• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Castlevania

So I played through a good chunk of the Castlevania series recently. I first played the original game years back, but I never really gave the rest of the series a thought until about a month ago, when I started to binge on it - and I figured I'd talk about the series here.

FDhGU3O.png

The first game is still probably one of the best in the series. It really is a fantastically-paced game with consistently great level design and enemy placement. It has great bosses (Frankenstein, Death, and Dracula are all extremely fun - and I'd argue Dracula was never as interesting to fight in the later games as he was in this one). The controls are excellent, constantly pushing you to evaluate your situation and plan your moves ahead of time, and the game is balanced well in that most of the subweapons have their uses (the dagger being largely useless and the holy water breaking most of the bosses are certainly weak spots, though). I think what really makes the subweapon system are the double and triple shot upgrades that reward you for sticking with one weapon for a decent amount of time instead of constantly switching around, though - that really forces you to learn each weapon well and work out what will work the best in each area. If you try to go for something like a no-continue run, routing out your weapon pickups becomes a big deal, and I think at that point the game truly shines.

I think it's worth mentioning that the game nails a "sense of place" better than the majority of its successors, which is pretty impressive considering that it's a NES game released in 1986. The way each level logically flows into the next, with the game's entire environment feeling like it makes up a fairly cohesive castle, is really something and adds an extra bit of "oomph" to the game - since the game doesn't feel kind of disjointed like most of the later ones do (and really, like a huge amount of action-platformers do - not that it's really a bad thing though) makes it all the more satisfying to bring the castle down in the end. Of course, the environmental art and music are also fantastic (both of these things are true for pretty much all of the sequels though - especially the music), which does a lot for the game. Castlevania is definitely a top-class platformer and one that is difficult to praise too highly, really.

Castlevania_II_-_Simon%2527s_Quest_%2528NES%2529_02.png

The second game.... well, I don't have as much praise to lavish on this one, of course. It has some okay ideas; I guess it was interesting to try and make a big adventure game out of Castlevania, and the game does a decent job at creating a spooky atmosphere, but who cares about intent. The important thing is that the game is boring as shit - you spend most of your time walking back and forth across empty fields whacking weak, uninteresting enemies placed with no thought or care whatsoever (a stark contrast to the first game's demanding and focused stage designs). The mansions are mildly more interesting than the fields but ultimately they end up looking pretty pathetic next to the first game's levels, and the fact that the mansions use the exact same enemy types all the way through the game makes them feel incredibly repetitive. And the less said about the boss fights, the better.

I will admit though - although I didn't go out of my way to seek out guides while playing, I already knew what to do with the blue and red crystals before starting the game, so I missed out on the experience of being stumped and having to puzzle out how to use them. That said, I don't think that harmed my experience too much, since it just served to make the game's runtime mercifully shorter. I won't absolutely rip into Castlevania 2 and call it a bad game (it at least controls fairly well, I suppose, and it has solid music and graphics) but it's definitely a mediocre one.

3Xc56Wt.png

Castlevania 3 is a great return to form. I'm a huge sucker for distinct extra characters in action games, so I really appreciate the partner characters even if they aren't particularly well-balanced with each other - I especially like Grant, whose great mobility totally changes the way you look at every level you bring him into without breaking the game too hard. (Sypha is fun too, but ultimately her contribution is just trivializing some bosses, so I don't like her quite as much.) It's unfortunate that Alucard brings nothing to the table aside from giving you a safety net against pits (and letting you trivialize certain platforming segments in a way even Grant can't) though.

