• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to build my first gaming PC within the next 2 months, need some help

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Hey guys, I'm looking into building my first gaming pc and I think I need a little help to make sure that I have everything that I need in my build. I am aiming to do some 1440p gaming on said PC, I have constructed a build, with some help, that fits within my budget:

Motherboard- ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboards

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012NH05UW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Graphics Card- Sapphire 11244-01-20G Radeon NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 DVI-D/HDMI with Back Plate (UEFI) Graphics Card

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DXHEAW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Processor- Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151 (BX80662I56600K)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012M8M7TY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fan for processor?? - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O65JXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mouse- HAVIT HV-MS672 Ergonomic Wired Mouse, 2400 DPI, 7 Soothing LED Colors, 6 Buttons [ 2016 Model ]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KKAQYXM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Keyboard- Masione Domineering LED USB Gaming Keyboard with 7 Adjustable Colorful Backlights

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0111ZC4OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wireless Adapter- TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket, Support Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GMPZ0A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RAM- Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) 240-Pin UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00/BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00
by Crucial

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WAGGUK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Operating System- Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit System Builder OEM | PC Disc

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSI7Y3U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Power Supply- EVGA 600B Bronze 100-B1-0600-KR Power Supply, 600W

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EON40CS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Click to open expanded view

Hard Drive- Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRNW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Case- Apevia X-SNIPER2-RD ATX Mid Tower PC Gaming Case with Red Tinted Side Window, Front USB3.0/Audio - Black/Red

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF9ZAQG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Please give me any critiques, suggestions, or additions. I'm not sure if I have everything necessary to have the gaming experience that I want, I tried to pick the best parts possible for my budget ($1200), my aim was 1440p 60 FPS or higher. Am I missing any parts? Am I spending too much in certain areas?

It comes up to about $1227 (including taxes)

Any suggestions? Tools that I might need to set things up? Is my case good? Help please!!

Thanks in advance

Also, here is the monitor that I plan to purchase and use for this build:

Monitor- Acer XG270HU omidpx 27-inch WQHD AMD FREESYNC (2560 x 1440) Widescreen Monitor

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRCLHYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Separate from the build price.

Also, I will be receiving an SSD from a friend so I don't need that for my projected build.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Just two quick thoughts,

Mobo supports DDR4 and you're going DDR3?

In the next 2 months we'll hopefully have more solid details on Pascal cards

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I feel like right now is the worst time to build a gaming PC that I can remember. Later this year we are going to get 14 nm CPUs and GPUs which is one of the biggest jumps and technology in the last six years. Any hardware you buy now is going to feel old in less than a year in my opinion.

Demise

I feel like right now is the worst time to build a gaming PC that I can remember. Later this year we are going to get 14 nm CPUs and GPUs which is one of the biggest jumps and technology in the last six years. Any hardware you buy now is going to feel old in less than a year in my opinion.

This, wait 6 months. The jump will be one of the biggest of the decade.

Whatever you do, don't go sli, stay away from it. It's the just a mountain of problems, always choose one unique graphical card.

If you can, avoid amd at any cost. The cards are good but the devs often shit on amd possessors. Choose nvidia as a safe bait.

OneUh8

Not sure it will feel old, but if you can. Wait out it could be very beneficial. If you have a current gen system, just game on that until we see what we going to get with the new gpus and cpus coming. Then make a decision. That's kinda what I am doing. I was going to do a whole build, but I'm just going to keep gaming on the ps4 and xbox one until we get more infor and prices on things, especially the new nvidia cards.

Don't get a Havit mouse. Get something actually good like a Logitech G series mouse, a Zowie, or a SteelSeries. The Fnatic Flick is a good option too.

Steel

Banned

It really is. Even if OP is planning on buying the same hardware, when the new hardware comes out it'll drop in price. Kinda bad timing. At least wait for Polaris.

Aren't the 14nm cards that they are releasing this year only notebook class cards or something? As in, the 1070/1060 and AMD equivalents won't use 14nm, or I'm remembering incorrectly?
Or was that only for HBM2?

Echoing the same opinion as others this is very much one of the worst times to build a PC. Everything seems to indicate that there is going to be a big jump in the performance of hardware before the end of the year on multiple fronts. Usually theres only one big update every year, but the way things have lined up CPUs, GPUs, and SSDs are going to see large gains. I've had the funds set aside to build a new rig since late January and I haven't because of this. Instead I just bought really cheap 960 to replace my 560.

Also don't go cheap on your M+KB your already dropping a grand get something that will last. You don't need a $100 mouse and $150 keyboard, but something nicer.

Yep wait at least a month till we have more information on the new graphic cards. On the other hand Skylake isn't going to get obsolete anytime soon so you could buy the rest except the GPU, or just get a temporary (low budget/used) one till Pascal/Polaris.

Umm I'm pretty sure skylake is 14 nm already. Gpus are the ones jumping to 14nm. Apparently kaby is supposed to drop next from intel and it will still be 14nm. We won't see cannonlake till 2017ish. Anyway operation, I'd wait for the gpus.

Oh shit I'm looking at building my first PC as well but if it's better to wait then maybe I should. Kinda wanted a rig to play Total War though.

low-G

Skylake is 14nm. CPU tech isn't going to have any amazing speed increase, period.

However, buying a high end GPU right now would be a bad idea.

FirmBizBws

Yea isn't that the point though? He can purchase everything else but the gpu.

Thanks to everyone for their help, so the concensus is that I am free to purchase everything else except for the GPU, correct?

When should I purchase the GPU? Will this be during the summer or in the fall?

Or should I just scrap everything and just wait?

FirmBizBws

Also, how is the motherboard? Would it work the the GPU anyway? Is the motherboard too expensive?

HariKari

Thanks to everyone for their help, so the concensus is that I am free to purchase everything else except for the GPU, correct?

Stuff like the RAM and CPU aren't super market sensitive, you can buy them now if you want. The days of massive performance leaps are over. A good case and PSU will last you multiple upgrades. Definitely wait for pascal, but also step up to the i7 if you can afford to wait and save a bit more. You want to go as big as possible on the key stuff. Going low to mid on some things will have you wanting to upgrade sooner.

pcpartpicker.com btw

Yep, that's quite safe and you could always get a low end GPU as a stop gap (like a GTX 950 for 120$ or a used one) if you wish and sell it later. We should have some info in April about the Pascal/Polaris.

napata

I would just wait if I were you, but it depends on what you have right now for gaming. If you have nothing from the current gen I can imagine waiting is difficult.

I think it's okay to go for a lower tier motherboard like the Z170-A PRO.

You should also be able to get w10 for much cheaper. I've seen W7 keys for around $20.

Invest the savings in a better GPU.

One last thing, that is one ugly and tacky case. It should go well with the mouse and keyboard.

FirmBizBws

Do yourself a favour and get proper mouse and keyboard instead of whatever those hideous things are.

Thats my biggest issue right now, I want something good but not at a big cost, I plan to get more high quality keyboards/mouses later on, the case I will likely keep for a long while. I'm not satisfied with the case I chose, however it does match the monitor and the price is fair.

I could certainly use some recommendations for all 3 :) , either for now (relatively comparable prices to what I chose) or for the future (christmas time when I plan to get better quality keyboards and mouses)

FirmBizBws

Just 8 GB of RAM? Seems kind of low for a new mid/high end build.

Do I really need more? I chose that amount of RAM and that CPU because I hear u don't get much by having the i7 or 16GB of RAM. Is that incorrect?

kromeo

With the rest of what you're buying I would be looking at 16gb ram, the price difference isn't actually that much

Quantum Break actually has 16gb in recommended specs, I'm guessing more games will follow

OneUh8

OP, here is an example of a build I am looking at doing. Give you an idea. I have been sitting on this waiting to see what the new GPU's are going to be and price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3VcZgs

Keep in mind this is an matx build. Just change to a ATX board and case if that suits you better.

FirmBizBws

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094682

PC building thread with lots of info and advice.

Thanks, ill take a look at it!

With the rest of what you're buying I would be looking at 16gb ram, the price difference isn't actually that much

Quantum Break actually has 16gb in recommended specs, I'm guessing more games will follow

Oh ok, so I'll add 16gb

OP, here is an example of a build I am looking at doing. Give you an idea. I have been sitting on this waiting to see what the new GPU's are going to be and price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3VcZgs

Keep in mind this is an matx build. Just change to a ATX board and case if that suits you better.

Thanks, i'm working on my pc part picker right now, this will be a good reference.

OneUh8

Thanks, ill take a look at it!

Oh ok, so I'll add 16gb

Thanks, i'm working on my pc part picker right now, this will be a good reference.

It is all personal preference, but for cases, look at Fractal Designs, Corsair, Phanteks and NZXT. All make good quality cases.

