• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party - The Playstation2

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I just picked up a PS2 for my birthday (Network adapter bundle) not too long ago, along with a few games. I'm very impressed so far with what it has to offer. I've been a Gamecube-only gamer so far this gen (not counting dreamcast or GBA). My principle interest in the system definitely stems from the MGS series. The first MGS remains in my top 5 games of all time and I completed the second one a little over a year ago (on my roommate's PS2), and loved nearly every second of it. With MGS3 right around the corner, I decided it was about time I picked one up for my own. Here are my impressions of some games I have accquired:

ATV Offroad Fury 2
Haven't even opened the shrink-wrap yet. Probably won't for a while.

DDRMax2
All I can say is. . .wow. I've been missing out on this series. This is the first time I've ever played DDR and it totally kicks my ass. One thing is though, it's HARD! I've been at it nonstop and I can barely do anything on standard. Weird thing is, I feel like I've pretty much mastered light mode. I hope that I haven't hit a roadblock for my DDR skills. I also got it so I would do some sort of exercise every once in a while. Sore legs all the way, baby :D

Devil May Cry
I've played this one before and had fun with it. EBGames had it for like $8 used so I couldn't resist. It's great so far, but I've only played up to the second level. I've got too many other games I've been playing, so this one has to take the backseat. Love the little action elements it throws in though, like how the screen shakes slightly when Dante does his power strike.

Final Fantasy X
I like this one so far, hopefully it will be the first FF game that I actually finish (unless you count Legends for the original GB). I was expecting more of a watch-the-game-instead-of-playing-it, and that's what I got. Blitzball was a bit frustrating at first, but not bad once I got the hang of it. Graphics are ok, nothing special.

ICO
This game is flat-out gorgeous. I feel like I'm playing a painting. I'm a Zelda fan at heart so I'm really liking the puzzle-solving nature of the game. I'm not one to usually dwell on graphics, but the look of ICO really adds to the enjoyment of the game, just like Wind Waker. I understand why they left out in-game music, but I still wish they had put some cool, relaxing tunes (like Chrono Trigger) in there to listen to while I'm running around.

Metal Gear Solid 2
Not much to be said about this game that hasn't been said before. I'm a MGS fan, so of course I'm going to be into it more than others may be. The story isn't that bad, although I'll admit that it had a few points that were just a little hokey ;)

Rez
My wonderful girlfriend bought me this for my birthday and it's awesome. It's best when I play it with the lights out and headphones on. It truly is a different video game experience altogether (and I don't take drugs). I'll be picking up an UNUSED trance vibrator real soon ;)

So to sum up, the PS2 is a great system and it complements my Gamecube extremely well. The end.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Justin Bailey said:
Rez
My wonderful girlfriend bought me this for my birthday and it's awesome. It's best when I play it with the lights out and headphones on. It truly is a different video game experience altogether (and I don't take drugs). I'll be picking up an UNUSED trance vibrator real soon ;)

Marry this girl. A gift of Rez is truly a wonderful thing.

shpankey

not an idiot
You've picked some great games. Ico and Devil May Cry are amazing titles, two of the best games this generation. Have fun bud!

yacobod

Banned
i picked up Ico at best buy the other day for $14.99

i havent played it yet though

i picked it up based largely on all the positive impressions of the game on these forums

sounds good though

Nice little group of games you have there. Rez really is amazing. You must pick up Sly Cooper! One of the best games in a long time. Not that you were looking for suggestions, but I think its a must have if you like platformers.

Top Bottom