The branching paths are also cool, and add a good deal of replayability since - for the most part - the paths are equally fun (I say for the most part because really, fuck those falling block levels on the bottommost path). That said though, I probably like the first game a little more than the third in the end. The third game is certainly a much bigger game, but it suffers a tiny bit for it - the levels and bosses are somewhat inconsistent in quality (again, compare the tedious falling block level to, say, the penultimate stage - although to be fair, that stage probably is cooler than any single level in the first game), and the levels have a tendency to feel overlong - just look at the strangely stretched-out first stage and contrast it with the simple but appropriately brief first stage of the original. I think the multiple characters and paths do a decent job of covering for that weakness, though. Also, having played the US version of the game, it seems that the difficulty balance in that version is mildly out of whack. It's not imbalanced to the point that it damages the game or makes it into an extreme challenge, but it definitely doesn't feel like the last two levels were built around the player character dying in four hits. Anyway though, 3 is certainly a great game. I don't like it quite as much as 1 but there isn't a sizeable gap in quality between the two.

wTF8CZ6.png

Super Castlevania IV is pretty good. I really have to give praise to the darker, more ambient music - it creates a mood that is hugely different from any of the other games, and although I can't say I like that quite as much, it's definitely a nice change of pace. That atmosphere is probably the game's most memorable asset, really - who can forget walking into Dracula's room with that creepy music track playing as the torches light one-by-one in front of you, and then having that upbeat stage 1 theme kick in once you've finally managed to whittle his health down most of the way?

But I have to say I think this game is probably the weakest of the linear Castlevanias I've played. Although the game's slow pace (it doesn't really feel like the game starts until you enter Dracula's castle - which is something like six stages into the game) goes a long way towards supporting its gloomy atmosphere, it ultimately just serves to detract from the game as an action game, making it less immediately replayable than most of the other titles. The bosses are pretty much all uninteresting and can be killed just by walking up to them and whipping them to death (the only particularly interesting ones being the very last ones), and yeah, the levels themselves really suffer because of the huge and freely-controllable whip. It's all well and good to give the player more control - but that the game designers decided not to balance the game around it, and built their levels and placed their enemies as though the player could only whip left and right hurts the game a ton. As a result of that the game lacks the tactical encounters of 1 and 3 and doesn't really do anything substantial to make up for it (like several of the later Castlevanias did). I also have to say I don't like the weird dangly whip thing much, since it makes it too easy to swat enemy projectiles out of the air. It's definitely a worthy game, one I'd recommend to action-platformer fans, but it really doesn't compare to a lot of what its series has to offer.

db38a-castlevania.gif

The Castlevania for the X68000 (also included in Castlevania Chronicles for the PS1) might just be my favorite in the series. It's something of a remake of the first game, but it does a lot to expand on it without adding anything overbearing that weighs down on the game. The level design is fantastic and truly feels like a natural extension of the original game's, especially in the last few levels when the game gets pretty demanding, and does a great job mixing platforming with various nasty combat scenarios.

The game adds controllable jumps and, to some degree, multidirectional whipping (you can only whip downwards and diagonally downwards in the air) - but unlike Super Castlevania, it feels like the game designers thought about the player character's capabilities while designing their levels, so the downward whipping just lets you play a little more aggressively without making most battles feel totally trivial. The new herb subweapon, which heals you at a large heart (ammo) cost, is cool too - and it acts as an interesting kind of crutch for less experienced players, since using it cuts your offensive capabilities down severely and ultimately makes boss battles harder despite making stages easier. Speaking of the boss fights, they're fantastic - built to challenge your character's larger moveset while still being very demanding. The only negative thing I can think of to say about the game is that the second and third levels feel pretty basic - once you get to the fourth level (out of eight) the game never stops ramping up, but I do have to say that just because of its slower start, the game isn't paced quite as well as the one it's based on. But despite all that I think this is very likely the best title in the franchise.

SGyVpfU.png

Rondo of Blood is also excellent. It's tough to understate how great its visuals and soundtrack are. And the amount of content the game manages to pack in while still being such a solid quality action game is really commendable too - there are tons of cool, unique touches in every level, lots of cool animation details in the sprites, and like in Castlevania 3, the extra paths add a lot of replay value while being really well-balanced (although I do like the default path the most just because it has the coolest bosses). And the bosses are excellent - thanks in no small part to the new backflip maneuver, which acts as a great evasive tool and allows the bosses to pull off some decently nasty attacks that force you to learn when and how to use it. (I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the backflip kind of makes this game, really.) Oh, and I have to say I really love the level late in the game where you face the bosses of the original Castlevania back-to-back - it's really a fantastic boss rush challenge. The standard enemies actually benefit from the backflip too - the traditional axe knights, the large knight enemies, and others (like the weird guys with the wide hats in the swamp level) are really fun to optimize fights against largely because of the backflip; there's a lot of neat footsies going on in this game. Maria is also a fun character to mess around with. She's busted and essentially an easy mode, so she's not as interesting as a proper second character would be - but still, it's really enjoyable to use her insane mobility and offensive capabilities to try and break the game as hard as possible, so I like her.

The game is just a tad too easy for most of its runtime though. Although it's excellent all the way through and doesn't really have any dull levels at all, it takes too long for the game to get particularly threatening, and once it does it never really matches most of the other games in terms of difficulty, which is a shame. I think the game designers intended for the various routes through the game (of which there are a lot) to offset the game's relative lack of difficulty through variety, but I don't think that's interesting in the same way Also, although the enemies are really well-designed in the sense that fighting them in a vacuum is still very fun (which probably isn't true for most enemies in the other games), the game has a tendency to just toss its higher-level enemies in flat rooms without many hazards or lesser enemies to support them, which kind of feels lacking. All in all though, this is still a great game and probably one of my favorites in the series.

mZKFmJv.png

Bloodlines is awesome, and surprisingly blisteringly fast for a Castlevania game. It has two characters - John, who plays like the typical Belmont character but with upwards whipping and an i-frame-filled swinging maneuver that can be done off any ceiling (which enables a specific kind of aggressive play that fits very, very well with this game), and Eric, who is slightly weaker, but whose longer weapon can attack in any upwards direction from the ground (making him a bit more of a defensive character). I definitely prefer John, but the inclusion of two characters who are both extremely fun to play with yet whose subtle differences make them pretty hugely different is fantastic. And John's aforementioned aggressive playstyle is a big change for the series since it opens up some really cool speedkills on bosses (if you're precise enough, of course). There's also an interesting powerup system where - usually once per level or so - you can earn a special ability that massively increases the power of your whip and gives you a super-strong, screen-clearing subweapon (that burns through hearts very quickly) - but taking a single hit returns your offensive capabilities to their standard levels. This ends up making a ton of tense, exciting situations, as the game pushes you to get the most out of each super power-up as you can.

The only real downsides - the game is a little on the short side (six levels, and the final one is relatively insubstantial), and I feel like most of the stages have at least one fairly uninteresting segment lodged in there somewhere. It's not bad enough that I would say there are any levels in this game I don't look forward to playing, like in some other games in the series, but it can be a little inconsistent at times.

RzzOkYK.png

Symphony of the Night is gorgeous; it can't be denied how beautiful it looks. The soundtrack is probably the best in the series, and the game is absolutely packed full of content and cool little easter eggs, which is pretty commendable - but ultimately the game is fairly mindless, filled to the brim with poorly-designed, boring areas. It's good, but despite its pretty face it's really nothing special; a flat downgrade from the previous games.

So that's been my Castlevania experience. I won't say I'm done with the series, but I do feel like I've played pretty much all of the games in the series that particularly interest me. That's not to say I'm done playing all the games listed above, though.

andymcc

Banned
Most of these are pretty good write-ups. Nice to see fresh takes on the series and a proverbial brother in arms in understanding super castlevania iv's mediocrity.

Tizoc

That's a good list you got there OP. Looking at it, for the most part, all the games are good.
Castlevania 2 you wanna use the fan hack/mod that changes stuff up.

Other than that, have you tried any of the other Castlevania 1 games that Konami made during the late 80s?

Nottle

I like Classic Castlevania, but I feel like there is always a point where I have enough, in 1, Simon moves very clunky, particularly the way you move up stairs and features like the item system are sort of archaic, which all comes together to make the medusa hallway and proceeding Death fight my breaking point. Because I can not make it all the way to death with holy water to cheese him.

