• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Horizon - Zero Dawn

I think they changed how the special armor worked. It used to gate damage so you can't get oneshotted but I think it's been changed to basically act like an extended health bar. I've always preferred the stealth armor anyway since glinthawks are annoying assholes.

AI gone wild doesn't qualify as proper scifi?

then what the heck is The Terminator, Ex Machina, 2001 Space Oddessy and Westworld?

Last edited:

Lokimaru

I have yet to try Frozen Wilds. I started Horizon on the hardest difficulty and I heard they revamped it. so that's going to get another play through soon, because of that.

The AI can be down right moronic making fights against human enemies, mainly, way too easy. The better you are at the game the easier things get and for the AI to be that easily stomped is kind of off putting.

Revamped difficulty better be worth my time!

So you are blaming the AI for not keeping up with you getting good? How would that even work and how could you tell if your progressing or just getting by? Sorry but I want to dominate when I play games. It's what's Best in Life after all :cool:.

Pretty game but hated how I moved and fighting robot dinos was boring to me. :/

You never got to the fun stuff.

An hour is nothing considering they have to set up everything.

Why in the world would you buy a game and give up after an hour? Is this the first game you ever played or something? That's just insane.

So you are blaming the AI for not keeping up with you getting good? How would that even work and how could you tell if your progressing or just getting by? Sorry but I want to dominate when I play games. It's what's Best in Life after all :cool:.
The humanoid AI is a joke.
Here is just a small sample of the comedy:

Fox Mulder

The dlc difficult really jumps as the final mission recommends lvl 50. I've put like 80 hours in and have done most side missions and was only level 52. You still have stupidly strong weapons by then so it wasnt actually that hard really. I'm interested in the sequel that gets set up and felt like they improved most of the complaints of the main game in the DLC, besides the human AI.

I'll move on to Yakuza 0 or God of War now.

sono

I am also LTTP with this game.

I am blown away by the technical excellence. The models, animation and behavior of the "monster animals" is jaw-dropping; each type has a very different behaviour; the environments are amazing, the lighting is incredible. It is a totally absorbing world to be put in. It is like a combination of Fallout, Farcry and Metal Gear Solid IV with graphics and combat and environments at a different level to those games. The sheer attention to detail I dont know how it is possible on a PS4. Its a masterpiece for me. I have been so engrossed in it then when I come back to the real world I find myself expecting my pets to start attacking me, and I have to stop myself picking up plants when I am outside!

Toe-Knee

I am also LTTP with this game.

I am blown away by the technical excellence. The models, animation and behavior of the "monster animals" is jaw-dropping; each type has a very different behaviour; the environments are amazing, the lighting is incredible. It is a totally absorbing world to be put in. It is like a combination of Fallout, Farcry and Metal Gear Solid IV with graphics and combat and environments at a different level to those games. The sheer attention to detail I dont know how it is possible on a PS4. Its a masterpiece for me. I have been so engrossed in it then when I come back to the real world I find myself expecting my pets to start attacking me, and I have to stop myself picking up plants when I am outside!
Be sure to also check out the frozen wild. Better than the base game which I absolutely loved.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Best open world I've ever played imo. I dropped witcher 3 after skellige bcus the ballerina combat was just not good and just too much dialouge . Botw I dropped, then went back to and finished. Honestly i forced myself to finish it, to empty for me and bosses were boring asf. This game for me was something special. Graphics were gorgeous, combat was so satisfying and the world wasn't dull and empty. I found npcs to kill everywhere. The story also had me intrigued and I loved it. The game was above most open worlds because although the world was big it wasn't barren and I never bored of roaming around.

Last edited:

Shagger

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn is a masterpiece in my opinion. The story is engaging, the world and set up is interesting and unique, voice acting is top class, it's utterly gorgeous with both superb graphics and design style and the gameplay is quick paced, dynamic, variable and challenging.

Aloy as a protagonists is one of the most empowering, entertaining and relatable I've ever played and being voiced by Ashley Burch doesn't exactly hurt either. I just adore the character. So witty, courageous, determined and adventurous it's just impossible to not want to follow her story to the end.

The open world and RPG elements of the game aren't exactly complex nor very original, but offer enough variety, flexibility and fun to be worth while. These have been integrated well and feel indigenous despite the fact that these ideas have been done before.

I love the variety of enimies, such cool deigns that require strategy as well as skill and timing to take down. Unlike other games (I'm not gonna say what game is on my mind because you'll all just crusify for it) that cripples you with sluggish controls and cryptic AI that prays on your natural instics, this game has fast, intuitive user input in combat and AI that offers a fair challenge without trying to trick you. This is important as you own every victory and defeat making the game challenging without being frustrating.

Overall, I love it. Been playing games for the best part of three decades and this is one of my very favourites.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Overall I don’t think it’s impactful as Killzone 2 was, OP is right though GG put the gaming world on their back and took it to another level with Horizon Zero Dawn. They might have to make a sequel with an even better story and world.

danielberg

Neophyte
One of the few if not the only open world game that has actually a engaging main story.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Horizon Zero Dawn is a masterpiece in my opinion. The story is engaging, the world and set up is interesting and unique, voice acting is top class, it's utterly gorgeous with both superb graphics and design style and the gameplay is quick paced, dynamic, variable and challenging.

Aloy as a protagonists is one of the most empowering, entertaining and relatable I've ever played and being voiced by Ashley Burch doesn't exactly hurt either. I just adore the character. So witty, courageous, determined and adventurous it's just impossible to not want to follow her story to the end.

Overall, I love it. Been playing games for the best part of three decades and this is one of my very favourites.

I agree 100%. I feel like enough good isn't said about Aloy.

I think the combat is great and so are the environments. I love exploring the world.

I looooved this game. ... And btw. this game is probably the biggest draw for HDR. Not even GoW comes close to this. Multiple times I found myself just standing there and wondering at these graphics in awe. Once you see and play this game in 4k+HDR on OLED there is no way back.

Indeed, although I don't have OLED, it still looks great in 4K (or close) and HDR.

p.s. I just finished my 3rd run through the game yesterday. Started a 4th one, New Game +, at level 42. I want to play Frozen Wilds again, although I probably won't go through the whole game a 4th time. 3 was enough.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I just finished this yesterday, took me 130 hours. Loved just running around the world and exploring. In real world time it took me about a month because I can only fit in about 2 hours on week days, more on weekends if there are no plans.

I really enjoyed the story, the characters and the world that they set up. The games history is so damn rich, especially if you track down all the datapoints. The graphics are beyond incredible both outside and inside with the Cauldrons. I'll play New Game+ on PS5 if it's backwards compatible, I darn well hope it is.

A few tiny things they need to fix. Aloy would constantly get stuck on environmental objects on the ground, things like rocks and even stairs. I'd frequently have to pres L3 again to have her sprint again. My only other complaint is during cut scenes, each new view seems to have to reload everything and so hair and materials flop in with every view change. Finally a much bigger issue, I was disappointed with the final mission, it boiled down to a shooting gallery and than fighting an enemy you have fought before but harder.

Can't wait for the sequel, damn you end credits scene and damn you Sylens!!!!!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just got this and playing it now. I really like it! I loved Death Stranding so it’s neat to see the engine doing something else. I like the crafting and kind of Uncharted style climbing in sections. The world looks amazing in 4K w some heavy fantasy vibes lots of thick foliage alongside the cool robot dinosaurs.

I just got to the part where you discover you can override and then ride them and I didint know you could do that! Haha that is so awesome. This game gonna be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom