• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of The Fallen | Early Access Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
Streamers are already playing Lords of The Fallen.

• Some of these impressions are 1 Hour Long
  • There are also streamers playing the game.

Videos:

Fextra Life:
“I’ll just say this; if you are a Souls-fan, you’re gonna want to play the new Lords of the Fallen. You’re just gonna want to play it. It has all the things so far that I’ve seen, that makes Souls what it is”.

Reviewer Impressions

• All reviewers agreed that Hexworks studio turned out to have an excellent "soulslike", which fans of FromSoftware games should definitely like. According to bloggers, Lords of the Fallen will be a big hit if it keeps the pace of the preview version throughout the game.
  • Lords of the Fallen is similar to FromSoftware games in many ways, starting from the basic gameplay mechanics and bosses, ending with the way of storytelling. So, the characters in action-RPG also often behave mysteriously, speak in riddles and only give hints about what the main character needs to do. According to one of the reviewers, he liked this approach, as in the Dark Souls or Elden Ring series.
  • The game has a very high level limit.
  • The difficulty of Lords of the Fallen is comparable to games from the Dark Souls series, but it all depends on the specific enemy. So, it was not difficult to cope with some bosses, while others "had to sweat".
  • The game has ways to facilitate boss battles, for example, by summoning NPC helpers.
  • The game has heavy focus on parrying mechanics. If your character is strong enough, you can even parry enemies and bosses bare-handed.
  • You can be invaded by other players, if they kill you, a revenge mechanic will play where you can go hunt the player who killed you down.
  • The game has a New Game Plus with a changed world.
  • All reviewers agreed that in Lords of the Fallen it is very interesting to explore locations, moving between two worlds. Attentive players will be able to find many secrets, which will also help to get special rewards. Observers called the process of location research one of the main advantages of an action RPG.
  • Exploring the world of Lords of the Fallen is interesting, among other things, because the game has a lot of different biomes, the enemies in which are radically different.
  • There are no serious performance problems in Lords of the Fallen, but small slowdowns at the beginning of the passage can still occur. In addition, the frame rate may decrease after several hours of play, which indicates a possible memory leak. Restarting helps to solve this problem.
  • On a PC with a GeForce RTX 3080 Ti graphics card, the game worked with 100-150 fps at a resolution of 1440p and "high" graphics settings. In full-screen mode, the frame rate was higher than in windowless frameless mode.
  • The players encountered several minor bugs, but there were few of them and they all minimally affected the passage.
  • A Reviewer complained the game crashed twice on his PC

Lords of the Fallen (2023) has a total of 63 Trophies (1 Platinum, 0 Gold, 7 Silver, 55 Bronze). Below you can find the full Lords of the Fallen trophy list.

Lords of the Fallen Trophies​

Lords of the Fallen (2023) has a total of 63 Trophies (1 Platinum, 0 Gold, 7 Silver, 55 Bronze). Below you can find the full Lords of the Fallen trophy list.

Lord of The Fallen
trophy

Earn all trophies.

A Veil Lifted
trophy

Die in Axiom for the first time.

Lost and Found
trophy

Retrieve vigor lost upon death.

Weapon Collector
trophy

Collect all weapons.

Ironclad
trophy

Collect all armor pieces.

What Sights Contained Within
trophy

Collect all Umbral Eyes.

Trinket Collector
trophy

Collect all rings and pendants.

Ammunition Collector
trophy

Collect all ammo types.

Inferno Adept
trophy

Collect all Inferno spells.

Radiant Adept
trophy

Collect all Radiance spells.

Umbral Adept
trophy

Collect all Umbral spells.

Throwable Collector
trophy

Collect all throwables.

Gesture Collector
trophy

Collect all gestures.

Salvation in Blood
trophy

Fully upgrade the Sanguinarix.

Honed in Perfection
trophy

Fully upgrade a weapon.

Rune Novice
trophy

Place a rune in a socket for the first time.

Rune Master
trophy

Fully socket a 3-rune weapon or a shield.

Carving Out Victory
trophy

Fully upgrade the Umbral lamp.

Utmost Insight
trophy

Fully socket the Umbral lamp with Umbral Eyes.

Comrades
trophy

Beckon a co-op partner.

Shared Triumph
trophy

Defeat a boss alongside a co-op partner.

Vengeance for the Fallen
trophy

Avenge a fallen lampbearer.

No Mercy
trophy

Defeat another player in PVP.

Infernal Offerings
trophy

Donate a total of 10 Pilfered Coins.

Umbral Offerings
trophy

Donate a total of 10 Plucked Eyeballs.

