• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larian Swen Vincke talks about what happened to "Soul for Frost Island". A cancelled original IP

Kadve

From a recent (last week) Eurogamer Interview (very interesting read). Also talks a little about the history of the company as well as putting the final nail the coffin for Divinity: Fallen Heroes. (relevant parts included)

> So, Divinity: Original Sin 1 comes out, it's successful, and it starts this new chapter for Larian. Now, after it comes out, you announced that you were making two games. One of them was Original Sin 2; what was the other one?

>
We were making two games... DOS2... What was the other game? We had many projects that we then cancelled. I have to remember. I don't remember. Was this after DOS1?

> Yeah. It was 2014

> I don't remember. It must have been something small that we thought was going to be bigger and then it didn't materialise. There's been a lot of those. I mean there's always little things that you try out, sometimes bigger.

> Any that you can talk about?

>
Well, Fallen Heroes. We announced that we closed it [put it on hold indefinitely]. That didn't work out. (Divinity: Fallen Heroes, a suspended project Swen Vincke confirms is dead for good.)

> Is that gone for good, then?

> Yeah, it's gone for good. And there's one that you never knew about - I can tell you that. Soul for Frost Island was the code name. It was a separate game based on DOS2. It got quite far in development.

> What did you do in it?

> It was DOS2 with new mechanics. I'm not going to tell you what the mechanics are because we're going to reuse them for something else at some point, but it was its own story, it was fairly far in advancement, and we killed it in favour of something else.

> It's very hard to make multiple games at the same time. It's the next big step essentially, figuring it out. We've tried it multiple times, we've failed multiple times. The funny thing is that we used to do it when we were doing work for hire, we did all our games at the same time, so it's not that we don't know how to do it. But who knows? We'll see if we're successful with the next one. We'll be a little bit more careful in announcing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom