• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox scene releases. New XBMC & Amiga Emu

COCKLES

being watched
XboxMediaCenter (XBMC) 2004-06-19 build
>> A new CVS Compile of XboxMediaCenter(info) has been released.
What's new/fixed (since last CVS release on 2004-06-06):
* XviD 1.01 codec and FFmpeg are available for xvid decoding, check the nfo file for details.
* Chokeman's Project Mayhem skin (06-18 version, www.chokemaniac.net) is included.
* added: New option in XBoxMediaCenter.xml to specify external application for handling CDDA
* added: support for foldername.tbn files
* added: [ 905913 ] abilty to cancel startup of video/audiostreams.
* removed: ability to select audio resampling for video. never worked correctly and allmost allways caused stuttering.
* fixed: [ 975462 ] N/A weather image (wrong icon shown if weather is N/A)
* fixed: if mplayer fails to open a file, xbmc will crash after selecting a new file to play
* fixed: H: and I: was not present in filezilla server.xml (Used for memory card)
* fixed: [ 966026 ] Negative Text Offset does not work on 720p/1080i
* fixed: My Weather display issues (SF bug #945652)
* fixed: hopefully dvd playback on samsung drives
* fixed: SF bug[965436] boxilizer 2 crash
* fixed: Remembering the entered share doesn't work for DVD shares
* fixed: gif loading crashes. This means you can use the KML script again.
* fixed: [ 963099 ] Subtitles state forgotten between stacked items.
* fixed: [ 907968 ] Video.mp3.avi detected as music
* fixed: my music songs, adding a file to playlist with a dot in the name and hide extensions enabled cuts off everything behind the dot
* changed: reverted to using ffmpeg for decoding of xvid material
* changed: my music songs, when loading a directory with id3 enabled and reading takes more then 1.5 sec. a progress dialog is shown

Official Site: http://www.xboxmediacenter.de / http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc
Download binaries: n/a (built with XDK)
News-Source: xbins.org

WinUAEX v1
>> WinUAEX is an Amiga Emulator ported to XBox by Xport.
Main Features:
* Emulates Amiga
* Excellent compatibility - ported from WinUAE 0.8.27
* Lots of WinUAE customization options
* ... and all other features most Xport releases have! (see full list)

Official Site: http://xport.xbox-scene.com
Download: n/a (built with XDK)
News-Source: forums.xbox-scene.com and xbins.org

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Thanks for the update!

A question: Is it possible to add more locations to the "My Weather"? I only got England, Canada and the Netherlands to choose from. :/

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kiriku said:
Thanks for the update!

A question: Is it possible to add more locations to the "My Weather"? I only got England, Canada and the Netherlands to choose from. :/

You can change this in the settings.

impirius

This is semi-off-topic, but the new Avalaunch lets you download programs right on to your Xbox. Go to Settings->Network->Download, and you can get XBMC, dvd2xbox, and Config Magic. It downloads and extracts all the files automatically. What a wonderful thing.

----

Banned
How about a feature where XMBC automatically updates itself so you don't have to download and reinstall the new update every two weeks?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
---- said:
How about a feature where XMBC automatically updates itself so you don't have to download and reinstall the new update every two weeks?

That would require to download a prebuilt version done with XDK. Needless to say the developers of XBMC won't play with that.
1.0 should be out soon anyway.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kiriku said:
Thanks for the update!

Yup, I'm currently checking weather for Wellington NZ.

go to settings -> weather and beside the caxx0353 or whatever is undesired click the search, then put in your location. should find something near you if it found new zealand ok. awesome feature.

what dashboard does everyone use? Unleash X is great.

jedimike

I'm behind the times... still running XBMP and Evox dash. Just downloaded XBMC to try it out. One of these days I'll try some more dashboards.

I used Avalaunch, switched to UnleashX for a week or two, and now I'm back to Avalaunch. They're pretty similar. UnleashX has better skin support but for some reason it didn't play nice with Qwix. If it didn't lock up at the start, transfers would stop in the middle.

I might put UnleashX back as the dash and just run Avalaunch as an app when I need it. Then I'd have the best of both worlds.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
i cant get FTP in XBMC to work, i can connect to the Xbox but then it says that none of the directorys are accessible, like i dont have permission or something....it works fine in the dash.

