• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Kimi no na wa (Your Name) Such a beautiful movie...

Just finished watching it, and as i try to compose my thoughts a bit, i'm still amazed at what i saw.

First of all, the beautiful artstyle and animation. I was constantly surprised at how gorgeous every scene was. Every "shot" was vibrantly colored, harmonious, balanced, and perfectly conveyed the mood. The use of light in every scenario was incredible, being interested in art myself, i really felt like you could take any second from the movie and hang it on a wall. That's how great it was.

Loved the contrast between the beautiful, sacred, nature-connected town and the always changing, dynamic city of Tokyo. Even though it's not a "fresh" concept by itself, the execution here was sublime.

Some gifs/pictures:

original.gif

your-name-day-timelapse-under-2mb-1.gif

shinkai-wanks-it-to-scenery-and-you-shouldnt-judge-him-for-it.jpg

Secondly, the OST. The score and the songs were used in perfect moments and the lyrics and melodies fitted pretty well with the mood and feel of the movie. The japanese rock band RADWIMPS did an amazing job. Personal favourite is: "Nandemonaiya" ("It's Nothing")

Everything in the movie feels like it was carefully, precisely crafted to portray emotion in a certain way, and it's effective. It doesn't feel afraid of making you laugh, cheer or cry. The visual and musical stimuli work together to take you there, it really is a delight to the senses. It's dramatic, it's honest, it's just beautiful work.

I wasn't really expecting this. In terms of plot, i didn't know about
the time traveling stuff
but IMO was handled quite well, specially with the mysticism associated. Those traditional rites and the string symbolism was so interesting. Would love to know more.

All that said, i feel it's probably top3 of my favourites movies ever.

Any thoughts on it?

Tanis

It deserves all the praise it got in regards to it's visuals. I'm not sure that there is a more technically proficient anime movie out there.

I adored the story up to the last half an hour or so. They really drag out the inevitable ending. Also concept of memory loss really rubs me the wrong way.

I'd really like to see this concept as a TV series. I liked the idea that they were both better at running each others lives and wanted to see it explored more.

And they stole half the storyline from the movie Timescape!

It deserves all the praise it got in regards to it's visuals. I'm not sure that there is a more technically proficient anime movie out there.

I adored the story up to the last half an hour or so. They really drag out the inevitable ending. Also concept of memory loss really rubs me the wrong way.

I'd really like to see this concept as a TV series. I liked the idea that they were both better at running each others lives and wanted to see it explored more.

And they stole half the storyline from the movie Timescape!

Oh i didn't think they dragged the ending, tbh. The way they kept us wandering about what happened was effective. To be honest
i thought Mitsuha and the others didn't make it again when we see the strike for the second time
so it was a nice surprise.

Trace

Banned
Fantastic movie but I agree with Tanis that I would have loved to see the concept as maybe a 12 episode TV series. Could have fleshed out the world and characters more and kept the body switching gag going for a few episodes.

Theodoricos

Gorgeous visuals, but disappointing characters and story after the amazing Garden of Words and 5 Centimeters Per Second.

The characters in particular looked like they were taken from your average anime romance series.

MadeULook

I'm excited to see it again once the Blu-ray comes out next month. Had a great time seeing it in the theater.

Movie is worth watching just for its technical merits alone but the story was just okay. Certainly better than Shinkai's previous works but the ending didn't really jell with me for some reason. I'd have to rewatch it though so I can refresh my memory on it first.

Vibed

I absolutely adore this movie. Just rewatched it with my girl last weekend, and her, having little experience with anime, loved it too and thought it looked gorgeous.

If I had one complaint, its that they could've been a little less heavy handed with their messages/storytelling.

You guys, be sure to watch A Silent Voice if you haven't already

I'm going to see A Silent Voice next week in theaters in the US. It is having a theater run in select places in the upcoming week. The Saturday viewing was completely sold in my area, and the next (and last) showing only had the front row open (luckily it is an Alamo Drafthouse and front row seats are still good).

I actually watched this movie during the start of this week! Just going to quote my writeup from the AnimeGAF OT.

Kimi no Na Wa / Your Name

Masterpiece film and deserves every bit of hype it gets (yes even including beating out Spirited Away). Animation was beautiful, landscape shots were beautiful, combined with RADWIMPS heavy development within the film itself having their songs hit key animated moments, everything is great and the film truly deserves to be viewed in BR/the big screen, which is what I was finally able to do.

Story-wise the film is easy to understand tackling the simple themes of destined lovers and sense of misplaced longing. And while I would prefer the former to be the focus (because I'm trash for romance like that), I'm really glad the film is majorly focused on the latter.

The best way I can summarize the film is that it's a "modern fairy tale" bringing fantastical elements and grounding them into reality, and that I utterly adore.

For anyone who hasn't watched it yet, this film deserves to be watched on BluRay/HighDefinition/Big Screen. Landscape shots are beautiful and so is the animation.

Best Shinkai film. I saw it with the girlfriend in the theatre. It was an amazing experience. So many moments where the whole room laughed. Like the last time we see the guy in the girl's body grabbing his(her) breasts in comfort, and the little sister repeating over and over "she's fucking's crazy".

I saw it subbed, by the way. I'm not sure if there was a dub somewhere.

Deeda

Watched this in the theatre with my boyfriend and absolutely loved it. We both cried at the same time. Would love to watch it again. This movie still doesn't top Wolf Children.

Wow, OP. I just rewatched this today for the first time.

Was just as good as the first time. Absolutely phenomenal film and a rare one that doesn't suffer from spoilers on repeated attempts.

Ctlead

Banned
Best Shinkai film. I saw it with the girlfriend in the theatre. It was an amazing experience. So many moments where the whole room laughed. Like the last time we see the guy in the girl's body grabbing his(her) breasts in comfort, and the little sister repeating over and over "she's fucking's crazy".

I saw it subbed, by the way. I'm not sure if there was a dub somewhere.

Yeah, there's a dub. It's really great imo.

kewlmyc

Great movie. Have it preordered. Weak as hell that Funi can't get the 4K release over in the west. Same with Shin Godizilla (also none of the cool making of extras that were in the JP release).

They've been dropping the ball a lot lately.

Such a great movie, although I can agree that the plot does not have great depth.

Soundtrack was in my car's CD player pretty often. Needed to take a break before I watch the movie next month on le bluray. Unusual Change of Two is one of my favorite tracks. And I gotta plug Mitsuha's version of this song.

I'm glad I didn't watch 5cm Per Second before seeing this, because that would've dampened my interest.

Scavenger

Definitely my favorite Makoto Shinkai film, although I haven't seen 'Voices of a Distant Star' and 'Children Who Chase Lost Voices' yet.

I've seen 'Your Name' at a Film Festival in March, on Blu-ray and I will probably go see it again next week in the cinema. It's finally getting a regular theatrical release in the Netherlands and the distributor is putting some real effort in the release.

Great movie. Have it preordered. Weak as hell that Funi can't get the 4K release over in the west. Same with Shin Godizilla (also none of the cool making of extras that were in the JP release).

They've been dropping the ball a lot lately.
You could buy the Hong Kong 4K UHD, but it doesn't have the dub.

Beautiful movie. Loved everything about it. When I first saw it I thought it was kind of obvious how it all played out (I had read the log line beforehand) but after more thought I feel like that shouldn't matter. Yes it hit beats I knew it would hit but that didn't make it any less engaging and pretty to look at and listen to.

Busaiku

Im waiting for the US BR release to see it as I prefer a good dub now over subs
It was released in theaters in English.
It was great, I liked it more than in Japanese. However, Radwimps sound much better in Japanese.
Hopefully we get that option in the BR.

Hexa

One of the most incredible films I've ever seen. It was amazing and perfect in so many ways.

Tuck

11/10 movie. If not more. My favorite film of the 2010s so far.
I don't see how it can be better than perfect when there's a massive plot hole right in the middle of the story. I loved the film in spite of that, but it was a big issue.

juicyb

One of my favorite anime movies of all time. Absolutely loved it and was thrown for a loop at the time twist. Didnt expect that at all.

It's pretty superficial though since
the two main characters never actually meet each other until the end.

Lol, it's the opposite of superficial. They fell in love without even seeing each other, just based on personality and their lives and interactions. Only internal stuff.

Firemind

And? What does that have to do with the film having a good emotional core? Also you're wrong they do meet prior to that.
He literally falls in love with her during that moment, despite never actually knowing her. He ends up doing what he thinks is right, not because they have a special bond or anything, but because it's the right thing to do. That's superficial.

Lol, it's the opposite of superficial. They fell in love without even seeing each other, just based on personality and their lives and interactions. Only internal stuff.
That's not how it works. They don't get to know each other when they possess each other. They're themselves. The only way to interact is with their phones leaving messages.

iFirez

Looking forward to the blu-ray release in a week or two. I watched it originally with subs, I wonder how the dub is as I plan on embracing it with open arms once I have the blu-ray.

Yohane

I'm going to see A Silent Voice next week in theaters in the US. It is having a theater run in select places in the upcoming week. The Saturday viewing was completely sold in my area, and the next (and last) showing only had the front row open (luckily it is an Alamo Drafthouse and front row seats are still good).

Enjoy!

Jindrael

Banned
Your name is a fantastic movie and deserves all the praise it gets.

And I'm just going to echo what was already said and also recommend everybody to watch "A Silent Voice (koe no katachi)".

Both are the best films I have seen in a while but I still love Silent Voice just a tad more than Your Name

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
He literally falls in love with her during that moment, despite never actually knowing her. He ends up doing what he thinks is right, not because they have a special bond or anything, but because it's the right thing to do. That's superficial.

That's not how it works. They don't get to know each other when they possess each other. They're themselves. The only way to interact is with their phones leaving messages.

They learned about each other based off living each other's lives, interacting with their families and friends, and learning their histories and their worlds all the while running a gamut of emotions through the catastrophe. They grew to know each other on a far deeper and personal level than most characters in love stories. I found it the opposite of superficial.

Top Bottom