• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dune (the novel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome novel. I can't be the only one here whose favorite character was Gurney Halleck can I? He and his baliset playing were awesome.

I don't know if he was my favorite but he was definitely up there! Halleck was a beast.

One of my all time favorite books.

The biggest flaw, IMO, is the character of Count Fenring.

He's built up over the course of the book as an invincible killer, the ace in the hole. And then when ordered to kill Paul he doesn't... because eh, he doesn't wanna.

Lame.

I thought it was because he felt an emotional connection to Paul since he was almost the Kwisatz Haderach himself.

I'm not very far in, but I can't stand the Harkonnen chapters, while I like the Atreyu chapters. Does it get better?

What exactly do you hate about it? The Harkonnens are the villains of the novel, you aren't exactly supposed to like them...

Dalthien

I just finished Dune and Dune Messiah. I'm starting Children of Dune which a lot of people say is the best one. Also if anyone else is thinking of jumping on the Dune wagon, I recommend the leather bound Barnes and Noble edition.

Yeah, Children was my favourite in the series. Followed by God Emperor, which I thought was the worst in the series. But Chapterhouse was a solid ending, probably my 3rd-best in the series. But yeah - I loved Children.

The first several Dune books and the Dune encyclopedia are easily the best of Dune. Herbert still had wild ideas in the last few books, but they had long ago ceased to be interesting.

The stuff his son and the other guy hacked out are awful. It's bad science fiction schlock, well below par, and then made even worse by it being built off the corpse of something that had value and some talent behind it in it's day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom