• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOL! A friend buys a CD, 10 minutes later he tosses it out the car window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Dice

Banned
I was at Best Buy with a few co-workers, and one of them buys the latest Bright Eyes CD. On the way back to work he pops it in, for the next 10 minutes we're all exposed to the most tripe and painfully bad music we've ever had the displeasure of listening to; then ejects it and tosses it out of the window.

Does anyone enjoy Bright Eyes' music in here? I'd really like to know it's appeal.

Lemurnator said:
Why are you allowed to make threads? I hate you.

You think that because all the "women" on this board have been exposed to be nothing but insecure men you suddenly rule the forum?

I wish you'd leave.

Macam

Banned
I was sampling some of Bright Eyes' stuff yesterday based off a recommendation from here and I didn't dig it whatsoever. For me, at least, I get some decidedly good electronic recommendations from here but alternative/rock/pop is an entirely different beast.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Incognito said:
You think that because all the "women" on this board have been exposed to be nothing but insecure men you suddenly rule the forum?

I wish you'd leave.

Really?
gafgurl1js.jpg

Lil' Dice

Banned
Macam said:
I was sampling some of Bright Eyes' stuff yesterday based off a recommendation from here and I didn't dig it whatsoever. For me, at least, I get some decidedly good electronic recommendations from here but alternative/rock/pop is an entirely different beast.

Apparently they/he released two CDs on the same day. One is electronic/rock/pop/whatever the other(the one my friend picked up) was some country/folk abomination.

nitewulf

Lil' Dice said:
Apparently they/he released two CDs on the same day. One is electronic/rock/pop/whatever the other(the one my friend picked up) was some country/folk abomination.
yeah. you cant really just jump into the neo folk stuff. i mean if you listen to our recommendations and just jump into someone like neko case or rilo kiley, coming off of GnR, Megadeth, STP (or whatever mainsteam rock/hip hop you are coming from)...you wont like it. you have to ease onto any new genre with the accessible stuff first. most of the singer songwriter/neo folk stuff isnt about the music anyway, the lyrics are more important.

Teddman

Ahahah! Was that the same guy I saw AvP with? :lol

I once had a friend do the same thing in high school with an Ice-T album called "The Classic Collection." Turned out it had a bunch of his early stuff that was really basic and not nearly as good as the likes of O.G. or Bodycount. About the fifth time he heard Ice scream out that he was "Cold dogg'n the wax" over a remedial beat, he hit eject and chucked that disc across the freeway!

Lil' Dice

Banned
belgurdo said:
I wish I had money to burn that I could destroy things I buy instead of returning them

well, teh CD was only $8, and Best Buy doesn't let you return opened media.
But i guess he does have $$ to burn, his father is a director.

Ahahah! Was that the same guy I saw AvP with?

You were at BB today? I wasn't him though, t'was another co-worker.

Zilch

Banned
I'll probably pick up one or both Bright Eyes albums on Thursday at BB.

Better than the shit you listen to, guaranteed.

Teddman

Lil' Dice said:
You were at BB today? I wasn't him though, t'was another co-worker.
Nah, I was just wondering if it was your buddy from E3 that I happened to see at the AvP screening.

What was your opinion on Bright Eyes, suck total?

Lil' Dice

Banned
Teddman said:
Nah, I was just wondering if it was your buddy from E3 that I happened to see at the AvP screening.

What was your opinion on Bright Eyes, suck total?

We went there so that the same guy could buy AvP on DVD. I've seen it once, and that was enough for me, maybe I'll catch the director's cut.

Bright Eyes is moody folk music sung by a guy who seems as if he's purposely trying to sing out of tune and completely out of tempo, a bizarro Modest Mouse if you will. I'm sure some will dig it, but not this kid who needs to go listen to some Stevie Wonder to cleanse his system.....

Lil' Dice said:
We went there so that the same guy could buy AvP on DVD. I've seen it once, and that was enough for me, maybe I'll catch the director's cut.

Bright Eyes is moody folk music sung by a guy who seems as if he's purposely trying to sing out of tune and completely out of tempo, a bizarro Modest Mouse if you will. I'm sure some will dig it, but not this kid who needs to go listen to some Stevie Wonder to cleanse his system.....

Why exactly did your friend purchase I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, anyways?

Connor Oberst (lead singer and brainchild behind Bright Eyes) is an acquired taste, one that I absolutely enjoy. In any event, the boy is one damn fine songwriter.

Lil' Dice

Banned
distantmantra said:
Why exactly did your friend purchase I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, anyways?

Connor Oberst (lead singer and brainchild behind Bright Eyes) is an acquired taste, one that I absolutely enjoy. In any event, the boy is one damn fine songwriter.

I think he bought the wrong CD, i'm pretty sure he indended to buy the pop/rock one...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning doesn't sound all that bad, though i can see how it'll annoy those who don't expect the Gram Parsons twang filtering through their speakers.

Flynn

Um.

Who buys records without at least hearing one or two songs from it?

We are on the Internet after all.

I have a friend that did the same exact thing. 5-6 years ago we used to make trips to Tower Records late at night to hunt for movies and stuff. He would always run around in the music section and find some cd he thought was amusing based on the cover (you know the old addage, kiddies) and so he bought something so horrible (can't even remember what it was)
and on the drive back flung the whole thing out the window :p

Macam

Banned
I initially resisted this very CD, but given it's dirt cheap price and further sampling on my part, I nabbed it today and while it's going to take a few rounds to sink in, it's growing on me. Notably, Lua feels painfully close to heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom