• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party--Tiger Woods 2004

Prospero

... or, more accurately, TW2003 Expansion Disk.

EA made gestures toward making TW2004 more sim-like--at least now the game doesn't seem to hand out holes-in-one like Halloween candy. The levelling-up mechanic (that I thought was a last-minute fix to TW2003 to "balance" its gameplay) is still around. They implemented a putting grid, but did a half-assed job of it--the putting in the game is still a bizarre sort of Zen thing (though the caddy's advice is correct almost all the time, unlike the TW2003 caddy).

There's an actual PGA Tour Mode this time out, which is nice. And a bunch of new courses (though I haven't seen any of them yet).

Graphics are slightly better. The Game Face option is nice to play with, but ultimately it just calls attention to the fact that computers are still pretty bad at generating realistic human models on the fly. Game Face can't do skin well: characters with tanned or dark skin tend to have splotchy arms and legs, as if they have vitiligo. Hair is a problem, too: you can give the character a shaved head, but it looks like he tried to shave it himself without the help of a mirror, or like he just got out of chemotherapy.

Music--what the hell? A hodgepodge of licensed stuff, plus the TW2004 Rap, which makes the DK Rap sound like Public Enemy by comparison. Sound effects, on the other hand, are some of the best I've heard in a videogame.

I paid $29.99. Would I pay $50 for it if I had TW2003, or Mario Golf? No. In fact, if you were waiting on this to drop to $30, and you have either of the other GC golf games I listed above, I'd advise waiting for it to drop to $20.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I liked TW2004. There is so much to unlock in that game that the replayability factor is off the charts. I do wish there was a few cutscenes when you won a tournament or something. But I liked the game alot.

Prospero

I actually do like the pile of unlockables. (TW2003 had a lot of replayability as well.) Once I get my character's stats up to a reasonable ability, I'll probably spend most of my playtime with the PGA Tour.

Of course, I'm going out to get Mario Golf: Advance Tour today if I can find it, so maybe this weekend was the wrong time to start a new golf game (if the GBA Mario Golf is all it's cracked up to be).

Ristamar

Prospero said:
I paid $29.99. Would I pay $50 for it if I had TW2003, or Mario Golf? No. In fact, if you were waiting on this to drop to $30, and you have either of the other GC golf games I listed above, I'd advise waiting for it to drop to $20.

I do have TW2003 and MG:TT, and I have been waiting for TW2004 to hit $20... what the hell is taking so long? IIRC, TW2003 hit the $20 price mark much faster. *sigh*

Memles

Ristamar said:
I do have TW2003 and MG:TT, and I have been waiting for TW2004 to hit $20... what the hell is taking so long? IIRC, TW2003 hit the $20 price mark much faster. *sigh*

It did...I got it for $20 in April of last year.

Picking up Mario Golf Advance Tour this week, screw Tiger.

Joe

i actuallly just got this game too and love it. tons of stuff to unlock which keeps bringing me back. my biggest complaint is that its too easy. im owning the world tour and the pga tour with no problem.

Prospero

Memles said:
It did...I got it for $20 in April of last year.

Geez--Target is the only place I've seen any console version for less than $50, and only their GC version is discounted. Did you get it on PC?

Memles

Prospero said:
Geez--Target is the only place I've seen any console version for less than $50, and only their GC version is discounted. Did you get it on PC?
I was referring to 2003, answering your question...have seen 2004 no cheaper than $30.

Prospero

Ohhhh--okay. (I don't know why I was confused about that, actually.)

It does take too damn long for the price on EA games to drop, considering that everyone knows that there's going to be a new version released every year, with minimal changes.

bjork

:heads out to the tee:

:crowd falls to a hush:

YALL GON MAKE ME LOSE MY MIND UP IN HEAH UP IN HEAH

:hugs volume control:

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
bjork said:
:heads out to the tee:

:crowd falls to a hush:

YALL GON MAKE ME LOSE MY MIND UP IN HEAH UP IN HEAH

:hugs volume control:

Yeah, I had to go into the menu to turn off the in-game music. I had a good thing going with Tiger, made a ton of money, bought clothes, and then I put in the memory card and my PS2 no longer recognized it. I was just a little pissed. I lost all my progress!!! I refuse to start over.

Top Bottom