I'm really interested in playing 3, Rondo and maybe Bloodlines but the classic ones I played have some issues.

I think it's worth mentioning that the game nails a "sense of place" better than the majority of its successors, which is pretty impressive considering that it's a NES game released in 1986. The way each level logically flows into the next, with the game's entire environment feeling like it makes up a fairly cohesive castle, is really something and adds an extra bit of "oomph" to the game - since the game doesn't feel kind of disjointed like most of the later ones do (and really, like a huge amount of action-platformers do - not that it's really a bad thing though) makes it all the more satisfying to bring the castle down in the end.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because it's one of my favorite things about the first game, and so few CV entries after actually get it right. SoTN aside, I think the game that comes the closest in those regards is Castlevania: The Adveture ReBirth, which is ultimately an easier game than the NES trilogy, but still a great game, and definitely nails that sense of place that the first game does.

First exposure to the series was Harmony of Despair. Go figure, right? lol

Then I backtracked and played SOTN which I loved, and then went back and played Rondo of Blood which I also loved.

May have to go back and play the NES titles someday.

andymcc

Banned
I like Classic Castlevania, but I feel like there is always a point where I have enough, in 1, Simon moves very clunky, particularly the way you move up stairs and features like the item system are sort of archaic, which all comes together to make the medusa hallway and proceeding Death fight my breaking point. Because I can not make it all the way to death with holy water to cheese him.

I'm really interested in playing 3, Rondo and maybe Bloodlines but the classic ones I played have some issues.

How's the sub weapon system, which is virtually the same in every other Classic castlevania, archaic?

Rondo lets you jump off and on stairs fwiw.

Dang, that's a nice write up. Bravo !!
I've been meaning to play all the earlier titles as well, particularly III and IV.
The original series is one of those that kept getting better upon each release,

I won't absolutely rip into Castlevania 2 and call it a bad game (it at least controls fairly well, I suppose, and it has solid music and graphics) but it's definitely a mediocre one.

Okay, all is forgiven.

HagiG7

The soundtrack is probably the best in the series, and the game is absolutely packed full of content and cool little easter eggs, which is pretty commendable - but ultimately the game is fairly mindless, filled to the brim with poorly-designed, boring areas. It's good, but despite its pretty face it's really nothing special; a flat downgrade from the previous games.

I have to disagree with this. I think the whole castle was tightly connected, with a great variety of areas and the clever shortcuts you discovered made it fun to explore.
And the moment you get to the inverted castle...just pure game design brilliance.

I have to disagree with this. I think the whole castle was tightly connected, with a great variety of areas and the clever shortcuts you discovered made it fun to explore.
And the moment you get to the inverted castle...just pure game design brilliance.

SoTN is my personal favorite CV game, and definitely in my Top 3 GOATs, but he's not wrong. On a moment to moment basis, The vast majority of SoTN's level design isn't anywhere near as thoughtfully designed as say, the very first game, for example. Alucard's mobilty more or less renders most of the game's attempts at platforming challenge moot, and the game has pretty awful pacing compared to other entries.

HagiG7

SoTN is my personal favorite CV game, and definitely in my Top 3 GOATs, but he's not wrong. On a moment to moment basis, The vast majority of SoTN's level design isn't anywhere near as thoughtfully designed as say, the very first game, for example. Alucard's mobilty more or less renders most of the game's attempts at platforming challenge moot, and the game has pretty awful pacing compared to other entries.

Well SOTN being an evolution for the franchise towards a more free and exploration based form might took a toll on the level design.
As far as platforming goes I believe the challenge in the original is owed to the somewhat clunky controls. I'll take Alucard's fluidity and smoothness any day.

Most of these are pretty good write-ups. Nice to see fresh takes on the series and a proverbial brother in arms in understanding super castlevania iv's mediocrity.

Well, I don't think Super Castlevania is mediocre exactly - I'd reserve that for 2 - but yeah, it's definitely the weakest of the older games that I played. (I'm sure if I had played, say, the Game Boy games or whatever, I'd be saying that about them instead though.)

That's a good list you got there OP. Looking at it, for the most part, all the games are good.
Castlevania 2 you wanna use the fan hack/mod that changes stuff up.

Other than that, have you tried any of the other Castlevania 1 games that Konami made during the late 80s?

Do you mean Vampire Killer and Haunted Castle? Neither of them look particularly good so I'm not very interested in playing them (although I did get pretty close to at least trying the latter). They seem skippable.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because it's one of my favorite things about the first game, and so few CV entries after actually get it right. SoTN aside, I think the game that comes the closest in those regards is Castlevania: The Adveture ReBirth, which is ultimately an easier game than the NES trilogy, but still a great game, and definitely nails that sense of place that the first game does.

Rebirth is definitely the remaining Castlevania I have the most interest in. I'll probably try it out someday; it looks like a solid game. The soundtrack in particular seems to be really cool (Manabu Namiki doing FM synth-like remixes of older Castlevania tunes, what an inspired choice).

Try the GB Advance and DS games, all are at least average to above average.

I don't think SotN is particularly great so I'm not interested in playing the later Metroidvanias, unless any of them happen to blow SotN away.

On a macro level, the castle in SotN is pretty cool, yeah - but that's not really enough. The important thing is that pretty much every individual room sucks. It doesn't matter if the castle is laid out decently well (and not even as well as the best Metroid games really) if it's not interesting to explore. I don't thnk I'd call the shortcuts "clever" either; the extra mobility-granting abilities you get are pretty basic and the map doesn't have a lot of cool wrap-arounds like Metroid games tend to.

I do like the concept of the inverted castle - dumping you in a big open area and telling you to go track down the remaining bosses on your own to end the game is honestly pretty cool - but it gets kind of tedious to move around in it since you have to switch in and out of bat or mist forms constantly just to move around certain rooms.

Well SOTN being an evolution for the franchise towards a more free and exploration based form might took a toll on the level design.
As far as platforming goes I believe the challenge in the original is owed to the somewhat clunky controls. I'll take Alucard's fluidity and smoothness any day.

I'd say it's a devolution. The challenge in the original games is only due to their controls in the sense that the challenge of every game is based around their controls (because that's how you make challenges interesting, you tailor them based around what the player can and cannot do). In SotN they just didn't care about that, so you end up with bosses and a lot of enemies that are literally just as complex as those in the NES games - except you're controlling a character that's a thousand times more mobile and more powerful, so every fight in the game ends up unsatisfying (and uninteresting and - for the most part - boring). That's the kind of game SotN is really - undercooked.

Out of curiosity - do any of you think the Game Boy games or Dracula X are worthwhile? They don't seem like they stack up to the better games in the series but I might check them out if they're good enough.

Been playing a bunch of Castlevania: The Adventture Rebirth, and have to say this game deserves to be played along with the rest of the classic CVs.

Pejo

Really nice write-ups on these games, I echo a lot of the feelings you had.

SOTN will forever be my favorite Castlevania, but out of the classics, Castlevania III will probably never be topped. There were indeed some crap levels as you said, OP, but the guest characters and multiple paths make every playthrough feel unique.

This also reminds me that I never played Rondo of Blood. I really need to do that.

Quality opening post right there.
Of the classic style games I still think I'm leaning towards 1 or 3 for personal preference.
Still need to tackle, 2, the Chronicles one and Bloodlines though.
Okay so I'll probably never tackle 2.

Oh hey you linked Riddle for CV3 immediately bringing back painful memories, that's one of the most gauntlet like stages I've endured in a game.
I was surprised to find me preferring the NES entries seeing that I tackled them after SC4 and Rondo of Blood, there's something so satisfyingly punch about the whip back in those ones and the fixed jump really makes you think that much more about every moves you make.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
good on you for recognizing the greatness of dracula x68000. i absolutely adore that game. the challenge and pacing is pitch-perfect, the bosses are amazing (especially the werewolf), the FM music is glorious, and it looks so vibrant compared to the drab super cv.

rondo is a close second, but it's just too easy to get the top spot for me.

