• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon Age: Inquisition

I'm coming off of a Hollow Knight high, and wanted to start a new game without putting too much effort into looking. How fortunate for me that while I was seriously burned by Mass Effect: Andromeda, the Origin Access subscription I used to get the game early allows me to play several other EA games for free. Even though I'm done giving Bioware chances with new material from this point, I figured I can get my moneys worth with a free older title.

I had actually attempted to play this game once in the past (this game came out 3 years ago? Time flies), but made the mistake of actually trying to go to every blip on the map and burned out very quickly. Now with that experience and ME:A fresh in my mind, I know better. I'm not far into the game, but I know If I'm going to do this again, I wanted some new ground rules:

• Qunari - Unlike the other titles you can play a Qunari in this one so I figured I might as well for the change of pace. So far I'm very happy with this decision in all respects. Looks, voice, dialogue - all great, but whats best is just nonchalantly towering over every smug idiot in the game.
    Code:
    [IMG]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18359295_1918252798200239_2922920032431718982_o.jpg?oh=b7cc2eccfc416eab7d04a4d967f822b3&oe=59C00872[/IMG]
  • Mod the shit out of it - My current list of mods is as follows, all of which are a tremendous addition to the game so far:

• Party At The Winter Palace
    • Calpernia Qunari Skin Texture
    • Crafting Assassin Saarebas MP Armor (looks great on Qunari)
    • Easier Runes
    • Eyebrows
    • Fall Damage Nullified (So great)
    • HD Eye Textures
    • Longer Lashes
    • More Banter
    • Hairstyle Mods
    • Quicker Looting (life saver)
    • Scaled Horns (increases Qunari horn size)
    • Cassandra Texture
    • Smooth Hair
    • Halla Doors Only Require One Statue
    • Rare Weapons
    • Irritating Dialogue Silenced (imagine if you never heard about minerals again in ME:A)
    • War Table No Waiting
    I'm open to other great suggestions for more mods.

• Ignore most filler - At this point I can mostly tell what to avoid, but I do worry about missing out on some of the better content, and I was hoping someone on GAF had a good list of what not to skip.

I have a few issues that GAF might be able to give me pointers on as I play through. For one - I just feel like so many things are clunky. Moving around the map isn't so bad, but I'm still not entirely certain how to click on something to see what it is without attacking it. So many little critters have died this way. Disrupting/closing a rift seems to work only when it feels like it, as my Inquisitor tends to auto-attack the surrounding instead. The most surprising issue I'm having is in the "tactical" mode. I played both DA:O and 2, and trying to play this game like DA:O seems like wasted effort. I can attack an enemy normally from what seems like unlimited range (as a mage), but in tactical mode you have to be very close to enemies to be able to target them as the camera seems tethered to a short distance. The camera itself is just way too close to the ground for what is supposed to be an overhead camera, and I've tried messing with it to zoom out with no luck. Is it not possible, or a keybinding issue?

Lastly, obviously I'm out of touch with the lore of the series. I was interested in brushing up as I enjoyed it a lot in DA:O, but this game's codex is hot garbage. I'm worried to just read a wiki as it would contain spoilers for this game, no? Anyone know a good place for a recap of such things as The Fade, Demons, Eluvians, etc?

JoeBoy101

FYI, Not sure if its included with your version, but be sure to get the Trespasser DLC. Not only is it good, it is a pretty pivotal piece of lore and sets up any upcoming game nicely.

LEAVE THE HINTERLANDS

I did not make that mistake again and left soon after entering. I hopped back in a couple times only when I needed some Power. I'm going to try and keep the main quests near at hand instead of getting so lost I forget what the Inquisition was doing in the first place.

FYI, Not sure if its included with your version, but be sure to get the Trespasser DLC. Not only is it good, it is a pretty pivotal piece of lore and sets up any upcoming game nicely.

I did pick only Trespasser up, as I heard its pretty much the real ending of the game and lore-heavy. I know next to nothing about it, otherwise.

Does anyone have experience with the "Trials" options? I feel like the one that keeps enemies scaled at your level seems like a good idea, but couldn't say how it plays out in practice.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
More Banter

Oh man, this takes me back a bit. I had a big topic about the banter problem over at the BSN when the game released 2.5 years ago. I think it was improved through patches too?

Top Bottom