• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets speculate about the future PS5’s VR Headset?

Truly immersive, lifelike VR WILL be bigger than television once it happens. People will pay thousands of dollars for it, but taking short cuts and cheaping our on the VR headset is going to have nowhere near the same level of appeal.

The PS5 will be significantly more powerful than the PS4. I think it would finally have the horsepower to do proper lifelike VR that’s a generation beyond anything on the market now thanks to foveated rendering. I hope all existing VR games get foveated rendered at 8k updates for the PS5 versions of the games so that the screen door effect disappears without taxing the gpu due to foveated rendering.

I would also want updated controllers released sometime nextgen with tactile sensory feedback and thermal actuators so that I can feel a cool breeze and so that people stop sweating when using VR.

We need this tech with thermal actuators along with underwear support as well over the course of the next gen
Not sweating excessively when using VR, instead feeling a cool breeze while using the headset, thanks to thermal actuators would be a killer feature.

Do you want wireless VR? Do you think it is technically possible to do a low lag, high fov, 4k OLED per eye VR headset wirelessly? Would it matter if you had to connect tactile motion controls to the console?

I want to hear from you. What do you think we will see with the PS5’s VR headset? And what are your dream specs that fix the limitations of the existing PSVR headsets?

The screen door effect, inaccuracies in motion controlls and low FoV destroyed the experience for me when I tried the demo. It didn’t feel like I was there because everything that I was not next to looked like a blurry mess, like I was underwater wearing goggles are something.

That was why I didnt end up buying PSVR even though I desperately wanted a console VR solution more than anything. I really want an updated version next gen so that I can finally hop onboard.

Honestly, PS4 and Xbox One X games look amazing as is. 4K immersive VR is the only reason I am even looking forward to next gen.

If they emphasize VR, they need to show that PS9 ad again along with the announcement for the VR2.

Last edited:
My dream would be a Vapor Cooled PS5 using a 3nm Zen 3+ 3Ghz 3x3 core CPU, 30GBs of 3D Stacked HBM3, a 3TB SSHD and 30 TFs of GPU Horsepower.

I want it to launch alongside an optional 4k per each eye with eye tracking, foveated rendering, OLED, 120fps wireless VR headset with a 180 degree FOV along with haptic gloves and haptic underwear with TENS based thermal actuators (so you feel a cool breeze when using VR rather than sweating) and for Ready Player One’s OASIS levels of gaming immersion and market domination.

They could simply buy Pimax since they already have a 8k VR headset with these specs (including a 200 degree fov) in the beta testing phase.

Here is a great article on haptic underwear... https://www.futuristspeaker.com/bus...-when-our-technologies-become-truly-wearable/

Lets include eye tracking (and foveated rendering) as a next gen goal as well thanks to this post
I'm surprised I'm apparently the only one to mention eye tracking. Imagine the gameplay improvements. Simply looking at something to aim instead of relying on lock-on systems. Greater immersion by having eye-to-eye contact with npcs.

I probably won't buy another vr-headset without eye tracking. My psvr will satisfy me till then.

Eye tracking and foveated rendering would also allow us to render lifelike 8k graphics on something no more powerful than the Xbox One X...

https://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-perceptually-based-foveated-rendering-research/amp/

Last edited:

wondermega

I mean, how many years out are we talking here? I am going to guess we would not see a new headset for at least 3 years from now (new headset and console hardware) - and that is if they decide to launch in the same window. I feel like the current setup is still very much considered an experiment by Sony (and I say this as a fan, and a consumer who has made an investment in a current pro/PSVR setup).

If they want to go all-in it would need to have wireless tracking like Hololens/WIndows mixed reality headsets (argh I hate typing that term), and of course be untethered. No more camera/optical tracking, no more glowy dildo bits. I'm imagining wands in general will be out, still waiting to see what the next controllers for Vive/Rift will be like but so far it sounds like they have these "knuckle controllers" coming (sensitive to the fingers, rather than merely the hand). No doubt Sony has their eye on something similar.

To be perfectly frank I feel like the jury is still out on how long HMDs, as we know them, will continue before they take on some drastically different shape, I suppose current gen PSVR has proven that they are acceptable enough "for now.."