Shades of Violence
trophy

Apply a tinct to a piece of gear.

Rise and Fall
trophy

Defeat Pieta, She of Blessed Renewal.

Together in Death
trophy

Defeat the Congregator of Flesh.

Burying the Past
trophy

Defeat the Hushed Saint.

Unwanted
trophy

Defeat the Spurned Progeny.

Unbroken to the End
trophy

Defeat the Unbroken Promise.

Wings of Grief
trophy

Defeat the Hollow Crow.

Twin Faces of Sin
trophy

Defeat Reinhold the Immured.

Judgement
trophy

Defeat Judge Cleric, the Radiant Sentinel.

Hunt’s End
trophy

Defeat the Lightreaper.

The King is Dead
trophy

Defeat the Sundered Monarch.

A Hunger Sated
trophy

Defeat Elianne the Starved.

Fallen
trophy

Defeat Adyr, the Bereft Exile.

None Shall be Spared
trophy

Defeat all bosses.

The Price of Knowledge
trophy

Exacter Dunmire gains the knowledge he seeks.

Part of the Divine
trophy

Damarose the Marked receives her divine reward.

Travels Resumed
trophy

Sparky is liberated.

Moving On
trophy

Byron finds a new purpose.

Hero Worship
trophy

Drustan’s faith in his brother remains steadfast.

Antana’s Legacy
trophy

The value of Andreas of Ebb’s friendship is made clear.

Faithful
trophy

Stomund, Captain of the Fidelis is greeted at the Empyrean.

Without Purpose
trophy

Thehk-Ihir leaves Mournstead.

A Queen’s Rest
trophy

Sophesia bestows a final favor.

The Last Step
trophy

The Iron Wayfarer’s journey finally ends.

Vengeful Reflection
trophy

An Umbral imprint of Isaac faces the Lightreaper.

Lord of the Risen
trophy

Reach the Adyr ending.

In Light we Walk
trophy

Reach the Radiant ending.

Back to the Void
trophy

Reach the Umbral ending.

A Shadow Dispelled
trophy

Defeat the Scarlet Shadow.

Essence of Death
trophy

Defeat an enemy with an Umbral finisher.

Thriving in Darkness
trophy

Use a Vesting Seed.

Seasoned
trophy

Reach Level 100.

Wayfarer
trophy

Visit all of the areas in the game.

The Past Shapes the Present
trophy

Offer Molhu the Bowl of Revelations.

Lingering Moments
trophy

View all Umbral stigmas.

A Rest Among the Dead
trophy

Reach the Skyrest Bridge interior.

A Trace of Venom
trophy

Kukajin concludes her business in Mournstead.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Wow this looks even better than I hoped.

Love to see them reaching out to some folks from the community for early feedback, like G9 world's top ranking souls pvp omegadouche. Gotta give it to him tho that's a solid mechanics breakdown vid.

I expect reviews in high 80s

Reactions: Isa

rubhen925

I had the chance to try out early access as well. Played 5 hours on PC version and around 3 hours on PS5 version. PC has some performance issues when you reach some areas. FPS drops are the most prominent. Loading issues when you rest at checkpoints as well. I had to play around with some settings and lower some stuff to get 4K 60fps on my 3090.
On PS5 make sure to use the latest patch as without it you will be playing and old ass build which looks nothing like what it should be. PS5 runs fine imo on performance mode, and does see some fps drops in between gameplay and cutscenes. Same loading screen stuff while resting at checkpoints. First souls game I've seen where you need a loading screen for a rest at a bonfire LOL.

The DLC class Dark Crusader was actually pretty op before patches. But not at release its been nerfed and somewhat about the same damage close to Wolf and Preacher classes. With some testing I found hybrid classes to be stronger than focusing your attributes to a single stat. You will need range eventually as things go on.

The running looks a bit wonky imo, and the parry system is just meh. You lose health even on parries, and sometimes take 3-4 parries on bosses to stun them. In the meantime if you mistime a single parry you lose a chunk of health that is non recoverable.... what kind of stupid system is this. Doesn't really encourage people to use the parry all that much. The worst part is the bosses usually close the distance while you try to start ranged combat. So all you're left with is mostly melee. So parries tend to be the best way to deal damage yet taking our health using that is kind of bs.

Here's some no commentary gameplay of PC and PS5 versions.

