• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTG: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

So I finally beat this a little while ago. There are a good number of things I believe were done well in this game, but I felt overall disappointed. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a beautiful game. The cel-shaded cartoony art style is gorgeous with the enhanced graphics and this link seems the most expressive out of all of them. There are no bugs and glitches to be found if you play the game normally. The hit detection is fine, the collision is fine, and the sound effects are used appropriately.
2913124-4278741056-wiiu_.jpg
I also find the sailing to be just alright. I think they're could've been a bit more to do out on sea. For the things I dislike I find them to be pretty big. The first was in the beginning of the game after completing the first dungeon I went back to the town as someone on gaf suggested I get the fast sail first. That was an annoying feat in itself, but it was once after I got it when the real issue occurred. Now with my enhanced sail I decide to go the forest dungeon, but every time I attempted to leave from the island town I kept getting stopped with my boat telling me I can't go this way yet. I was stuck for a couple days wondering why the game is preventing me from beating it. I am heading in the direction that's marked on the map. I really started to think Nintendo put in a wall preventing you from actually beating the game. When I was about to give up on day 3 I thought I would give it one last chance and see if I forgot to do something at Dragon Roost. I didn't and left and this time I wasn't turned around. So that was extremely stupid. I could only go there if I left directly from Dragon and couldn't cut across from the town.

The other thing that bothered me was the Triforce Quest and I won't go into all that again as I made a thread just about that. Aside from those issues I found the dungeons to be just okay. There were a few neat segments in a few of them, but overall I didn't find them as enjoyable as all the other Zeldas I've played. I am also vastly disappointed in the game's soundtrack. There wasn't any memorable tracks in the game for me other than the end credits theme. Koji Kondo must not have composed this for this to be so underwhelming. On a second playthrough I won't have the trouble I did going to second dungeon, but I really don't want to deal with the Triforce Quest again. I'm not sure if I'll ever replay this.

5.5/10.

Raysoul

Wind Waker's music is good wth are you talking about. The sailing theme is as memorable as the Zelda Overworld theme.

Jarnet87

I bought Wind Waker HD super late, like a month before they did the Switch presentation and started taking pre-orders. Traded it in with my system before finishing to get the bonus for the pre-order. I wouldn't mind seeing it pop up on Switch at that Nintendo Select price point of $20, otherwise I would pass.

Esque7

Wind Waker arguably has the best soundtrack in the series. I've never heard of someone having your very bad, horrible, terrible opinion.

mindsale

It's got the best opening 8 hours of any Zelda game. Absolutely frontloads the player with items. The Remaster is breathtakingly beautiful and streamlines both sailing and the Triforce fetch-quest. Awesome game.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I really love Wind Waker, but it is so hard to replay because of the Forsaken Fortress. It's the first dungeon and it's so tedious, it's hard to keep going after that. I've tried several times over the years.

i don't know the 5.5/10 feels pretty rational and not baity at all.
It's not, that's how I feel.

yeah but you never said "bad" lol

come on

Nothing I said was attributed to bad qualities: music that feels out of place with the current scene or environment, irritating to listen to, or is simply just composed badly. I said the same thing in like half of my LTTGs, but I don't know why this is the one that's getting specifically targeted. I just had higher expectations considering a Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask.

I really love Wind Waker, but it is so hard to replay because of the Forsaken Fortress. It's the first dungeon and it's so tedious, it's hard to keep going after that. I've tried several times over the years.
Really? I found it to be fine as long as I never got caught and thrown back at the beginning, but I can see your viewpoint. Like I said earlier I think all of the dungeons never amount to the ones I played before which were: A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Oracle of Seasons.

Neptonic

It's not, that's how I feel.

Alright OP you don't have to like the game, whatever.

But saying that the music is "composed badly" is plain insulting. Sure Koji Kondo wasn't sound director for the game, but he has stated that it is his favorite game that he wasn't director on. And he still composed tracks for it.

Wind Waker's score is adventure distilled into music. It has a Disney like magic to it that never gets old. And the leitmotifs and call backs to previous games soundtracks are subtle and give me chills. It's the music is just so good.

But saying that the music is "composed badly" is plain insulting. Sure Koji Kondo wasn't sound director for the game, but he has stated that it is his favorite game that he wasn't director on. And he still composed tracks for it.

