• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Mafia

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
mafia-definitive-edition-playstation-4-analise-gaming-mafia-definitive-edition-playstation-4-analise-gaming.jpeg

Mafia is deservingly so its own franchise, all sorts of gangster games are out there. You’re in and out of buildings, cars, motivated by money and today mafia feels good in terms of the open world situations, the missions, getting to know the city.

mafia iii loop GIF

The beauty of the city.

Mafia has a lot in common with Grand Theft Auto and to some degree Yakuza not necessarily the world but something’s like dialogues, taking heat from cops etc. again fair weather gamers will feel comfortable here.

GIF by Le Figaro

There’s a few good cutscenes you obviously have to skip many.

IMG-2210.jpg

76 is low for an amazing game. I got to give it a 90 the most fun I’ve had with a open world third person shooter gangster game.

The gunplay is a pleasure (shotgun, tommy gun) the graphics are amazing and without trying to diminish 2K the cutscenes could be trimmed Tommy Angelo is easy to nip pick.

What did GAF think of Mafia?

Played the first game and found it to be extremely overrated in my opinion, I can't believe people thought it was on par with GTA III. The city is absolutely bland with no major activities or reasons to explore, the characters are a pure caricature of mob movies and don't get me started on that awful race. That being said it has a much better combat system than GTA III with some realistically modelled weapons in the game and the extra challenges were interesting to explore. On the whole Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven is a good sandbox title and worth checking out.
You've got the wrong good Mafia game

c1UH1GH.jpg
That's the same one I was talking about above.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Played the first game and found it to be extremely overrated in my opinion, I can't believe people thought it was on par with GTA III. The city is absolutely bland with no major activities or reasons to explore, the characters are a pure caricature of mob movies and don't get me started on that awful race. That being said it has a much better combat system than GTA III with some realistically modelled weapons in the game and the extra challenges were interesting to explore. On the whole Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven is a good sandbox title and worth checking out.

That's the same one I was talking about above.
Oh man, you didnt like the original?

It felt like a true pc game, all the nuances in it that you'd never get from console games back then.

Oh man, you didnt like the original?

It felt like a true pc game, all the nuances in it that you'd never get from console games back then.
Who said I didn't like it? I said the game on the whole was somewhat overrated and had some major flaws, but they absolutely nailed the combat system and extra challenges.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Who said I didn't like it? I said the game on the whole was somewhat overrated and had some major flaws, but they absolutely nailed the combat system and extra challenges.
Saying it's overrated generally means you didnt favour it, hence my off the cuff comment of you not liking it?

Sorry to offend.

I wish they'd done a 1-1 remake but it is what it is. I wonder where they'll go for Mafia 4.

Saying it's overrated generally means you didnt favour it, hence my off the cuff comment of you not liking it?

Sorry to offend.

I wish they'd done a 1-1 remake but it is what it is. I wonder where they'll go for Mafia 4.
I'm not offended, I meant it was overrated in comparison to GTA III. Many naturally compared the two as they were very similar, but Mafia isn't on the same level in my opinion.

Brigandier

Original mafia was by far the best, Voice acting was better in the original and the game didn't hold your hand at all.

It was my first pc game too so nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Senua

OG Mafia by Illusion softworks is GOAT, immersive sim elements, guns with mad recoil and realism (reload by accident after shooting a bullet and lose the whole clip...DOH!). It gets insanely challenging toward the end, that last mission always takes me a handful of tries!

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wonder how many of those negative reviews were from some retards who stubbornly think that a 20-year-old janky ass game that's about as fun to play today as sticking your dick into a wall socket was somehow better than this. It's one of the best damn remakes I've ever played, fully retaining (and in a lot of ways improving on) an amazing story and atmosphere while modernizing the gameplay to make the game actually fun to play.

It's a game that easily deserves a 9/10 in my opinion.

Last edited:

Senua

I wonder how many of those negative reviews were from some retards who stubbornly think that a 20-year-old janky ass game that's about as fun to play today as sticking your dick into a wall socket was somehow better than this. It's one of the best damn remakes I've ever played, fully retaining (and in a lot of ways improving on) an amazing story and atmosphere while modernizing the gameplay to make the game actually fun to play.

You have the worst opinions on this forum

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ahhh the bad Mafia. For a moment there I thought you were talking about the oiginal.
Well... the remake is an OK game but:
-they ruined Tommy. He is now a gruffy gangster with a smirk and asshole voice from the get go. The whole idea of original game was to have a normal person/taxi driver poor guy as a gangster. Here Tommy is already happy to be a gangster from the start.
-Paulies face
-Terrible music
-Terible shooting
+Great graphics aside from characters
+Pretty cool driving model and cars + bikes
+Better pacing than the original but I really liked the slow movement of original game too

We were once Bloober brothers, but now we must part ways. The original game was fun to play because the combat system was solid overall and the missions had some variety. Getting a speeding ticket was annoying and having to lockpick every single car was a chore, but it did ground the world in reality somewhat. Of course a remake is going to do things so much better because it's a remake dude, by principle it has to better designed than the original product. I haven't played it and I would probably enjoy it more than the original, but it looks like a shiny dick to me dude with no substance and only a new lick of paint.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I played the original and enjoyed the story and the music.

The OPs first sentence is some word salad.

skit_data

Played the original back in the early 00s. I remember playing the free roam mode a lot, finding all kinds of wierd hidden stuff and I really liked the story a lot. Played the remake quite recently and was a little let down because it didn’t feel quite as magical as that first time.

Still a good game though and I preferred the driving in the remake quite a lot because in the original you died instantly the car wad flipped over which happened more often than in the remake.

SeraphJan

Mafia games are amazing story driven games, as long as you don't look at it from an open world mechanic lenses.

Play it for the story not the mechanic, set the expectation correctly to get the best enjoyment out of it

To be honest this franchise would have worked even better if its linear

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
We were once Bloober brothers, but now we must part ways. The original game was fun to play because the combat system was solid overall and the missions had some variety. Getting a speeding ticket was annoying and having to lockpick every single car was a chore, but it did ground the world in reality somewhat. Of course a remake is going to do things so much better because it's a remake dude, by principle it has to better designed than the original product. I haven't played it and I would probably enjoy it more than the original, but it looks like a shiny dick to me dude with no substance and only a new lick of paint.
But how can you be sure if you haven't played it?

Personally, I'd rather they streamline some of the more tedious bollocks if it means having a better-paced game. IMO they did a good job of recreating the important stuff like the story and atmosphere. And without spoiling anything, certain key aspects of the story that were a bit undercooked in the original were properly fleshed out here, which is a good thing.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'm not offended, I meant it was overrated in comparison to GTA III. Many naturally compared the two as they were very similar, but Mafia isn't on the same level in my opinion.
Yeah gta 3 was a cracker too. Damn thing wrecked my ps2 drive though, i dread to think how many hours i'd spent on it.

But how can you be sure if you haven't played it?

Personally, I'd rather they streamline some of the more tedious bollocks if it means having a better-paced game. IMO they did a good job of recreating the important stuff like the story and atmosphere. And without spoiling anything, certain key aspects of the story that were a bit undercooked in the original were properly fleshed out here, which is a good thing.
I wasn't talking about the remake, I was talking about your criticism of the original being "as fun to play today as sticking your dick into a wall socket" and why I disagree. It's as though you're applying today's standards on something that's over 2 decades old and you can't do that on principle because it doesn't work. Judge the game for what it was in 2002, I understand that isn't really possible unless you played it back then, but it's the only viable method of critique. By 2002's standards Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven was a good game that played well, but it could not compete with GTA III that came out a year earlier.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wasn't talking about the remake, I was talking about your criticism of the original being "as fun to play today as sticking your dick into a wall socket" and why I disagree. It's as though you're applying today's standards on something that's over 2 decades old and you can't do that on principle because it doesn't work. Judge the game for what it was in 2002, I understand that isn't really possible unless you played it back then, but it's the only viable method of critique. By 2002's standards Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven was a good game that played well, but it could not compete with GTA III that came out a year earlier.
Oh don't worry, I played a lot of that game back it back in the day but I always hated some of the more janky aspects of it. I only pushed through it because I liked the story and some of the immersive aspects, but the combat always seemed cheap and janky and the car traversal was slow and annoying due to overzealous police. It's amusing how everyone gushes over how realistic the gunplay was in the original while half the time you'd be caught crab-walking because it was the surest way of avoiding gunfire and reducing recoil. But it just looked so stupid. Can you imagine watching Goodfellas and every time someone pulled a gun they'd be like:
crab-crab-walk.gif

Like, I get it, nostalgia is a powerful feeling. But in this case, I welcomed the changes to the gameplay because it was just more enjoyable to play.

I played Mafia 2 first, way back on the Xbox 360, and really enjoyed it but there wasn't much to do outside the missions.

