• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Finished The Division 2 and tried out The Divsion afterwards. The snowy NYC atmo is incredible and much better.

Which game had the better location and atmosphere?

• The Division 1

Votes: 40 95.2%
  • The Division 2

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Warlords of New York DLC (The Division 2)

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

TVexperto

So I finally played through the main story of The Division 2 and then I wanted to go back and compare it with The Division which I loved.
I have to say: The snowy winter NYC with neon lights and flashing carlights is 1000x better than the summer location of DC.
Dont get me wrong, the gameplay in D2 is amazing, feels good but it seems there is always some kind of "filter" on the screen, therefore the colors (for example the yellow cabs in NYC) pop much more than in D2.

Also the snow effects, music, location is just so good. I really hope they make a third one in the snowy location again. But now its time to play D1 again.

SJRB

Gold Member
I could spend hours just walking around snowy NY, enjoying the visuals, the atmosphere, the city. Which is probably the highest compliment I can give to the design team.

When I saw that Division 2 traded in snowy NYC for a summer setting in Washington I was pretty disappointed. And to be fair I've played quite a bit of Division 2 but I always kept thinking "god I wish this was snowy" and ultimately reinstalled Division 1.

Last edited:

Desless1

I've just replayed for the third time both of the games, wrapped them up last weekend (base game), and I do agree.
The atmosphere in NYC is way better then DC, but gameplay is worse in D1.

NYC was way more dark and gritty, but its also 7 months prior to DC, so obviously people change during that time. What I do like about DC, is that the environment is more diverse, and easier to transverse through.

Rossco EZ

yeah the division 1 setting was much better, i used to play a lot of the survival game mode before the player base fell off. i always thought you got more snow storms during that mode, was great starting with nothing and moving through that map whilst other players were doing the same. a lot of people forget i think that it was almost one of the first battle royal in a way before the likes of pubg and fortnite variants.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Yep, I bought Division 1 primarily because of the setting and the atmosphere and I usually don't play gaas games. They shoud've stayed with the same or similar setting in Division 2 instead of trying a completely different (bland) one.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

There are just cities in videogames that are just not good. Dc and london being the two most boring cities ever with nothing interesting. Watch digs legion would be much better if it took place in another city.

So I finally played through the main story of The Division 2 and then I wanted to go back and compare it with The Division which I loved.
I have to say: The snowy winter NYC with neon lights and flashing carlights is 1000x better than the summer location of DC.
Dont get me wrong, the gameplay in D2 is amazing, feels good but it seems there is always some kind of "filter" on the screen, therefore the colors (for example the yellow cabs in NYC) pop much more than in D2.

Also the snow effects, music, location is just so good. I really hope they make a third one in the snowy location again. But now its time to play D1 again.
Yeah, totally agree with that

Played the hell out of division 1, couldn't stand the sequel's setting and instadropped, sadly

Stuart360

Picked Warlords of New York, soley because its so good looking, and better looking than both main games (at least on PC anyway)
I do agree that snowy New York was better than Washington though. Division 2 is imo a much better game though. Division 2 gameplay, in New York, would be a perfect combo.

Dr.Morris79

There are just cities in videogames that are just not good. Dc and london being the two most boring cities ever with nothing interesting. Watch digs legion would be much better if it took place in another city.
Not really. London would have been an awsome city if they knew how to put in a good, well written game

It didnt need to be 'futuristic' at all, Londons one of the most well CCTV'd cities in the world

They totally dropped the ball there, it's just a pants game. Great nice looking map, utter shit everything else

Makes me sad.

Stuart360

Not really. London would have been an awsome city if they knew how to put in a good, well written game

It didnt need to be 'futuristic' at all, Londons one of the most well CCTV'd cities in the world

They totally dropped the ball there, it's just a pants game. Great nice looking map, utter shit everything else

Makes me sad.
Yeah that was a weird thing to say really. London has so muich vareity and landmarks etc. Its a fantastic city to use as an open world.

Sleepwalker

I beat the division 1 and dropped the division 2 after a couple days. It is a much better mechanic wise but the story is somehow worse (lol) and the setting just didn't grab me as much. It's still a pretty impressive game but I'm not in the mood right now for that setting

I imagine part of the reason they changed it was because they would get a lot of "Division 1.5" complaints if the setting was similar. People need to cut it out with those types of bullshit comments.

lingpanda

The Division 2 is better in everyway with the exception it lacks the mobile cover skill from Division 1. I know why it was removed but I liked it. The atmosphere from both are great.

Top Bottom