Wind Waker's score is adventure distilled into music. It has a Disney like magic to it that never gets old. And the leitmotifs and call backs to previous games soundtracks are subtle and give me chills. It's the music is just so good.

Again I never said it was bad.

hatchx

Banned
I also find the sailing to be just alright. I think they're could've been a bit more to do out on sea. For the things I dislike I find them to be pretty big. The first was in the beginning of the game after completing the first dungeon I went back to the town as someone on gaf suggested I get the fast sail first. That was an annoying feat in itself, but it was once after I got it when the real issue occurred. Now with my enhanced sail I decide to go the forest dungeon, but every time I attempted to leave from the island town I kept getting stopped with my boat telling me I can't go this way yet. I was stuck for a couple days wondering why the game is preventing me from beating it. I am heading in the direction that's marked on the map. I really started to think Nintendo put in a wall preventing you from actually beating the game. When I was about to give up on day 3 I thought I would give it one last chance and see if I forgot to do something at Dragon Roost. I didn't and left and this time I wasn't turned around. So that was extremely stupid. I could only go there if I left directly from Dragon and couldn't cut across from the town.

That sounds like some sort of bug of sequence-break glitch.

I agree though, The Wind Waker is a sub-part game, but mostly because it's linear, barren, easy, and in many ways half-baked (literally).

But boy does it have a few incredible moments. First entering the temple of time, the end battle with Gannon, and hell, a couple of scattered moments here-and-there in the dungeons and character interactions. It's got it's moments.

7/10 for me.

You tryna revive Objective Game Reviews right here?

Well after trying to make my own video games and playing a few obscure Japanese games with a lot of technical issues I came to notice the amount of effort it takes to make a game run smooth and work properly, but since all of the games I play aside from those 3 do the hit-detection and all that well I have to lean more to the subjective aspects, otherwise every game I would review would get the same score.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Wind Waker HD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wind Waker

With that said, it's still one of my least favorite Legend of Zelda games. The swift sail was a godsend, but I still hated all of the time spent sailing from one end of the map to the other.

It's my least favorite 3D Zelda. I loved the art style but the game was just too easy and I have never been a fan of sea exploration. It's still a great game, though. Just doesn't have a lasting impression on me.

Clefargle

Yeah, what does "composed badly" even mean? Like the harmony is off, or the time signatures are incorrect?

I'm pretty mixed on WW. It's not a bad game, but the mediocre dungeons among other things makes it one of my least favorite 3D Zeldas.

Decent story though. It handles Ganondorf in a way that's pitiable and consistent with how he's depicted in other games.

psyfi

Banned
I almost always agree with peoples' complaints about WW, yet somehow I still love it. It was my favorite 3D Zelda till BOTW dethroned it. :)

you seem to be responding to criticism well
Nah, it's just incorrect information. Even in the post he quoted I explained what I meant, but he just ignored it.

Yeah, what does "composed badly" even mean? Like the harmony is off, or the time signatures are incorrect?
Yes, in addition to sound quality, but like that guy you might need to read the post again I was quoting him from.

Also, Wind Waker is my favorite 3D Zelda:

- Best Link, by far -- actual personality, very expressive, not boring like the other Links
- Charming side characters... from fun Aryll, to super sweet grandma, to sassy Tetra, to that little kid running around with boogers, etc etc.
- probably my favorite Zelda story so far, especially the
sunken ruins of Hyrule
- Best music. OP, I heard Wind Waker being accused of many things... But never of bad music. You clowning, dawg.
- There's a lot of hyperbole when it comes to the Triforce Quest. I didn't have an issue with it. You sail, you solve puzzles, you find stuff.
- Sailing is almost therapeutic in a way. And with the fast sail, getting places is not an issue, you're there quickly. The only fault I can find here is that there isn't enough stuff to do out in the sea.
- Dungeons. I don't know what to say other than I didn't have a problem with them. I also don't want a million of them just for the sake of it

kunonabi

It looks nice and has a ton of charm but I never found it all that much fun to play with the gc version practically bring unplayable for me. I liked PH much better to be honest.

tanuki

First half of the game is a solid 9/10, second half is a 6/10, so it evens out to a 7.5. That first half is magical though.

LordKasual

Banned
I maintain that Zelda has never had a particularly "amazing" soundtracks, ever. A few decent sounding / memorable songs, but nothing to write home about in the scope of videogame OSTs

but Wind Waker absolutely came the closest so yeah OP should take bad opinion medicine

Top Bottom