Also, is there a button combo or something to reset the Xbox or go back to dashboard from XBMC?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ghost said:
i cant get FTP in XBMC to work, i can connect to the Xbox but then it says that none of the directorys are accessible, like i dont have permission or something....it works fine in the dash.

Also, is there a button combo or something to reset the Xbox or go back to dashboard from XBMC?

I always use the left-most button on the start menu in XBMC to reboot, and go back to the dashboard. Otherwise, I use L+R+Start+Back to reset the Xbox (although with some programs the screen just goes black and nothing happens).

Ghost said:

If you use the default skin, the icon at the top left that looks like a house (2nd from the left) boots directly back to the dash.

Ecrofirt

Let's not forget the slew of homebrew games that came out this past week or so.

I don't know if I should install the new XBMC yet. I've got it, but I just don't know if it's worth moving up from 06-03.

And I'm still using Evox for my dashboard. What should I move up to? Avalaunch, UnleashX? tHc?

Does anyone else use the M7 BIOS as opposed to 4983? I really like how I can customize the look of the Xbox startup with M7, so I think I may end up switching back to that.

i use 4981 mainly because of te costomization that 83 doesnt have...

and don't forget the new avalaunch, now with the cool screensaver logo, not to mention Kai and xr8d support!!!

Ecrofirt

Kai, hah.

I can't get the fucking thing to work!

I have no idea what to do. I've got Kai Evo 7 on my PC. I tried clicking Start Kai, and then it loads an AIM buddylist style window, but does nothing except say "searching for Kai Engine".

On my Xbox, I'm trying to use XBMC to play Halo, and I can't seem to get it right. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing wrong.

Ecrofirt said:
Kai, hah.

I can't get the fucking thing to work!

I have no idea what to do. I've got Kai Evo 7 on my PC. I tried clicking Start Kai, and then it loads an AIM buddylist style window, but does nothing except say "searching for Kai Engine".

On my Xbox, I'm trying to use XBMC to play Halo, and I can't seem to get it right. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing wrong.
try reading the FAQ first...

Ecrofirt

I did.

Turns out that even though the xml file said the Kai part wasn't implemented, I still had to put my username there.

Code:
<!-- NOTE THIS FEATURE IS COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED FOR THE TIME BEING !-->
  <xlink>
	<username></username>
	<password></password>
  </xlink>

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ecrofirt said:
And I'm still using Evox for my dashboard. What should I move up to? Avalaunch, UnleashX? tHc?

Evox is outdated I reckon, I prefer UnleashX over Avalaunch because it's skins and interface is better, I have Avalaunch on there to because of the built in ftp client, but I do most transfers from xbox to xbox from the pc using flashfxp. Also the copy disk and download gamesaves work a treat.

What is KAI?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
i need to upgrade my hard drive (8gigs isnt nearly enough, i realise this now) ive not really got much on there so i dont mind loosing it all, does it matter what hard drive i get? i read on Xboxscene that you need a bios upgrade for anything over 136gig, but i probably only want 100gig anyway.

Can i just buy any brand, stick it in the box, boot with the Slayer CD and install from there? or is there something else i need to do..

Ghost said:
i need to upgrade my hard drive (8gigs isnt nearly enough, i realise this now) ive not really got much on there so i dont mind loosing it all, does it matter what hard drive i get? i read on Xboxscene that you need a bios upgrade for anything over 136gig, but i probably only want 100gig anyway.

Can i just buy any brand, stick it in the box, boot with the Slayer CD and install from there? or is there something else i need to do..

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=137365

AFAIK, any drive will work but only some(well most) will "lock", allowing you to use live. For instance, I bought a new 120gb WD specifically for the Xbox but according to that post, the particular WD I got locks unreliably and sometimes there's data loss as a result. I put the WD in my PC instead and pulled a Maxtor from the PC and put it in the Xbox. I need to be able to lock the drive because I have Live. If you don't use live, then it shouldn't matter and you can stick whatever drive you want in there.

There should be two different bios per release. XXX.6 and XXX.67 The 6 indicates Partition F and the 7 indicates Partition G. You only need the XXX.67 if you're going to get a drive larger than 136. The rest of the space gets allocated to Partition G. I have a 120gb in there and it's plenty.

