• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Mega Man III (Game Boy)

(Note -- GB Mega Man games use Roman numerals in their titles. NES ones use Arabic numerals. The first Game Boy game's full name is Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge, so I may call it that sometimes.)

Mega Man III - Game Boy
Capcom, 1992

Mega Man III is a fantastic game. All five of the Game Boy Mega Man games are good, but the second one was by far the weakest. Mega Man II was quite easy, bland, had poor music for a Mega Man game, and more. Mega Man III is a massive improvement from the second game, and in addition to setting the series up for its greatest heights in Mega Man IV and Mega Man V, is a great game in its own right.

I got the game a few days ago when I ran across a loose copy locally for $4, which is well under the game's EBay price of $10-20. This makes the game more expensive than the pretty cheap Mega Man I and II, both of which had Million Seller re-releases while the later three games did not, but cheaper than the later titles. Mega Man IV goes for $20-40, and V $50 at least. The games are worth the cost, though, and really are some of the very best of the classic Mega Man titles. The fourth and fifth games are every bit as good as the NES games and better than some of them, and the first and third ones are great games as well.

As with all of the first four Game Boy Mega Man games, Mega Man III has four bosses each from two of the recent NES titles. In this case the game has four from Mega Man 3 and four from Mega Man 4. You fight the first four first, then play a small mini Wily level, then the second four, followed with the final Wily areas. As with all the titles, though, the level designs themselves are entirely new. Boss orders are not identical either. So the games are definitely not just ports. No one should skip them just because the level bosses are not new through the first four Game Boy Mega Man games.

So, Mega Man III. I played a lot of MM I, II, and IV on the GB years back, but never did play MM III, so the game is mostly new to me. Well, it's amazing, better than I was expecting even. It may not have all the features of Mega Man IV or V, such as the shop (first introduced in MMIV) or MMV's new gun and helper -- Tango the cat, who only shows up in MMV -- but it's just a fantastic Mega Man game, and that should be more than enough for anyone. From the graphics to the sound to the level designs, the game is exceptional. The game does have the charge shot like MM4, as well as the slide, so it has all the control features of the NES games that it takes bosses from. I love the charge shot and think Mega Man games are better with it, so this is definitely a good thing in my opinion. The bosses this time are Snake Man, Shadow Man, Spark Man, and Gemini Man from Mega Man 3 in the first set, and Dive Man, Skull Man, Dust Man, and Drill Man from Mega Man 4 in the second set. The story is inconsequential and mosty not present in the game, as the Game Boy Mega Man games do not have intro cutscenes, but evidently involves Dr. Wily building an oil platform and trying to extract oil for some evil purposes, backed up with rebuilt versions of some defeated robots, so you have to stop him. That's all you need, an excuse to go after Wily and his robots again. The story's just fine, Mega Man games do not really need plots. :)

First, the graphics. The game looks fantastic, as all the Game Boy Mega Man games do. It does have slowdown, significant slowdown at times, but Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge had bad flicker, and evidently Capcom decided that slowdown was preferable to flicker. They are probably right about that, but it's clear that there was still some optimization left to do. Particularly, there is usually slowdown when you're charging your Mega Buster, and you do that a lot. It can be distracting sometimes. I believe that the fourth and fifth games do have less slowdown, but I'd need to play them again to be sure. The sprites, backgrounds, enemies, and everything look great though. Many elements return from the past GB MM games of course, but new things are added, and it all looks quite good. You get used to the slowdown eventually and it doesn't hurt the game too much, but it is worth mentioning.

The sound is at least as good. Coming after MMII's pretty disappointing soundtrack Capcom had some work to do, but they do it here -- Mega Man III has a a fantastic soundtrack. The versions of the music themes from MM3 and MM4 are fantastic and sound very much like the original NES versions. Just great stuff! I don't know what more to say but that it's really, really good, and the music is very catchy and addictive, as good Mega Man music always is. This is great Game Boy music.