Overall I am going to realistically surmise that PS5 will support the current headset & equipment out of the box, and whatever we get will be hobbled by the (increasingly aging) tech? Or if PSVR keeps picking up significant steam (don't see it happening) then they will make more of an effort to launch with a day-and-date brand new headset and sensor tech, or even make it an all-or-nothing setup? We are very likely still too early for such a gamble, but it would certainly be incredible. I 100% do not expect this however. Perhaps next generation after that..

Last edited:

Leonidas

30 TF PS5 and 4K per eye is a pipe dream IMO.

I want Sony to first make a wireless VR headset for PS4 based on the current model.

Then I want them to announce that they will continue to support the original model next generation with down-sampling and a new model sometime in the future with 4x the pixel count.

I expect PS5 to be more powerful than Xbox One X. But not outrageously so. I also expect it to be announced in 2019. Remember this system needs to retail for $399. There is only so far you can go for $399.

The PS5 VR will probably be a big upgrade over PS4 VR, but I am not sure it will be both wireless and 4k. I don't think the battery could handle it.

Last edited:

JimboJones

There gonna need to ditch the Move controllers.

I wonder if it would be better just to support the headsets available on PC, maybe keep the PS4 VR stuff around as a budget option.

Wireless please! It's a constant reminder that sometimes ruins immersion for me in games. The resolution would be nice if it could get an upgrade too but the biggest draw is going to be the games. Skyrim is something I can get lost in for hours upon hours. The next VR unit needs a few powerhouse games.

jadedm17

"I mean, how many years out are we talking here? I am going to guess we would not see a new headset for at least 3 years from now"

Yea, I mean... Dreaming and speculating is fun, but I'm just hoping my job won't be obsolete and I can afford games by the time the next Playstation and VR Headset release.

pachura

The biggest issue with PSVR is obviously its tracking (both controllers & the headset - the infamous drift). Although employing PS Moves was a very smart decision, PSVR2 will rather use inside-out tracking, and not in the visible light spectrum (IR, I guess).

The resolution will be bumped to 1440p - 1600p, keeping the full RGB subpixel arrangement and a single screen. They will not go with full 4K, as it would again result in lots of games with cartoony graphics instead of more realistic ones.

A glove controller? Too expensive, I guess, and it's not really that useful to track each finger separately. Something like Oculus Touch would already be a great improvement.

Wireless? I don't think the technology will be there. And I don't think that room-scale games are the Holy Grail of VR (you have to teleport anyway when walking from one virtual room to another, no?). I would already be happy with thinner, much more elastic version of the original cable.

Integrated headphones, possibly?

Shifty

4K+ is a crazy pipe dream right now, even at the top-end PC level of VR.

I can see a second-gen PSVR matching what we have now with the Vive or Rift in terms of optics and resolution. Sony's strap design is already top-tier so that'll either stay or be iterated on.

Maybe some sort of improved tracking system also, they can only string out the PS Eye / PS Move tech for so long before it becomes laughable in comparison to the rest of the hardware.

nowhat

So I've been toying around with a PSVR that I borrowed from a friend for about a week, my thoughts so far:
  • The resolution, while not as dreadful as I initially thought (while I feel RGB vs. PenTile has been overblown when it comes to mobile phones, I guess it can make a difference when your face is almost pressed to the screen), could use some improvement.
  • Tracking works fairly well, but could use some improvement too. Especially with the Moves - it's kind of disorienting to play Rush of Blood for a while, then take a break, and find your "hands" in a really awkward position when you return.
  • Speaking of the Moves, while it was a reasonable call to use them with PSVR, better VR controllers would definitely be in order. DS4 works surprisingly well with PSVR though.
  • The breakout box basically only does 3D audio and "un-VRing" the video to be shown on a TV, right? That should most definitely be built-in to the console. Not only because of more cables (which I hate), but the box has a fan in itself; and I don't know if my friend has kept his in a very dusty environment, but it is very much audible when not using the VR mode. As I use my PS4 frequently to watch YouTube/Netflix/etc., this is simply unacceptable.
  • As someone who almost gets PTSD from wires, wireless would be very nice. I'm just not sure the technology will be there come PS5.
  • Roomscale, eh, I personally don't see the point. I don't want it.
All in all, while a fun tech demo of sorts, it does feel like a first-gen product (well duh, it is a first gen product). I probably won't get one, at least not before the price drops here in EU. I have to say though, with RE7, I am tempted. As cliched as it sounds, it is a completely new game in VR. And oh boy what a game it is.

120v

i don't expect PSVR 2 to be much different from current PC headsets, actually. depends on what the ps5 is working with and while there are already huge leaps being made in the VR space you're still working within limited parameters with console

Hissing Sid

I’m not entirely convinced there will be a ‘new’ headset from Sony. I reckon they’ll perhaps tinker here and there with future hardware revisions of the existing headset and that’ll be our lot.

But if they do..

I love my PSVR warts and all. However....

A higher res screen. I actually don’t mind the current screen resolution and not once have I wanted to dig out my eyeballs with rusty spoons because of it, but a higher res screen would really help with resolving objects at distance.

A higher FOV. Again the current FOV bothers me not and after a couple of minutes I don’t even notice it anymore but hey, getting rid of the scuba mask can’t hurt.

An external camera. There’s been many a time that I’ve just wanted to glance at something in the room while paused and at present you have to bugger about taking the headset off to do so (Or nearly dislocate your neck tipping your head back trying to see out of the gap in the face-shield!). Being able to have a peek at reality without having to de-mask would be nice. And no, sliding the viewer forwards to make a bigger gap to look through is not the solution. I am not a Pez dispenser!

The camera. Oh my God the camera. For the love all that’s holy and sacred Sony, please, dump the bloody camera! It’s nice that they were able to keep costs down by re-using existing hardware for VR but the camera is a sub-optimal solution. It’s barely fit for purpose IMO and the tracking suffers for it. It’s also limiting the types of VR experiences that you can reliably obtain with the device. Same goes for the Moves.

Wireless would be nice but I understand that this is asking for a lot.

And removable head cushions so they can be washed more easily. First thing I bought after trying the PSVR for the first time? A bandana. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the headset would be Ming-City come summertime.

There’s probably more but that’s all I can think of for now.

Toodle pip!

Last edited:
So I've been toying around with a PSVR that I borrowed from a friend for about a week, my thoughts so far:
  • The resolution, while not as dreadful as I initially thought (while I feel RGB vs. PenTile has been overblown when it comes to mobile phones, I guess it can make a difference when your face is almost pressed to the screen), could use some improvement.
  • Tracking works fairly well, but could use some improvement too. Especially with the Moves - it's kind of disorienting to play Rush of Blood for a while, then take a break, and find your "hands" in a really awkward position when you return.
  • Speaking of the Moves, while it was a reasonable call to use them with PSVR, better VR controllers would definitely be in order. DS4 works surprisingly well with PSVR though.
  • The breakout box basically only does 3D audio and "un-VRing" the video to be shown on a TV, right? That should most definitely be built-in to the console. Not only because of more cables (which I hate), but the box has a fan in itself; and I don't know if my friend has kept his in a very dusty environment, but it is very much audible when not using the VR mode. As I use my PS4 frequently to watch YouTube/Netflix/etc., this is simply unacceptable.
  • As someone who almost gets PTSD from wires, wireless would be very nice. I'm just not sure the technology will be there come PS5.
  • Roomscale, eh, I personally don't see the point. I don't want it.
All in all, while a fun tech demo of sorts, it does feel like a first-gen product (well duh, it is a first gen product). I probably won't get one, at least not before the price drops here in EU. I have to say though, with RE7, I am tempted. As cliched as it sounds, it is a completely new game in VR. And oh boy what a game it is.

I agree with you. I completely forgot about pentile vs full RGB. I hope they continue full RGB but I’m not sure if anyone makes full RGB OLED displays. How much would it matter if it’s pentile?

The screen door effect, inaccuracies in motion controlls and low FoV destroyed the experience for me. It didn’t feel like I was there because everything looked like a blurry mess, like I was underwater wearing goggles are something.

