• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kushner firm’s $285 million Deutsche Bank loan came just before Election Day

Tovarisc

One month before Election Day, Jared Kushner’s real estate company finalized a $285 million loan as part of a refinancing package for its property near Times Square in Manhattan.

The loan came at a critical moment. Kushner was playing a key role in the presidential campaign of his father-in-law, Donald Trump. The lender, Deutsche Bank, was negotiating to settle a federal mortgage fraud case and charges from New York state regulators that it aided a possible Russian money-laundering scheme. The cases were settled in December and January.

Now, Kushner’s association with Deutsche Bank is among a number of financial matters that could come under focus as his business activities are reviewed by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, who is examining Kushner as part of a broader investigation into possible Russian influence in the election.

The October deal illustrates the extent to which Kushner was balancing roles as a top adviser to Trump and a real estate company executive. After the election, Kushner juggled duties for the Trump transition team and his corporation as he prepared to move to the White House. The Washington Post has reported that investigators are probing Kushner’s separate December meetings with the Russian ambassador to the United States, Sergey Kislyak, and with Russian banker Sergey Gorkov, the head of Vnesheconombank, a state development bank.

The Deutsche Bank loan capped what Kushner Cos. viewed as a triumph: It had purchased four mostly empty retail floors of the former New York Times building in 2015, recruited tenants to fill the space and got the Deutsche Bank loan in a refinancing deal that gave Kushner’s company $74 million more than it paid for the property.
Deutsche Bank loans to Trump and his family members have come under scrutiny. As Trump’s biggest lender, the bank supplied funds to him when other banks balked at the risk. As of last year, Trump’s companies had about $364 million in outstanding debts to the bank.
Although Kushner divested some properties in an effort to address potential conflicts, he retains an interest in nearly 90 percent of his real estate properties, including the retail portion of the former New York Times headquarters, and holds personal debts and loan guarantees.
The Deutsche Bank loan was delivered just before the bank — which has long been under investigation by federal and state authorities — agreed to pay a $7.2 billion U.S. penalty in December for mortgage securities fraud in its packaging of residential mortgages. The bank also paid a $425 million New York state fine in January for failing to properly track large transfers from Russia.
and a lot more at https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?tid=ss_tw-amp&utm_term=.693301e4f08f

Then bonus round...

Russian official linked to South Florida biker club spent millions on Trump condos
But the tale of Igor Zorin offers a 21st-century twist with all the weirdness modern Miami has to offer: Russian cash, a motorcycle club named after Russia’s powerful special forces and a condo tower branded by Donald Trump.

Zorin is a Russian government official who has spent nearly $8 million on waterfront South Florida homes, hardly financially prudent given his bureaucrat’s salary of $75,000 per year. He runs a state-owned broadcasting company that, among other duties, operates sound systems for the annual military parade that sends columns of soldiers and tanks rumbling through Moscow’s Red Square.

Zorin has other Miami connections, too: His local business associate, Svyatoslav Mangushev, a Russian intelligence officer turned Miami real-estate investor, helped found a biker club called Spetsnaz M.C. Spetsnaz is a group of motorcycle-loving South Florida expatriates who named themselves after the Russian equivalent of Delta Force or Seal Team Six.

Spetsnaz members once asked for official recognition from Russia’s biggest biker gang, the Night Wolves, an infamous group that has strong ties to Russia’s security services. The Night Wolves played a role in the Ukrainian uprising, once had their flag flown in outer space by Russian cosmonauts and are under U.S. sanctions.
and more at http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article157640179.html

rjinaz

It's kind of amusing to me, any of these many, many, articles would be enough for the Republicans to start a crusade if it were a Democrat that was President, but, it's just another Russia connection to shrug off in Trump's America.

It's odd you say that, as parts of this came up in her February shows.

That Comey friend goes "tick tick tick", but alot of journos are putting lines from one dot here to one dot there, one after another.
I said it cause she's been following Deutsche Bank story lines. Actually probably the first time I heard the words Deutsche Bank

I said it cause she's been following Deutsche Bank story lines. Actually probably the first time I heard the words Deutsche Bank

Yeah, I'd catch an episode from time to time and there'd be little dot connections like these on there. Just off by themselves. Smoke and all that. On hers and other outlets.

So yeah, backing you up there cuz we're slowly getting a picture here.

Arttemis

So, the bank guilty of laundering Russian money deals out the day before the election a questionably large amount to the soon-to-be senior advisor to the president who is under investigation for colluding with Russia. Hmmm...

Oersted

So, the bank guilty of laundering Russian money deals out the day before the election a questionably large amount to the soon-to-be senior advisor to the president who is under investigation for colluding with Russia. Hmmm...

Deutsche Bank furthermore used the bank of Cyprus for the Russian money laundry, the very same bank Paul "Trump's campaign chief and working for Putin" Manafort got his money from. Who is vice-CEO of the Cyprus Bank? Wilbur Ross, the current United States Secretary of Commerce.

In short, nothing to see here.

Oh yeah, forgot I to mention that neither Manafort nor Kushner made these deals public?

snap0212

That would make some sense if people were expecting Trump to win, which nobody did. Well, aside from Ann Coulter who got mocked for saying he'd win as soon as he announced he'd be running for office.

Oersted

That would make some sense if people were expecting Trump to win, which nobody did. Well, aside from Ann Coulter who got mocked for saying he'd win as soon as he announced he'd be running for office.

Russia made their bets on Trump winning, actually. See Manafort.

Engell

Spetsnaz members once asked for official recognition from Russia's biggest biker gang, the Night Wolves, an infamous group that has strong ties to Russia's security services. The Night Wolves played a role in the Ukrainian uprising, once had their flag flown in outer space by Russian cosmonauts and are under U.S. sanctions.

Good thing that this criminal biker gang(Night Wolves) is in no way connected to Putin. /s
Putin-and-the-nigh_2838761c.jpg

BasicMath

It's news like this that make me question the media.

Because this just seems like a coincidence. Remember: Nobody thought Trump would win up to and including Election Day. This seems so artificial. Like a piece made just to remind the audience that everything's so shady.

Maybe I'm just misreading it or not getting it. It's kinda early in the morning.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's news like this that make me question the media.

Because this just seems like a coincidence. Remember: Nobody thought Trump would win up to and including Election Day. This seems so artificial. Like a piece made just to remind the audience that everything's so shady.

Maybe I'm just misreading it or not getting it. It's kinda early in the morning.

How are these two sentences at all related?

Top Bottom