• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami code creator has died

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Kazuhisa Hashimoto – the aforementioned developer of the Famicom port of Gradius who created the code – has passed away.

it became a must-have cheat for games like Contra, which enjoyed incredible success during the NES era. Since that time, it has been used in numerous Konami (and non-Konami) titles, becoming the most famous cheat code of all time.

⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡B A [START]

in peace

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
RIP.

Also, the Konami Code didn't work in the PAL version of Contra (Probotector) :messenger_frowning_. We had to beat it legit.

iconmaster

Banned
RIP.

As good a thread as any to post this:

The START button is not part of the code.

The most solid proof that start is not part of the code is that you can add on extra button-presses after “A” but not anywhere else in the code.

Banned
I didn't want to be pedantic here but the start button is not part of the cheat code... that was just how you started the game after entering it.

the code is just ⬆ ⬆ ⬇ ⬇ ⬅ ➡ ⬅ ➡ B A
no start

(edit: I see someone was already pointing that out...)

@topic: RIP

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
First time hearing that code. It's cool. I remember something similar in MK: Ultimate Edition, which unlocks every character. I miss cheating in games(especially in fighting games).

I hope the guy who created "how do you turn this on" code is ok.

I want cheats codes back. If it weren't for them I never would've been able to enjoy certain games, or games post-completion. There are many types of cheat codes, and I think they all need to come back. If people want to cheat, allow them by disabling trophies, or achievements.

Top Bottom