

But following what Iwata said a few weeks ago about using smartphones to strengthen Nintendo's traditional business, Eguchi believes an Animal Crossing : New Leaf app could be interesting (like an app to design clothes) :

With that said, Eguchi did express interest in leveraging mobile devices in a way that could bring fans back to their primary Animal Crossing experience. He offered examples of hypothetical apps that would let you create clothing designs on the go, or serve as reminders of appointments made to hang out with the villagers in their town. Eguchi seems open to the idea of working with mobile devices, provided it's something that would inspire players to return to the central Animal Crossing experience more often.

Funny thing, the Animal Crossing plaza is actually a companion app. Maybe that's one possible idea for an AC app on mobile devices?

Source

-Horizon-

All the villagers in the next game will have cell phones and will text you and tweet constantly. Constantly evolving and changing, stay up to date with whats hip in your town by connecting your game to the new android and iOS apps.

Is what I'm now expecting.

All the villagers in the next game will have cell phones and will text you and tweet constantly. Constantly evolving and changing, stay up to date with whats hip in your town by connecting your game to the new android and iOS apps.

"Hanging with Bob and Ankha at Brewsters, wish you were here, [Main Character]. #BestBuds #Selfies #GoodAssedCoffee"

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A companion app makes more sense for a console version, because you can tinker with things while away from your system. Doesn't make sense for a handheld game since you can have it on you at all times.

Terrell

That would be pretty funny.

Or angry neighbors texting you photos of the weeds that have grown in your absence.

Shiggy

But beware, if you download this app, it's locked to your phone. And in traditional AC ways, the game will see updates with major innovations (e.g. in future iterations of the app you can become the major). Unfortunately, it won't be an update to the app - instead you need to buy it again and again.

$$$

Something like Miiverse on mobile where you sent messages? Like letters to your or friend's in-game mailbox? I dunno.

Are you fuckin* joking? Send messages to friends? Via the internet into a Nintendo app or game?
pedobear_2.png

Tripon

"is stopping"? Don't tell me they've yet to make an Animal Crossing clone on iOS?

The best comparison I can think of is the Sims, and even that had DLC, and didn't play well on mobile. Looking around, there's Happy Street, described as a 2D version of Animal Crossing, and yes it has a virtual currency system that you can totally pay real money to get more of.

And there's Castaway Paradise whose itunes page describes buying pearls and gems as the top in-app-purchases. It also has a steam greenlight application in process, but no idea if it has been greenlighted yet.

Its actually kinda depressing being right about this.

Edit: Both games describe it as the 'Animal Crossing' for iOS. So AC is still the leader in this type of genre.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
The best comparison I can think of is the Sims, and even that had DLC, and didn't play well on mobile. Looking around, there's Happy Street, described as a 2D version of Animal Crossing, and yes it has a virtual currency system that you can totally pay real money to get more of.

And there's Castaway Paradise whose itunes page describes buying pearls and gems as the top in-app-purchases. It also has a steam greenlight application in process, but no idea if it has been greenlighted yet.

Its actually kinda depressing being right about this.

Edit: Both games describe it as the 'Animal Crossing' for iOS. So AC is still the leader in this type of genre.
Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon are unique games. Not many developers have dared to replicate the formula.

Until this year.

With Castaway Paradise we're combining Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon and social games. It's a blend that is perfect for mobile. Hopefully you'll try it out when it's out of beta.

MisterHero

*sigh* why make Animal Crossing for 3DS at all if you need a seperate device to interact with it "away from home"? Why not just take the 3DS with you?!

Furthermore, when AC Wii U comes out, why use a phone app? Why not leverage Nintendo's own pocket device? It's not like they need a universal app for Xbox/PS players.

NewGame

Banned
Animal Crossing is difficult to play with touch-only input. They tried that with the Wii IR pointer and it didn't feel good at all.

MarkusRJR

Honestly Animal Crossing and Pokemon are the best suited Nintendo series that'd work on phones. I know a lot of people hate the idea of traditional Nintendo games on phones (myself included), but I'd kill for a phone version of AC. I never carry my 3DS around on the go, whilst I always have my phone with me.

Unless Nintendo makes a phone or something (lol) AC is basically only for when I'm at home, which is depressing considering the massive social aspects involved (one of the reasons why I think a phone version of Pokémon would also be a perfect fit).

mclem

Eweverse.

Top Bottom