• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy IV: The After Years iOS

jeremy1456

I was a pretty big fan of FFIV: The After Years when it was released on Wiiware so many years ago, but the graphics always bothered me. Many complained that it looked like something that had been made in RPG Maker, and that wasn't too far off in my opinion. The game was also a little unbalanced.

I decided to get FFIV: The After Years for my iPad and I must say that it is such a huge improvement. I know a lot of people around here don't like the FFIV DS engine, but I'm not one of them. I think it's really cool, and though I've only finished a few scenarios I am really liking all of the filler that was cut out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the iOS (or android) version of this game? I think I'm going to love the rest of it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's on sale for $11, so pick it up!

Is it the same version as the PSP? The PSP version of FF4/after years was really good.

It's just a shame that the after years as a whole was kind of disappointing... it just lacked a lot of the "magic" that made FFIV so good... hard to explain.

That said, the sprite work was excellent in that port/remake.

jeremy1456

Is it the same version as the PSP? The PSP version of FF4/after years was really good.

It's just a shame that the after years as a whole was kind of disappointing... it just lacked a lot of the "magic" that made FFIV so good... hard to explain.

That said, the sprite work was excellent in that port/remake.

No, it is not the PSP version. Square-Enix remade the game using the FFIV DS 3D engine.

I couldn't get into the PSP version because I didn't like the graphics.

The bonus dungeons and the 2D sprites are some of my favorite aspects of the game, so this version has zero appeal to me.

jeremy1456

The bonus dungeons and the 2D sprites are some of my favorite aspects of the game, so this version has zero appeal to me.

That's understandable. I personally hated the bonus dungeons, and both 2D versions are very unappealing to me graphically. To each his own though.

Did they actually make an changes to the characters themselves?

I'd love it if Harley actually got a boost, since it seems like she was originally intended to be a Blue Mage.

jeremy1456

Ahh... if that's the case, I played the FF4 on DS and it was.... okay.

On the iPad screen this version of FFIV The After Years is a little pixelated, but I really like the graphics. So far there's been no voice work, and I doubt there will be at any point, but at least they did make it a little cinematic.

ShowDog

I have problems with the fact that they declined to check the texture filtering box. Game looks weird without it. The look was designed for the DS resolution and the crispness of the edges combined with the lack of texture filtering bugs.

I would probably pick this up if it were released on the 3DS eShop. I bought the first episode on WiiWare back in the day but never completed it, and I would prefer to play it with the new graphics. But I don't understand why they would use the DS engine and then only release it on iOS. I mean, if it was built from the ground up for iOS it could have more detailed models and stuff. All in all it just seems weird.

jeremy1456

I would probably pick this up if it were released on the 3DS eShop. I bought the first episode on WiiWare back in the day but never completed it, and I would prefer to play it with the new graphics. But I don't understand why they would use the DS engine and then only release it on iOS. I mean, if it was built from the ground up for iOS it could have more detailed models and stuff. All in all it just seems weird.

I would rather use traditional controls, but the touch screen works well enough. This is probably the only chance you'll have to play it with the new graphics.

jeremy1456

I've been playing the scenarios in order of how they appear in the selection menu. I just finished Palom's (which is one of my favorites) and I'm about to start Edge's.

The additional production values of this version definitely make it worth picking up.

Goli

On the iPad screen this version of FFIV The After Years is a little pixelated, but I really like the graphics. So far there's been no voice work, and I doubt there will be at any point, but at least they did make it a little cinematic.
It's still weird seeing how their lips flap but nothing comes out unlike FFIV but it's something, I guess.

I have problems with the fact that they declined to check the texture filtering box. Game looks weird without it. The look was designed for the DS resolution and the crispness of the edges combined with the lack of texture filtering bugs.
Personally I find that look rather charming, it really brings me back to old PS1 and DS RPGs with the lack of texture filtering and AA, it's... cute?

I would rather use traditional controls, but the touch screen works well enough. This is probably the only chance you'll have to play it with the new graphics.
SE plans to add support for mobile game controllers at some point for the game though, along with FFIII, IV, V and VI.

By the way, the game is on sale and the sale should be ending on Thursday.

Goli

Oh? Great news.

Yup, they even released a demo video:
http://youtu.be/Mst8GDbXsTQ
The silly part is FFIII was supposed to get an update with controller support during December of 2013, but that obviously didn't happen, so it along with all the other games I mentioned have a vague 2014 slated update release. Considering how VI isn't even out yet for iOS makes me wonder if that could be the reason why it's taking longer than the Android version, perhaps it'll launch with controller support.

Top Bottom