Mafia 3 was.... okay but got incredibly repetitive.

I played the Mafia remake more recently and the storyline was good, but the shooting controls were absolutely awful. I was glad when it was over.

amigastar

I played Mafia 2 first, way back on the Xbox 360, and really enjoyed it but there wasn't much to do outside the missions.

Mafia 3 was.... okay but got incredibly repetitive.

I played the Mafia remake more recently and the storyline was good, but the shooting controls were absolutely awful. I was glad when it was over.
If they would have made interesting missions the game would have been awesome but as it is it was very repetitive.

Denton

I played both back when they came out and found Mafia vastly superior. It has vastly more advanced graphics and physics, much more interesting and elaborate missions, infinitely more emotional story and ending. It is more simulationist and less arcadey, which I also prefer.

I still loved GTA3, mind. But it never had an impact like Mafia did.

And the remake is good, but original is still better.

Oh don't worry, I played a lot of that game back it back in the day but I always hated some of the more janky aspects of it. I only pushed through it because I liked the story and some of the immersive aspects, but the combat always seemed cheap and janky and the car traversal was slow and annoying due to overzealous police. It's amusing how everyone gushes over how realistic the gunplay was in the original while half the time you'd be caught crab-walking because it was the surest way of avoiding gunfire and reducing recoil. But it just looked so stupid. Can you imagine watching Goodfellas and every time someone pulled a gun they'd be like:
crab-crab-walk.gif

Like, I get it, nostalgia is a powerful feeling. But in this case, I welcomed the changes to the gameplay because it was just more enjoyable to play.
You absolute dick lol, why'd you do me like that with the gif? I played it on PC myself and found the combat to be good, because it was grounded in reality as Tommy crouches down to avoid fire. I also loved how he spins the weapons around whenever you swap a new one from the ground, plus it reduces recoil like you mentioned. The cars on the other hand are supposed to be slow and annoying, it is set in the 1930s dude so you take what you can get.
I played both back when they came out and found Mafia vastly superior. It has vastly more advanced graphics and physics, much more interesting and elaborate missions, infinitely more emotional story and ending. It is more simulationist and less arcadey, which I also prefer.

I still loved GTA3, mind. But it never had an impact like Mafia did.

And the remake is good, but original is still better.
Strongly disagree with some of these points Denton. Mafia isn't "vastly" superior to GTA III, but it does do some things much better. It does have better graphics and physics, but the missions are in absolutely no way as memorable than III's. I honestly cannot remember most of them, except the restaurant shootout, the airport escape and the racing mission. The characters aren't engaging because they're mobster cardboard cut-outs with no characterization. The one moment where I felt something was when Paulie and you are on the train and he talks about how jealous he is because you have a wife and child and how he wants that.

Not to mention how the ending is incredibly stupid, with an elderly Tommy seeing two gruff and shady characters approaching him and not seeing the obvious. "Are you Tommy Angelo?", "Ermm... yes?" *BLASTTT!!!*. I also found how some of the grounded and more realistic aspects of the game often came as a detriment to the overall experience. Crouching down to reduce recoil and fire was amazing, but going 1mph over the speed limit and then having 2 cop cars on your ass was annoying as fuck, the speed-limiter was a must. There were no viable side missions and Lost Heaven on the whole was bland and lifeless. Between the two games GTA: III was much better aside from the combat and graphics.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You absolute dick lol, why'd you do me like that with the gif? I played it on PC myself and found the combat to be good, because it was grounded in reality as Tommy crouches down to avoid fire. I also loved how he spins the weapons around whenever you swap a new one from the ground, plus it reduces recoil like you mentioned. The cars on the other hand are supposed to be slow and annoying, it is set in the 1930s dude so you take what you can get.
I mean, sure, I get what they were going for with that game. The same guy who directed Mafia would later go on to make Kingdom Come Deliverance so obviously it's someone who'd rather prioritize realism and immersion over player convenience. And I can respect that. But at the end of the day, I just wanna have a good time playing a third person shooter inspired by one of my favorite genres in cinema and with a baller-ass story. So I'd rather play the remake these days and I thought they did a really great job with it, that's all.

Ozzie666

The original was amazing at the time. The story, the end and that after credits ending were fantastic. The rap song that plays as well, stuck in my head to this day. It's one of those games like Mass Effect where I walked away and went 'wow', that was top tier story telling.

I remember the frustration of that Race and finally beating it. One of those Mike Tyson moments in gaming.

That ending is still amazing.

Top Bottom