• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Indigo Prophecy

ronito

So I picked this up last week and had a chance to actually play this a little while yesterday. I'm only about 1.5 hours in however I'm intrigued. I'm reminded of the old PC Adventure games I used to play. So far I like the story, and find the gameplay a little refreshing.

Truth be told I really am enjoying it. However, I'm unwilling to make a final judgement as of yet, as I hear even Xenosaga II is enjoyable the first few hours to some. Still I am very interested in what's going on. And it shows a ton of promise, however I could see it getting repetitive or becoming unravelled in too much complexity with all the characters as it goes on. Also I'm no graphics whore but for a game that's heavily based on characters they could've done a lot better job on the character models. Looking at some of them just hurts.

So what say fellow GAFFers? Do I have a hit or a dud on my hands?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Really good game untill you get to the 60% point....storywise it falls apart after that. But overall a solid game.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Middle of the road... beginning and middle are great with interesting story moments, the end kinda wraps it up way too quickly though... some cool action moments though all around, even if some of the end action sequences are are a bit too... familiar.

the ending sucks story wise. don't expect the ending to blow you away, and you'll have a lot more fun with it than i did.

it gets really daft and 'jumps the train'. that'll make more sense to you later on.

i really liked the gameplay, the controls and all those ideas (i even liked the simon says coloured circles bits, which i had no trouble doing AND following the scenes going on behind them personally... which was lucky).

I saw Cage acknowledged that he ****ed up the ending of the story the other day in a post mortem... which makes me more optimistic for the next game he makes.

a game with that gameplay and a satisfying story, would really be something special.

edit: hah! four posts in a minute saying the ending sucks...

Ranger X

This game is the new gen of adventure games. It is truly amazing. I wish Dreamfall would have had this design.
The only thing is that they ****ed up the story in the last tierce of the game.

All in all, thumbs up to Quantic Dream and i can't wait to play Heavy Rain.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The full on simons says action sequences are some of the best parts of the game as oppose to the ho hum simon says seqences are IMO, if you're able to divide your attention between following the controls, and viewing what's going on behind them...

Swat

A Hero's Hero!
Some games you rent on a Friday night and you have your hands glued to the controller for the weekend. This was one of those games. "Game" isn't the right word though, it really is an interactive movie. I hated the QTE parts, but I really dug the story and presentation.

Definitely one of my gaming highlights of the past few years. I was LTTP as well.

jett

D-Member
Damn this thread came along just at the right time...too bad it didn't live too long. I got this game on wednesday, and I just finished it tonight. Had some REALLY cool gameplay ideas, but along with that it also had some spotty controls, mainly due to the constantly changing camera angles, I guess. I also liked the general tone of the game, and the "mature" feeling it was going for. The sex stuff was uh er, interesting. :p

It does kind of fall apart in the final act too...what bothered me most was how all of a sudden
Lucas was getting it on with Carla
. WTF was that all about, they didn't even bother providing an explanation for that. Well, that and the pretentious deus ex machina crap. Hopefully Heavy Rain is a more down to earth cinematic-adventure game, with no weird stuff in it...and if it has I hope it's handled better. :p

A pretty good rent, I'd say.

ronito said:
So I picked this up last week and had a chance to actually play this a little while yesterday. I'm only about 1.5 hours in however I'm intrigued. I'm reminded of the old PC Adventure games I used to play. So far I like the story, and find the gameplay a little refreshing.

Truth be told I really am enjoying it. However, I'm unwilling to make a final judgement as of yet, as I hear even Xenosaga II is enjoyable the first few hours to some. Still I am very interested in what's going on. And it shows a ton of promise, however I could see it getting repetitive or becoming unravelled in too much complexity with all the characters as it goes on. Also I'm no graphics whore but for a game that's heavily based on characters they could've done a lot better job on the character models. Looking at some of them just hurts.

So what say fellow GAFFers? Do I have a hit or a dud on my hands?
You have a dud, unfortunately.

It's awesome, at first. Incredibly cool.

Then the story goes downhill...really, really fast. A lot of the puzzle sequences are incredibly irritating (particularly the part where you get to have fun with the girl's claustrophobia or where you have to search through a gigantic bookstore). Then you come to the idiotic parts that are completely unnecessary for completion and yet YOU ARE FORCED TO COMPLETE 'SIMON SAYS' WITH THEM.

The story really takes off during the middle, when you have a really cool sequence where you have to escape from the police. Unfortunately, things get extremely retarded-screwy after that. You lose the fun of dealing with the character's sanity/misperceptions and instead you focus on 'Simon Says' parts that culminate into a complete WTF ending.

And, dealing with the military base is hell. Hell-ass-stupid.

ronito

Tom the Enchanter said:
You have a dud, unfortunately.

It's awesome, at first. Incredibly cool.

Then the story goes downhill...really, really fast. A lot of the puzzle sequences are incredibly irritating (particularly the part where you get to have fun with the girl's claustrophobia or where you have to search through a gigantic bookstore). Then you come to the idiotic parts that are completely unnecessary for completion and yet YOU ARE FORCED TO COMPLETE 'SIMON SAYS' WITH THEM.

The story really takes off during the middle, when you have a really cool sequence where you have to escape from the police. Unfortunately, things get extremely retarded-screwy after that. You lose the fun of dealing with the character's sanity/misperceptions and instead you focus on 'Simon Says' parts that culminate into a complete WTF ending.

And, dealing with the military base is hell. Hell-ass-stupid.
lol. I just did those last night. Freaking piece of crap segments!!! If I have to hear "Stop right there or I'll shoot!" just one more time. Then when I finally got to the freaking kids they started calling me retarded, Fine then,
I left them blow up with the hangar
. I was in no mood to save their sorry fat butts after all that. I know it'll catch up to me in the game later somehow, but I don't care. I enjoyed letting them die.

And then to follow it up I have the whole bookstore thing. I figured out where the book I need was in about 5 minutes, but then 30-45 minutes in front of the shelf wondering why I couldn't pull it out. Turns out that the character might be a kickboxing, murder solving, love machine but he CAN'T CARRY TWO BOOKS AT THE SAME TIME!!! I had to go down three floors and have him put the book on the table so he could carry the one book I needed to the story keeper. I turned it off in disgust after that. But I've told myself that I need to finish it to see what this ending that everyone talks about. But I just couldn't take it anymore after that last night. More to come I'm sure.

Kevin

I really enjoyed this game and since adventure games are rare these days I'd say this is one of the best ones. I also think Dreamfall is pretty awesome but if you play that one make sure to have beaten The Longest Journey first.

ronito said:
lol. I just did those last night. Freaking piece of crap segments!!! If I have to hear "Stop right there or I'll shoot!" just one more time. Then when I finally got to the freaking kids they started calling me retarded, Fine then,
I left them blow up with the hangar
. I was in no mood to save their sorry fat butts after all that. I know it'll catch up to me in the game later somehow, but I don't care. I enjoyed letting them die.

And then to follow it up I have the whole bookstore thing. I figured out where the book I need was in about 5 minutes, but then 30-45 minutes in front of the shelf wondering why I couldn't pull it out. Turns out that the character might be a kickboxing, murder solving, love machine but he CAN'T CARRY TWO BOOKS AT THE SAME TIME!!! I had to go down three floors and have him put the book on the table so he could carry the one book I needed to the story keeper. I turned it off in disgust after that. But I've told myself that I need to finish it to see what this ending that everyone talks about. But I just couldn't take it anymore after that last night. More to come I'm sure.
Exact. Same. Problems. Though, I did keep replaying that ****ing military base just to save everyone...the camera angles were not kind in that segment.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Indigo Prophecy: A good game when you don't know what's going on. When you find out, you realize it's stupid and wish you had never found out.

eXistor

Okay game, liked a lot of the things it was going for, but yeah, the story gets lame and unbelievable and I didn´t care at all for the button-press sequences which litter the game.

Yay for cool ideas
Nay for mediocre execution.

haha. man, everyone said some great stuff in their respective posts.

i just finished the game tonite and i agree with a lot of what everyone said.

i really appreciated the new things they attempted in this game as far as the story-telling, the direction, the balancing of the emotions, etc. also, some of the graphics tricks were really cool (!) such as the mites and the angels, etc. i wish i could have seen what the hell was going on during some of the heavier action/simon sez sequences, but at least there's a bonus option.

speaking of which, there's multiple endings...i got the
one under the tree
. i tried to "continue" after already having beaten the game to try and get the other endings, but it looks like it auto-saved over?

but yea. this game started super, super strong for me, but ended in a kind of sigh. although that's really not accounting for my overall experience, which i really enjoyed. i look forward to the ps3 game.

ronito

Sigh this game started so great. But the whole stupid fetch stuff ruined it for me. I mean a character's running for his life and the best thing they can think to have him do is feed a bird, push an old lady around and then find some candles and a match to light them oh and don't forget to close the curtains that's very important to blind lady. I loved the concept but this ended up being 60% dud to me.

PS: Note to game developers: If I want to sort books I'll volunteer at a library. No reason to include that in your games.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I couldn't even finish it. Didn't know that the difficulty gets harder depending on how well you do on the puzzles... so when it came to the final chapter, as you're going in, I couldn't get the bar even half way and I was jamming the damn buttons as hard as possible.

Hayami

Banned
The first chapter is one of the most amazing game experiences I've ever had. Still had an enjoyable time with the rest of the game--highly recommended.

Top Bottom