That was why I didnt end up buying PSVR even though I desperately wanted a console VR solution more than anything. I would love an improved iteration next gen so that I can finally jump onboard.

akuda

I love the finger and foot tracking people have been able to achieve with current technology. I hope games will adopt that, especially games that aren't just chatrooms like VRchat.

Something like, you're playing FF18 on your PS5, it's about a half hour before everyone's supposed to be online to do progression, so you go to the FC house, put your PSVR 3.0 on and shoot the shit with everyone else until it's time to get going. Hand and foot tracking allows you to gesture naturally, allowing you to feel as though you're really in the same room with your guildmates. And then when it's time to go, you take it off and return to the game's normal controls.

Without going with unrealistic things that would be nice but not feasible, I think maybe shrinking the components or reworking them to be in the PS5 case itself would be nice. The systems are already setup for it, etc. It would be _nice_ to have the current one work with PS5 (maybe an adapter to plug it into whatever port it would use) until a PSVR2 comes out for it, but that seems like just as much of a pipe dream.

But at least then I could use HDR with the damned thing. That's my only true "I got burned" moment with the thing, so far.

Blam

The Pimax was made in a cave with a box of scraps. Sony could built a far better version with the same specs if they unleashed their engineering knowhow.
I guarantee they won't and they couldn't. Something like what OP wants is years away. You'd need 1080Ti performance on a console before getting 8K with high fov, and a good looking game.

nowhat

But at least then I could use HDR with the damned thing. That's my only true "I got burned" moment with the thing, so far.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention this. I know the newer SKU can do HDR passthrough; but the fact that they released a model that doesn't do it in the first place, especially with the base PS4 supporting HDR too, is just bizarre beyond belief.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention this. I know the newer SKU can do HDR passthrough; but the fact that they released a model that doesn't do it in the first place, especially with the base PS4 supporting HDR too, is just bizarre beyond belief.
It felt like a combination of cost-cutting in weird places and departments not talking to each other. It's entirely possible that HDR for the base PS4 was never planned but became a happy bonus, but that wouldn't explain them releasing it within weeks of the Pro.

The bigger kicker, to me, is that there's no way to upgrade the box for HDR other than just getting a whole new VR unit. I could trade in my existing one to Gamestop for a $75 credit towards a $200 new one, but $125 is too much of an upgrade cost (I honestly would have been fine if they wanted $50 for a new box). This is, truly, the only time I've felt affected by being an early adopter, even though I don't regret the purchase itself.

I guarantee they won't and they couldn't. Something like what OP wants is years away. You'd need 1080Ti performance on a console before getting 8K with high fov, and a good looking game.

The 1080Ti is a 11 TF card. The One X is already half way and it’s built on 14nm.

It’s very feasible for a next gen console built on 7nm to deliver 12TF+ performance. If they go with 5nm and 3nm, they could go much higher than 12TF as well.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My prediction is:

- Wireless.
- HTC Vive Roomscale like tracking using 2 wireless IR camera "what-evers" that come packed with the unit.
- New VR controller that retires the Move (two come packed in the unit).
- AR support,
- Comes with a "VR Space" virtual room designer thingy like both the Oculus and HTC Vive have right now.
- 4k res.
- the ability to play 1080p 2d games on variable sized screens in VR.
- will come out a few years after ps5 (likely 2022 or 2023)

Last edited:

JimboJones

The 1080Ti is a 11 TF card. The One X is already half way and it’s built on 14nm.

It’s very feasible for a next gen console built on 7nm to deliver 12TF+ performance. If they go with 5nm and 3nm, they could go much higher than 12TF as well.

Depends on when though, I'd really doubt something like that in the next two years at a reasonable price point.

Depends on when though, I'd really doubt something like that in the next two years at a reasonable price point.

Those cards should be out in the next year. So they are certainly doable in a 2020 console. MS for one will certainly not release a new Xbox until they can make the claim that the GPU is atleast twice as powerful as the One X. Otherwise no one would upgrade.

Kagero

After playing Knockout League this is what I want.
1. Wireless
2. New tracking system. The light ball thing is very dated and it's showing its limitations. I'm frequently dropping from view of the camera.
3. Resolution bump
4. Lighter unit

I guess a lot of this would depend on when the PS5 launches and whether the new headset launches alongside it.

I think any 2020 or later launch must feature a 4K headset at a minimum, ideally a 4K per eye headset like the Pimax.

A 2019 launch for the headset could probably get away with a 2.5K per eye headset.

KevinKeene

Banned
I'm surprised I'm apparently the only one to mention eye tracking. Imagine the gameplay improvements. Simply looking at something to aim instead of relying on lock-on systems. Greater immersion by having eye-to-eye contact with npcs.

I probably won't buy another vr-headset without eye tracking. My psvr will satisfy me till then.

Great point though you left out by far the biggest advantage of eye tracking, foveated rendering.

Foveated rendering would allow us to render lifelike 8k graphics on something no more powerful than the Xbox One X... https://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-perceptually-based-foveated-rendering-research/amp/

I work in VR and have all "main" commercial headsets.

So here are the things:
1. Ergonomics is the dumbest yet a huge problem of current VR headsets: if you think about it, most device you use everyday required less than 3 steps under 3 seconds to be operated. Push a button on your remove, unlock your phone and swipe, open you computer on log-in, put micro-wave and set time, push a blu-ray in your console etc...This is not the case of VR, and is a huge ergonomic problem on mid-long term use.

2. Optics is the most challenging part of VR: Augmenting the FOV to match the 220° is one challenge, matching the resolution density as the FOV widens is another, but the real problem is the way the eyes actually work. Not only do you have a 220° FOV but for a fixed viewpoint, it also turns out that the resolution density is also concentrated in your ambiguated (between you two eyes) focus area.

3. There's a few number of givens (in fact of conceptual/compulsory functionalities without which a VR headset is not really a thing): head and motion tracking for exemple, is running endlessly around with high-end headset still using external tracking poles, and mobile headset still having none. Inside-out tracking will probably be the best solution especially when integrated and developed for smartphones.

4. Wireless, while it should be a given for a head tethered device, doesn't seem so challenging yet beaming even HD images at -90fps- with minimum to no latency is complicated, since existing/prototype solution mostly use a Wifi.ad (60ghz channels) standard that provides great bandwidth but little stability. Oh and then battery if this is wireless.

5. Tethering, not to be confused with wireless, is the real current problematic limitation of headsets: the fact that you can plug or beam from any mobile or standalone VR headset to a PC, then a console, then another, limits the prospects of it's usage.

6. The second most challenging, in fact the largest and longest challenge it will have: VAR, Virtual Augmented Reality. Any interaction or visual device that complete occlude you from your surrounding, having you stumble around, and without see-through and interactive capabilities that actually required the exact same tracking, sensor, screen, control technologies is a conceptual non-sense.

So purely in terms of hardware, product design and conception, that's where we are.

I work in VR and have all "main" commercial headsets.

So here are the things:
1. Ergonomics is the dumbest yet a huge problem of current VR headsets: if you think about it, most device you use everyday required less than 3 steps under 3 seconds to be operated. Push a button on your remove, unlock your phone and swipe, open you computer on log-in, put micro-wave and set time, push a blu-ray in your console etc...This is not the case of VR, and is a huge ergonomic problem on mid-long term use.

2. Optics is the most challenging part of VR: Augmenting the FOV to match the 220° is one challenge, matching the resolution density as the FOV widens is another, but the real problem is the way the eyes actually work. Not only do you have a 220° FOV but for a fixed viewpoint, it also turns out that the resolution density is also concentrated in your ambiguated (between you two eyes) focus area.

3. There's a few number of givens (in fact of conceptual/compulsory functionalities without which a VR headset is not really a thing): head and motion tracking for exemple, is running endlessly around with high-end headset still using external tracking poles, and mobile headset still having none. Inside-out tracking will probably be the best solution especially when integrated and developed for smartphones.

4. Wireless, while it should be a given for a head tethered device, doesn't seem so challenging yet beaming even HD images at -90fps- with minimum to no latency is complicated, since existing/prototype solution mostly use a Wifi.ad (60ghz channels) standard that provides great bandwidth but little stability. Oh and then battery if this is wireless.

5. Tethering, not to be confused with wireless, is the real current problematic limitation of headsets: the fact that you can plug or beam from any mobile or standalone VR headset to a PC, then a console, then another, limits the prospects of it's usage.

