• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby Squeak Squad (DS) official website opens

Sad_Panda

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/akwj/

Nintendo opened the japanese Kirby Squeak Squad (titled Hoshi no Kirby Sanjô! Droche-dan in Japan) website, with a whole lot of small Flash gameplay vids.

Boxart :

ME0000735710_2.jpg

Jefklak

I hope (REALLY REALLY REALLY) they made the game longer than previous kirby games
they're done in ... what, 4 hours? :(
only bad ponit, kirby rocks

edit: cool you can mix powerups :)

is this a followup to Canvas Curse, or is it a traditional platformer?

Canvas Curse is the best example of what a DS game should be IMHO.

EDIT: i just went to the site. It looks like a GBA game...

Jefklak said:
what? this isn't from HAL?
Yoshi II comes in mind :lol artooooonn Edit: yes it is
well, it is HAL.. HAL and Flagship. but I think the other DS one was all HAL, and this kind of seems like a Amazing Mirror sequel (but yeah, I don't really know.. this is traditional kirby though. I want ball-kirby sequel)

Sad_Panda

Jefklak said:
I hope (REALLY REALLY REALLY) they made the game longer than previous kirby games
they're done in ... what, 4 hours? :(
only bad ponit, kirby rocks

I put 20+ hours in Canvas Curse...easy to finish, 100% completion is way harder though. Still lack the S rank medal in two of the bosses mini-games.

I wish Nintendo put some of CC gameplay elements in Squeak Squad - it looks great and all, but touch screen use seems like a regression. Aside from that - yeah, it's Kirby, so it's going to rock. Plus, it has 4-player mini-games this time !

Jefklak

if metaknights isn't in, it's not a kirby game :)
Yeah you can dump a lot of game hour in CanvasCurse if you're up for it, but I don't want to play the same level 10 times over again...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's Kirby....soo......day one.

Mr. TV Goggles said:
US and European boxart revealed:

me00007357102oa4.jpg

*sob*

God, it's true. NOA loves to make Kirby look angry to make him look more badass. It's ****ing stupid.

Mato

TheTrin said:

God, it's true. NOA loves to make Kirby look angry to make him look more badass. It's ****ing stupid.

That reminds me of what they do with Sonic, adding guns and cars and explosions because "that's what kids like to play with today".

Aeana

TheTrin said:

But Angry-Kirby is sooo cute!

Jiggy

If Yoshi's Island 2 doesn't take platformer of the year honors, this will. Only question is whether it'll be on par with Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, or whether they'll finally topple Kirby Super Star as the series' best.
Beautiful game, too, love those backgrounds.

Derps

Banned
WTH? Why did the quality of the 2D graphics take a step back from CC? Judging from the video on the site the sound quality also has taken a MAJOR hit. Flagship better realize this is not the GBA anymore and adjust the game accordingly. I'm still getting this though because this doesn't look like it got gimped by touchscreen controls.

Llyranor

I hope there are as many attacks per power as in Superstar, though I doubt it's likely :(

In any case, the main thing that would make go out and get this would be single-cart coop of some sort. Again, like Superstar.

Derps said:
WTH? Why did the quality of the 2D graphics take a step back from CC? Judging from the video on the site the sound quality also has taken a MAJOR hit. Flagship better realize this is not the GBA anymore and adjust the game accordingly. I'm still getting this though because this doesn't look like it got gimped by touchscreen controls.

Uh, dunno what videos you're looking at but I don't see any "step back" there. Everything looks crisp, clean & colourful with some gorgeous background work & nice, big detailed sprites, all clipping along quickly & smoothly. The section with the giant robotic boss was particularly impressive, but it all looks pretty damn good and easily on a par with Canvas Curse.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Cosmonaut X said:
Uh, dunno what videos you're looking at but I don't see any "step back" there. Everything looks crisp, clean & colourful with some gorgeous background work & nice, big detailed sprites, all clipping along quickly & smoothly. The section with the giant robotic boss was particularly impressive, but it all looks pretty damn good and easily on a par with Canvas Curse.
Ignore him. :lol

vala

Chris Michael said:
That claw thing is totally taken from Minish Cap (which Flagship also developed iirc).

Actually, Minish Cap was developed by Capcom Studio 1 and 2 with some of the planning done by Flagship. Now, Kirby AM was developed by Dimps and directed by Flagship.

billysea

Banned
Kirby Canvas Curse is the best DS game IMO, but looks like this new one will go back to the generic Kirby game again.

Llyranor

Canvas Curse is pretty awesome, but I'm pretty happy to see a traditional Kirby as well.

Does anyone who can read what's on the website see what's being said about possible multiplayer/coop?

Jiggy

Llyranor said:
A few new powers are up http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/akwj/powerup/index.html

Ninja and suplex are awesome.
Oh, man. I've waited ten years for the return of Suplex. <3
Nice to see Plasma back too.

NSider said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=s91P3-UpmfE

GREAT compilation of videos, all taken from the official website I think.

I'm officially hyped for this game!
Okay, just wow. Some really cool bosses and music tracks return, and that superhero-looking Kirby power seems to work like Jet from KSS, which can only be a good thing. I can't wait for this game.

Top Bottom