• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keyboard gaming: going back to membrane from mechanical?

Iced

Has anyone gone back to membrane keyboards after using a mechanical one for any significant period of time? I've owned a mechanical keyboard with brown switches for a couple of years and, although I love typing on it, I feel like I'm just being a pain to my live-in girlfriend (who I moved in with after getting the keyboard). This is especially true with gaming, where I will often press down hard on the keys during really intense gameplay.

Is there any going back?

I mean you can but it's not ideal.

If you've switched between PC gaming with mech and laptop gaming then you know what to expect. It's not as good to use but you're not going to literally die or anything.

Same issue here. Bought a nifty $100 mech keyboard and I can't stand it! I actually prefer chiclet keys like on a Mac for typing or for gaming. The keys are too bulky and get in the way of actually moving from key to key.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah this is what I'm thinking. I'd certainly feel less guilty those nights when I'm doing some late night gaming.

Yeah, you won't have to use it all the time but clicky keys late at night are extremely annoying.

betawi

Neo Member
I've been thinking about switching back to membrane as well, although for me, the reason is cable.

Is there any wireless mechanical keyboard out there?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Have you... I dunno, asked her if you were being annoying with your keyboard? I'm sure you're making a bigger deal about the sound than she would.

OneUh8

Yeah even reds and brown switches make some noise and they are supposed to be quiet. Maybe try something other than a cherry switch? I know Logitech uses a different kind of switch on some keyboards.

I switch between a mechanical keyboard at home (Cherry MX Browns) and a membrane keyboard at work, and honestly I think you'll be alright. I don't game at work, obviously, so I can't say for sure that you'll be able to go back no problem, but I used a membrane keyboard for decades playing PC games before I got this keyboard, and I was fine.

A mechanical keyboard is nicer in some ways but I don't think the difference is so huge.

Zafir

I switch between a mechanical keyboard at home (Cherry MX Browns) and a membrane keyboard at work, and honestly I think you'll be alright. I don't game at work, obviously, so I can't say for sure that you'll be able to go back no problem, but I used a membrane keyboard for decades playing PC games before I got this keyboard, and I was fine.

A mechanical keyboard is nicer in some ways but I don't think the difference is so huge.

Same here.

I do really like my mechanical keyboard at home, and I love how it feels. That said, it's not the end of the world when I have to use a membrane keyboard a work.

That all said, if you do want to stick with a mechanical keyboard you could maybe try some other switches. The Romer G switches from Logitech are a bit quieter.

I'll have no big problems with going back to a membrane keyboard, I already use one at work though I would be rather reluctant to switch out a mechanical keyboard for a membrane when on my gaming PC. Only if my significant other was unable to tolerate it would I consider doing so.

Inumbris

I've been thinking about switching back to membrane as well, although for me, the reason is cable.

Is there any wireless mechanical keyboard out there?

There aren't many, but they're out there! From what I've heard, the Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 is one of the best.

As for your question OP, I don't think I can ever go back. I love my MX Blues so much. The only compromise I would make in a similar situation would be going to a stealthier switch type and dampening rings, but I can never go back to membrane now, given a choice.

I can barely stand using the membrane keyboards at my job - they feel so off to me now that I'm use to blues at home. Try some sound dampeners (like o-rings) or teach yourself to use lighter presses. Put a pad under your keyboard if your desk is part of the noise problem.

If your problem is bottoming out keys, membrane keyboards are still going to be well audible. They can make a decent amount of noise.

WaterAstro

I'm waiting to see if Logitech will release a non-shitty key cap version with Romer G.

They've only been using Romer G on their high-end keyboards that sport the angled keycaps, and it's a "DRM" keyboard because Romer G isn't compatible with any other key caps.

Zafir

I'm waiting to see if Logitech will release a non-shitty key cap version with Romer G.

They've only been using Romer G on their high-end keyboards that sport the angled keycaps, and it's a "DRM" keyboard because Romer G isn't compatible with any other key caps.

They already have?

The G810 has fairly standard key caps. Standard in the sense of shape. They still can't be swapped.

This is the one I have, but it's the only mechanical keyboard I've ever used, so I can't really compare it to anything. However, I had to send it back to Corsair (literally just last week) so I returned to an old Dell keyboard. And honestly, I don't find it that bad at all. Of course I prefer my Strafe, but I didn't find the Dell keyboard to be unbearable or even "worse" than my Strafe. Just slightly different feel. But I guess I'm just weird.

nullpoynter

It's a pity Microsoft quit making the Sidewinder X4 keyboard. That keyboard is great, and in my opinion, is still a great keyboard compared to the mechanical alternatives of today.

Giever

It's completely fine. I have a buckling spring keyboard for my desktop, but whenever I use my laptop it's a total non-issue.

Panda Rin

Not even a question. I immediately get frustrated whenever I type on a membrane keyboard.

I use reds though, still fairly loud, but they're no blues.

Iced

Anyone have any o-ring recommendations? I believe this is the solution I am looking for, as I tend to bottom out quite a bit. I am using a CM Storm Quickfire Pro.

Edit: I'm also a filthy Canadian (sorry) so Canadian sites are appreciated!

Edit 2: Would these be okay? I'd have to wait a while since they're coming from Hong Kong, but the price is certainly right: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VHXHP6Q/

Iorv3th

Anyone have any o-ring recommendations? I believe this is the solution I am looking for, as I tend to bottom out quite a bit. I am using a CM Storm Quickfire Pro.

Edit: I'm also a filthy Canadian (sorry) so Canadian sites are appreciated!

Edit 2: Would these be okay? I'd have to wait a while since they're coming from Hong Kong, but the price is certainly right: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VHXHP6Q/

I have the same keyboard. I think i'm going with the ones in the quote above. Mine is pretty loud too.

Top Bottom