MaDKaT

Really liking my 390. Just built my rig about 6 weeks ago. Went with the 390 since it was on sale and I plan to update later this year or early next. Used PCPartspicker to get an idea but then sourced the parts on my own for cheaper.

gigabyte itx mobo
16GB ddr4
R9 390 / water cooled
250GB SSD
skylake 6600k + noctua cpu cooler
additional 120mm noctua fan
600w psu
crammed into a cougar QBX itx case

already had a 128GB m.2 SSD and 1TB hybrid HDD

usp84

I also wanted to build a new PC but all this talk about the new technology made me rethink and wait a few months.

The only thing that concerns me is that the cheapest of these new will cost something like 600$ and i won't be able to buy them anyway lol

FirmBizBws

I've been playing around with PC part picker today and I wanted to know if this is a more "future proof" build and whether I can expect to pick up this build for a little cheaper once the new wave of parts comes out (this pascal thing) or should I just completely forget about getting a GPU until then.

Better case this time too :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Soundtrack2chaos/saved/mdGrxr

BTW, I have price drop alerts on everything so I can purchase all the parts separately once they drop enough.

Polaris is out in a few months. Just wait. The only reason the consoles are doing iterations is because of the new gen in technology.

I also wanted to build a new PC but all this talk about the new technology made me rethink and wait a few months.

The only thing that concerns me is that the cheapest of these new will cost something like 600$ and i won't be able to buy them anyway lol

Why? The replacements are always priced similarly. PC cards usually come in three tiers. Mid gen or say the 390 equivalent will be around 300-350. Budget end around 100-200 and high end over 400 most likely.

FirmBizBws

Polaris is out in a few months. Just wait. The only reason the consoles are doing iterations is because of the new gen in technology.

Why? The replacements are always priced similarly. PC cards usually come in three tiers. Mid gen or say the 390 equivalent will be around 300-350. Budget end around 100-200 and high end over 400 most likely.

How much are the new GPUs expected to cost if you don't mind my asking? Will it pretty much be consistent with the pricing of the stuff thats currently out and considered mid/high end? Or possibly more?

Steel

Banned
How much are the new GPUs expected to cost if you don't mind my asking? Will it pretty much be consistent with the pricing of the stuff thats currently out and considered mid/high end? Or possibly more?

Possibly more, but the current stuff will be cheaper for it.

FirmBizBws

Possibly more, but the current stuff will be cheaper for it.

Oh ok, then i'm likely to purchase the same parts them, I'll go for the GTX980. Most of the stuff that I want to play are old games, rainbox 6 vegas, fall out new vegas, xcom, etc. I have a ps4 if I want to play more current stuff, I still plan to use it. The only big titles I plan on playing on the projected PC right now are Dark souls 3 and the new Deus Ex.

So I should be fine, right? I'm not really interested in spending a ton on a graphics card right now, $500 or lower is where I want to be for now, I can upgrade again a few years from now

collige

Banned
Oh ok, then i'm likely to purchase the same parts them, I'll go for the GTX980. Most of the stuff that I want to play are old games, rainbox 6 vegas, fall out new vegas, xcom, etc. I have a ps4 if I want to play more current stuff, I still plan to use it. The only big titles I plan on playing on the projected PC right now are Dark souls 3 and the new Deus Ex.

So I should be fine, right? I'm not really interested in spending a ton on a graphics card right now, $500 or lower is where I want to be for now, I can upgrade again a few years from now

If you're not planning on maxing out current gen games or doing VR, the 980 is probably overkill. The DS3 PC performance thread has some more info for that particular game.

pizzasqueeze

Neo Member
I always find it funny when people tell you to wait..it's not like the new tech isn't going to be premium $$$. Sure you can wait for the $1000 Pascal or play some games now with a $400 card.

Xyber

I always find it funny when people tell you to wait..it's not like the new tech isn't going to be premium $$$. Sure you can wait for the $1000 Pascal or play some games now with a $400 card.

None of the Pascal cards that will most likely be arriving around Computex at the end of May (going by the latest rumors) will cost anywhere near $1000 though. It will be the 970 and 980 replacements and priced about the same as what people are paying for those now.

More storage. 2tb is not much more expensive than 1tb. Alternatively keep the 1tb and get a 256gb SSD for a boot drive.

And do you really need the wireless card? If you can run with ethernet then you should.

Top Bottom