• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LAT: In massive shake-up, Gov. Jerry Brown signs law breaking up California's scandal

Tripon

In a move that triggers the most dramatic shake-up of the California Board of Equalization in its 138-year history, Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation Tuesday that strips the embattled state tax collection agency of most of its powers and duties as officials scramble to create an entirely new department by July 1.

The board is the target of an investigation by the state Department of Justice, and its employees and members have been accused by auditors of mismanagement, including putting $350 million in sales taxes in the wrong accounts and improperly interfering with decisions to open field offices and transfer staff.

The governor signed a bill that pares the state board from an agency with 4,800 workers to one of 400 employees, shifting the other staff engaged in the collection of sales and excise taxes to a new California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.

The new department will be headed by a director appointed by the governor and requiring state Senate approval. Brown will also appoint a chief deputy and chief counsel.

“The recruitment is underway” for those positions, Batjer said, adding that “the transition will continue after July 1, obviously. Not every 'i' will be dotted and 't' crossed between now and July 1. We will do our mighty best to do the most important things before July 1.”

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...up-state-tax-agency-1498593946-htmlstory.html

Holy shit, we're talking about creating a brand new department and getting rid of one in 4 days.

Corrupt job protectionism strategies can emerge in administrative structures. If there exist rational, reasonable auditor's reports that demonstrate this, then a restructuring of this magnitude may absolutely be viable.

Tripon

The fact that they knew that this department had to be at least reorganized and instead are nuking it from orbit and starting a brand new department and trying to do it in 4 days.

BTW, this is the department that does tax collection. Just imagine if the federal government said the IRS is fucked, so it has to be shut down and a brand new department had to be created, and they did it in 4 days.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The fact that they knew that this department had to be at least reorganized and instead are nuking it from orbit and starting a brand new department and trying to do it in 4 days.

BTW, this is the department that does tax collection. Just imagine if the federal government said the IRS is fucked, so it has to be shut down and a brand new department had to be created, and they did it in 4 days.

sounds like most of the functions are just being transferred to a new office. the infrastructure doesnt go away

Tripon

You do not pay state income tax? The BOE mostly deals with sales taxes.

Whenever I had to help my parents with tax stuff, it was calling the BOE. Never had an issue with my state taxes. And yeah, I never had to pay state income tax personally.

numble

Whenever I had to help my parents with tax stuff, it was calling the BOE. Never had an issue with my state taxes.

You file your state income tax with the FTB. If your parents run a store or sell weed/alcohol, they are paying sales taxes to the BOE.

Top Bottom