PC Gameplay of the first 2 hours:

PS5 Gameplay:

Full Early Access Preview Gameplay (Includes the first couple hours, and 5 bosses)

Dark Crusader DLC Class Gameplay (Can be unlocked by beating game with specific ending)

Last edited:

Salz01

I had the chance to try out early access as well. Played 5 hours on PC version and around 3 hours on PS5 version. PC has some performance issues when you reach some areas. FPS drops are the most prominent. Loading issues when you rest at checkpoints as well. I had to play around with some settings and lower some stuff to get 4K 60fps on my 3090.
On PS5 make sure to use the latest patch as without it you will be playing and old ass build which looks nothing like what it should be. PS5 runs fine imo on performance mode, and does see some fps drops in between gameplay and cutscenes. Same loading screen stuff while resting at checkpoints. First souls game I've seen where you need a loading screen for a rest at a bonfire LOL.

The DLC class Dark Crusader was actually pretty op before patches. But not at release its been nerfed and somewhat about the same damage close to Wolf and Preacher classes. With some testing I found hybrid classes to be stronger than focusing your attributes to a single stat. You will need range eventually as things go on.

The running looks a bit wonky imo, and the parry system is just meh. You lose health even on parries, and sometimes take 3-4 parries on bosses to stun them. In the meantime if you mistime a single parry you lose a chunk of health that is non recoverable.... what kind of stupid system is this. Doesn't really encourage people to use the parry all that much. The worst part is the bosses usually close the distance while you try to start ranged combat. So all you're left with is mostly melee. So parries tend to be the best way to deal damage yet taking our health using that is kind of bs.

PS5 Gameplay:

Nice impressions like always. Do you happen to have footage of quality mode on PS5? Does it look a whole lot better?

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Oh hell yesss!!

This and Meta Quest 3, Fall 2023 is so awesome this year. Rejoice!

Good game like these are rare, it would be insanity to spoil the game by watching live stream of it. I don't even watch the game trailers. My eyes are actually shut until the game is mine. I'm going in blind.

Jean Claude Van Damme Eye Contact GIF

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Isa

Dynasty8

I thought I was fatigued from Soulslikes, but then I played Lies of P and it was amazing. Brought me right back in. The early previews are looking good for LotF, but I'm still not convinced based on what I've seen. I really hope to be proven wrong here.

PS5 Gameplay:

Thanks for the PS5 footage! I expected the worse since the devs didn't really show any console gameplay up to this point, so I'm relieved to see that it appears to run mostly fine.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When's the review embargo lift on this one? I keep accidentally looking at reviews for the first game and feeling disappointed :messenger_tears_of_joy:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Looking good, but will be holding off on this as I'll be getting Spider Man 2 at launch.

Hopefully it turns out good and will be another welcomed game to my wishlist.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Are we ok with the absolutely shameless Souls/Elden-ripoff..?

..It sort of makes me nauseous at the same time I'm actually leaning towards being ok with it. Hope it's a good game, it's already in my wishlist.

Edit: To be fair, it has some unique mechanics added.

fextralife...*shudders*

Last edited:
Are we ok with the absolutely shameless Souls/Elden-ripoff..?

..It sort of makes me nauseous at the same time I'm actually leaning towards being ok with it. Hope it's a good game, it's already in my wishlist.

Edit: To be fair, it has some unique mechanics added.

fextralife...*shudders*
Lies of P turned out to be good. If anything these games will force Fromsoftware to step up and continue to improve.

Draugoth

Gold Member

PS5 Gameplay:

Full Early Access Preview Gameplay (Includes the first couple hours, and 5 bosses)

Do you think it's worth getting?

rubhen925

Do you think it's worth getting?
it's a souls game. Sure there are some issues but the game is a competent souls clone with some new additions and mechanics. I'm a sucker for souls type games so I would recommend easy. It's a game made to punish people and most people will enjoy getting dicked by it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The issues that i see are mostly performance wise. The game tends to tank fps after continuous play. Like 2 plus hours and fps starts to mess up. Seems like a memory leak on both PC and console. After restarting game, they go away. but until they fix that i suggest restarting game every 2 hours for best stability.

Other than that the game looks nice, plays fine, and has a ton of content. Easy recommendation.

Draugoth

Gold Member
it's a souls game. Sure there are some issues but the game is a competent souls clone with some new additions and mechanics. I'm a sucker for souls type games so I would recommend easy. It's a game made to punish people and most people will enjoy getting dicked by it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The issues that i see are mostly performance wise. The game tends to tank fps after continuous play. Like 2 plus hours and fps starts to mess up. Seems like a memory leak on both PC and console. After restarting game, they go away. but until they fix that i suggest restarting game every 2 hours for best stability.

Other than that the game looks nice, plays fine, and has a ton of content. Easy recommendation.

I will wait for the reviews for a final decision. If the game is good i will grab it alongside Lies of P.

Top Bottom