I'm not sure how to use Slayers so I don't know how that'll work. I just followed a tutoral at xbox-scene.com that explained how to edit the evox.ini file for the EvoX dash that would enable formatting the drive. Once it finished, I just sent the files I had from a backup I had done earlier and that was it.

Fowler

What's the deal with the new Dashboards like Avalaunch and UnleashX? In terms of actual functionality (ie: I couldn't care less about skins), what do they offer over EvoX?

Fowler said:
What's the deal with the new Dashboards like Avalaunch and UnleashX? In terms of actual functionality (ie: I couldn't care less about skins), what do they offer over EvoX?

Off the top of my head:

File Manager
Direct DVD game rip
Streaming Newsfeed
Boost mode with Qwix PC app
Direct Xbox to Xbox transfer
IRC client
Video preview of apps and games (UnleashX)
Zip file support (Both I think)
Rename file
Rename XBE
Automatic file name clipping
Automatic update (Avalaunch)
Online skin browser support (Avalaunch)

Errr...I know there's more but I can't think of specifics. I haven't used EvoX for a while so I really don't remember if it supports some of those or not. I just remember it being fairly bare bones compared to others that I've tried.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The Shadow said:
Off the top of my head:

Direct Xbox to Xbox transfer

can this be done with unleash x? Avalaunch has an ftp client built in, but I can't find one in unleashx, it's pretty much the only reason I keep avalaunch now as an app.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
While this thread is around -- if I'm in the market for a mod right now, what should I get? No soldering, please, I'm British...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
executer 2.3b lite plus, no soldering, piece of piss to install (even i can do it!)

I'll PM you a good place to shop ;)

Norse

my newsfeeds stop working on the 49.04 version of avalaunch. No idea why, everything looks to be setup fine. everything else regarding network works fine..and rss feeds work in XBMC as well. /shrug.

I liked the fading screensaver in the old avalaunch better...especially when using acam as desktop.

unleashx is out with a new version today(fathers day). Works great...fixed the game icons in some skins. Music plays from multiple dirs now as well(ripped location and 1 dir you specify).

oh, when using widescreen and 720p or 1080i mode in avalaunch, my MGS substance will not load. Works fine with unleashx in 1080i or 720p. another /shrug

catfish said:
can this be done with unleash x? Avalaunch has an ftp client built in, but I can't find one in unleashx, it's pretty much the only reason I keep avalaunch now as an app.

I just assumed that UnleashX could do Xbox to Xbox because the file manager looks nearly identical to Avalaunch with the split screen and all. I looked it up but I couldn't find it anywhere so I guess it doesn't. :(

Norse said:
my newsfeeds stop working on the 49.04 version of avalaunch. No idea why, everything looks to be setup fine. everything else regarding network works fine..and rss feeds work in XBMC as well. /shrug.

I liked the fading screensaver in the old avalaunch better...especially when using acam as desktop.

unleashx is out with a new version today(fathers day). Works great...fixed the game icons in some skins. Music plays from multiple dirs now as well(ripped location and 1 dir you specify).

oh, when using widescreen and 720p or 1080i mode in avalaunch, my MGS substance will not load. Works fine with unleashx in 1080i or 720p. another /shrug

I couldn't even use the ACAM desktop with the old version. If I turned it or APOD on, Avalaunch would lock up. I left it on for 15 minutes one time just to make sure it wasn't jut taking a long time to load. Downloading Qwix from the dash would lock it up too.

The new version seems to work much better. All the online skins work now but I don't really like the new screensaver myself. Don't care for that initial logo either.

Ecrofirt

I've just tried both Avalaunch and UnleashX.

Avalaunch keeps giving me a server denied error when I try to connect to IRC, and it won't go away. I've got my IP set up correctly and everything, but it keeps doing that. And the damn message won't stop popping up! Arrgh.

UnleashX is a very sleek system. I'll probably end up keeping this as my dash.

FightyF

Banned
XBMC's site has been down since...the beginning of time. Good to see it up. -edit- crap, I visited .com rather than .de ...*bangs head against desk repeatedly*

I'm gonna give it a read-through, I hope they did a bit more with the mp3 playback, I'd really like to be able to jump foward and back (within the track, I have hour long mixes). Play and Stop is the only functionality I've noticed.

Top Bottom