ReyVGM

THIS is how you make a LTTP thread. Not the usual "I just played this game and it's kinda cool. Anyone else think the same?" type of LTTP thread.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm a huge Castlevania fan and prefer the linear games. But I realized that I never played Chronicles. I always thought it was just a remake of the first game but I just tried it and to my surprise from level 2 onwards it is an entirely different game. It's very interesting because it feels like a fusion of Castlevania 1 (obviously), Castlevania 4, and Haunted Castle (the arcade Castlevania title).

Classic franchise. It's kinda' weird how there's not very many other horror-oriented Action Platformers aside from Splatterhouse 1 and 2.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hey, I'm playing through Castlevania too---but I started with the "Metroidvania" side of the franchise though. I've now acquired every game BUT Dawn of Sorrow unfortunately...really don't wanna miss out on that, I wonder how cheap it is online?

I totally feel you on SoTN...the game looks great, but honestly I agree it's pretty lame. After about 3/4ths into the first castle, you're so fucking powerful everything is a joke. And then the Inverted Castle IMO pretty much sucks the whole way through except for the cool, brand-new enemies it adds instead of rehashing them. I almost started a thread about this actually...

I moved onto Circle of the Moon, the first GBA Metroidvania after SOTN, and this game is SO much better in pretty much every way except perhaps presentation, but for a launch GBA title it's not too bad. Way more sense of platforming, more balanced difficulty, cooler techniques instead of countless worthless weapons, the rooms aren't as much of a mindless slog, etc. It's just a really fun game!

EDIT: Yeah, if you have a Wii U, get Circle of Moon on the VC. I bet you'll like it more than SOTN, has a much more classic feel to it.

Dawn of Sorrow DS is the only Metriodvania of the series I've played (found it to be rather mediocre for the same reasons the OP states) One feature I liked was Juluis Mode which turns the game into something closer to NES original. Do the other metriodvanias like SOTN also include this type of mode too?

Maybe I'll hook up the ps1 and play chronicles/x68000 later. Those first few levels are such a slog and I never beat it.

You should play through OoE at least considering its the best Igavania in terms of gameplay and a pseudo sequel is coming.

game still looks beautiful to me. maybe it's because it was the first non-8 bit game i played, but it never really ages in my eyes

I still like how it looks. It's definitely less colorful than the later games, but I think it's pleasing enough, and I respect the kind of atmosphere it tries to go for.

Hey, I'm playing through Castlevania too---but I started with the "Metroidvania" side of the franchise though. I've now acquired every game BUT Dawn of Sorrow unfortunately...really don't wanna miss out on that, I wonder how cheap it is online?

I totally feel you on SoTN...the game looks great, but honestly I agree it's pretty lame. After about 3/4ths into the first castle, you're so fucking powerful everything is a joke. And then the Inverted Castle IMO pretty much sucks the whole way through except for the cool, brand-new enemies it adds instead of rehashing them. I almost started a thread about this actually...

I moved onto Circle of the Moon, the first GBA Metroidvania after SOTN, and this game is SO much better in pretty much every way except perhaps presentation, but for a launch GBA title it's not too bad. Way more sense of platforming, more balanced difficulty, cooler techniques instead of countless worthless weapons, the rooms aren't as much of a mindless slog, etc. It's just a really fun game!

EDIT: Yeah, if you have a Wii U, get Circle of Moon on the VC. I bet you'll like it more than SOTN, has a much more classic feel to it.

I'll keep that in mind. I dunno - SotN didn't really grab me but there were elements to it I really liked. I don't feel like playing more metroidvania at the moment, but I may come back for the later Castlevanias someday.

Top Bottom