• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LEAK] Licensing Terms between Sony and Marvel for Wolverine exclusivity

What's funny is all these sales are banking on the Marvel films to push the awareness of these games. Yet, Disney has put Avengers on ice, Star Wars can't seem to figure out where the magic went on the big screen and Pixar is MIA. This is the same Disney that's suppose to make X-men popular? Disney's wiser move would be to first, look how to get people back to the big screen. Then start making real scripts for big releases again and stop fooling around with Disney+. Then maybe it'll be time to release X-men on the big screen. Until then don't bother...
Disney still can't decide if they want to rename "X-Men" to something else because you know wokeness. I have zero faith in Disney actually knowing what to do with the X-Men, and if I were Sony I would be nervous too because Disney has successfully run every significant franchise they own into the ground in less than a decade. The Spider-Man games keep selling and selling but right now Wolverine looks like a big gamble because there hasn't been any significant movement in the film franchise since 20th Century Fox got acquired by Disney. Sony is on the hook for $160M minimum spend to get Wolverine made and they do not have any recourse if it bombs and loses them that $160M.

Last edited:

Wulfer

Disney still can't decide if they want to rename "X-Men" to something else because you know wokeness. I have zero faith in Disney actually knowing what to do with the X-Men, and if I were Sony I would be nervous too because Disney has successfully run every significant franchise they own into the ground in less than a decade. The Spider-Man games keep selling and selling but right now Wolverine looks like a big gamble because there hasn't been any significant movement in the film franchise since 20th Century Fox got acquired by Disney.
What's the fine print say if Marvel changes the X-Men name? No way Sony did a deal for X-Men and Disney changes the name and it screws the marketing up. Disney won't be that dumb. Disney won't change the name of X-men because it won't be X-men anymore...

What's the fine print say if Marvel changes the X-Men name? No way Sony did a deal for X-Men and Disney changes the name and it screws the marketing up. Disney won't be that dumb. Disney won't change the name of X-men because it won't be X-men anymore...
You should not underestimate the current Disney, and neither should Sony.

I do legit wonder what happens if they rename the X-Men for MCU. My guess is if it happens, Sony will just rename the X-Men too. Current Sony is extremely woke and would probably go along with anything woke that Disney did TBH

Last edited:
Yeah pushing a lot of money into less popular ips would be disastrous. “lol” is right.
I mean Socom yea, but I wouldn't call Killzone "less popular". Than Marvel IP's? Sure, but not amongst Playstation first party.

I hope Microsoft makes CoD an exclusive so it forces Sony's hand to invest in it's own FPS and shooter market.

RedC

I mean Socom yea, but I wouldn't call Killzone "less popular". Than Marvel IP's? Sure, but not amongst Playstation first party.

I hope Microsoft makes CoD an exclusive so it forces Sony's hand to invest in it's own FPS and shooter market.
It's highly unlikely Microsoft will ever make CoD an exclusive. If anything, CoD will expand to more platforms. Microsoft has already committed to porting CoD to Switch.

CoD will be handled like Minecraft and rake in billions of dollars.

twilo99

This deal is pretty great for Marvel, and kind of rough for Sony. I'm starting to see why Microsoft turned Marvel down when they were approached first even though Microsoft is quite literally almost worth $2.8 trillion, which is more than 20 times what Sony is worth by market cap. It's not an exaggeration to say that Sony basically don't directly profit financially from the Marvel titles, rather the benefit to Sony is ensuring the Playstation platform's continued overall success by having these popular games exclusive to Playstation.

I bet Sony was able to push Marvel a little bit more for a better deal as well since they have a larger install base, and let’s not forget the movies..

The terms they gave Microsoft were likely more aggressive.

I wish in a perfect world, they were creating their own brand new IP with their own characters, stories, lore

It feels like such a waste of money, time and resources all for established charters and stories and lore that go back 60 years.
It could’ve all been used to create something brand new for the world to see.
I feel bad for insomniac having to make these comic book games, yeah maybe a new Rachet in 6 years time….

now it just feels like an assembly line.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Interesting, 4 games by 2035. We have seen two in the roadmap, Wolverine and X-Men. I wonder where they get two more games in 5 years.

This also makes me think about the other AAA Marvel games like GotG and Avengers, and how much they must have lost if they had similar licensing terms.

twilo99

It's highly unlikely Microsoft will ever make CoD an exclusive. If anything, CoD will expand to more platforms. Microsoft has already committed to porting CoD to Switch.

CoD will be handled like Minecraft and rake in billions of dollars.

Correct, no reason for them to take CoD away from PS and don’t forget that if Sony was to compete in the FPS space it’s not just CoD they are going up against..

RedC

Correct, no reason for them to take CoD away from PS and don’t forget that if Sony was to compete in the FPS space it’s not just CoD they are going up against..
Plus Microsoft has enough FPSs of their own that are exclusive or will be made exclusive like Halo, Doom, Wolfenstein, Hexen, etc...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You should not underestimate the current Disney, and neither should Sony.

I do legit wonder what happens if they rename the X-Men for MCU. My guess is if it happens, Sony will just rename the X-Men too. Current Sony is extremely woke and would probably go along with anything woke that Disney did TBH
X-People has a nice ring to it!

Painskiller

Yeah, in your face! I remember that Cyclops DLC for Marvel's Ultimate Alliance was Xbox 360 exclusive.
No love for MS for this! It’s a payback time, baby!

Last edited:
Top Bottom