6. The second most challenging, in fact the largest and longest challenge it will have: VAR, Virtual Augmented Reality. Any interaction or visual device that complete occlude you from your surrounding, having you stumble around, and without see-through and interactive capabilities that actually required the exact same tracking, sensor, screen, control technologies is a conceptual non-sense.

So purely in terms of hardware, product design and conception, that's where we are.

Excellent post.

I do think tactile feedback will be a game changer once they integrate thermal actuators into gloves.

Feeling a raindrop is not enough, you need to feel that sense of a cool breeze or a cold water on your hand to feel like you are actually experiencing rain.

KevinKeene

Banned
Excellent post.

I do think tactile feedback will be a game changer once they integrate thermal actuators into gloves.

Feeling a raindrop is not enough, you need to feel that sense of a cool breeze or a cold water on your hand to feel like you are actually experiencing rain.

Or they can use thermal actuators so I don't sweat like a swine anymore when using the headset.

Excellent post.

Thanks. That's actually more likely to be done with T.E.N.S (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation). Behind the fancy name is actually one of the most advanced but new field in medical consumer devices, in fact a TENS watch was released with a specific nausea reduction function for VR: https://www.reliefband.com/

T.E.N.S. techs can in fact be used to imply cold or hot sensation to the body, so it's most likely what'll be used.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was mentioned but isn't it reasonable to suspect PSVR will work with PS5 too? It's not powered on it's own it uses the 'system to process it's power'. So visually the improvements come from what it runs on like how the PS4 pro has better visuals with a patch.

My point being.... yeah they will probably make a better headset with improved FOV, better resolution, better pixel density, wireless, sleeker but I also don't think it means the PSVR 1.0 will become useless. The only way that happens is if Sony doesn't want it compatible with PS5, but if they do that it will hurt their userbase.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was mentioned but isn't it reasonable to suspect PSVR will work with PS5 too? It's not powered on it's own it uses the 'system to process it's power'. So visually the improvements come from what it runs on like how the PS4 pro has better visuals with a patch.

My point being.... yeah they will probably make a better headset with improved FOV, better resolution, better pixel density, wireless, sleeker but I also don't think it means the PSVR 1.0 will become useless. The only way that happens is if Sony doesn't want it compatible with PS5, but if they do that it will hurt their userbase.

Yes the current headset will almost certainly work with the PS5 as well. But I think it would be really stupid for Sony not to atleast announce a vastly superior headset when the PS5 releases that provides a far better experience.

VR will be a multi billion dollar industry once the immersion is improved just a bit more. It would be a shame if the PS5s ample horsepower is held back by a 1080p headset with a low FOV and poor motion tracking.

Yes the current headset will almost certainly work with the PS5 as well. But I think it would be really stupid for Sony not to atleast announce a vastly superior headset when the PS5 releases that provides a far better experience.

VR will be a multi billion dollar industry once the immersion is improved just a bit more. It would be a shame if the PS5s ample horsepower is held back by a 1080p headset with a low FOV and poor motion tracking.
I completely agree. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Ar¢tos

Can a single USB(c) port power the whole headset? Might be a single cable with 2 connectors, usbc +USB, or 2 USB to connect in the back.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
not wireless, not interested.
Next best thing is front usb c conector. but it will not hold the weight of whole cable too well

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So no wireless? Damn.
Yeah, maybe later down the line. This could be much cheaper and a thin long enough cables will work.

People can still play well with the current solution which is far messier. Having to connect the breakout box and lose HDR and HDMI 2.1 features caused me to keep PSVR on the PS4 Pro for now. Eliminating the need for it was a smart move.

Nico_D

Yeah, probably cheaper but maybe they couldn't get wireless transfer speeds right either, idk. I haven't used VR a lot, just a couple of times and i have had fun with it, great immersion at best - but still, when I'm thinking about VR, it doesn't come with an idea to be tethered to something. And knowing myself, I know I'm too conscious about the cable - where's the dog, am I stepping on the cable...

It not being wireless caused me to be not so interested in it. I'll see the end product when it arrives but for now, I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed.

Shmunter

images

Top Bottom