The gameplay is classic Mega Man. Run and shoot your way through challenging levels as you try to beat bosses. You can play the bosses in each set in any order, and get a weapon from each one that will make one other one easier, so you have to figure out the best order. The Game Boy games cut back on the difficulty of this a bit by breaking things into two sets of four (or one set of four with just teleporters for the second four, in MMI's case), but you still need to figure out the best order. The weapons are interesting as always. It's interesting to be able to use the charge shot in levels from bosses from MM3, which of course did not have it. As I said above the game uses a similar formula to the past Game Boy Mega Man games, with two sets of four bosses, but this time the mini Wily Fortress in between the two sets was added. That fortress may be short, but it's great to have, and the feature would return in MMIV. There are no special items to collect as MMIV has (BEAT and WILY letters, P points to buy items with), so it's a more straightforward game, but that just reflects the style of the NES games, so that can't really be considered a negative. Original bosses may have been nice, but I never minded the returning bosses in the Game Boy Mega Man games. It was cool that the fifth game had all-new bosses, but really the first four shouldn't be considered much worse just because they don't. It's kind of cool to see all-new stages with the same graphical themes as the NES originals, and to hear the NES versions of the bosses' music tracks.

Now, difficulty. Mega Man games have often been challenging, of course, but the second Game Boy Mega Man game is the easiest MM game I have ever played (I beat it in under two hours the first time I ever played it... and it wasn't very hard along the way.), so again they had some work to do here. They do it -- this game is tough. It's not impossible, and isn't as hard as a Mega Man & Bass or Mega Man Zero game or something, but it's a real challenge, easily on par or beyond the difficulty of the NES games despite being a little shorter, as all the GB games are (smaller screen size, large Mega Man sprite, fewer Wily levels...). They may be shorter, but II excepted, they sure aren't easier. For instance in terms of the number of levels or screens MMI is the shortest Mega Man game ever, but it's pretty difficult even so. I'm not sure that MM III quite hits the level of frustration of the end parts of MMI, but it's a challenging game and I've found myself dying quite a few times in some parts. The only checkpoints in the levels are the beginning, midpoint, and end when you reach the boss, and you restart the level when you get game over, so you will be sent back upon death, and it can sometimes be frustrating. Dive Man's level here is quite a bit harder than the NES Dive Man level, for instance... There are a lot of tricky jumps in this game. It should be doable for anyone good at 8-bit Mega Man, though, and it's always a fun challenge that keeps me going back. This is, I would say, one of the "hard levels, moderate bosses" Mega Man games, because indeed, the bosses themselves are usually not as much of a problem as the levels, particularly if you have the right weapon. Getting there at all is the challenge. Overall I would say that the difficulty level is very well balanced, being just hard enough to provide a challenge for many gamers, but no so easy that it gets boring as MMII did and not so hard that it gets extremely frustrating and many people end up giving up, as with some more recent MM games like MM&B, MM Zero, or MM X6.

Overall, Mega Man III is a great game. Mega Man IV and V are even better, but this game shouldn't be overlooked -- it's a fantastic game too, and one that any classic Mega Man game should definitely play. Also, while you will most likely spend more for it than I did, even on EBay it's much cheaper than Mega Man IV or V are. The lower price should make it a bit more accessible than those games. I'd definitely recommend any Mega Man fan play it, and the first, fourth, and fifth Game Boy Mega Man games as well. All four are fantastic. II is the worst though, perhaps play it but don't expect it to last long or be as good as the others. Anyway though, overall the Game Boy had some great Mega Man games, and it's too bad that they stopped making them for the six years between Mega Man V's release in 1994 and Mega Man Xtreme's in 2000. Yes, Xtreme is an original GB game -- it's a dual-mode Game Boy and Game Boy Color game, and as usual for such games the GBC mode is just the original GB game, but colorized. 2001's Mega Man Xtreme 2 was GBC-only, but the first one was not. Unfortunately, though, both just recycle not just the bosses but the entire original MMX1-X3 levels instead of designing new stages,so they are not nearly as interesting games as the five classic series GB Mega Man titles.

Anyway, in conclusion, Mega Man III is great. I had always somewhat overlooked it, thinking that "I don't know if I care about that one, it doesn't have the stuff of Mega Man IV or V so I don't know if it's worth seeking out", but now I'd say that I definitely should have. It's a very good game that's a huge amount of fun to play.

If I was giving it a score, 88% I guess. Going by the classic mid '90s PC Gamer scale that I've always preferred, that makes it an Editor's Choice. :p (I know, later they changed the bar to 90%... but B+ seems good enough to deserve something too, I think...)

Sanic

A Black Falcon said:
Mega Man III is a fantastic game. All five of the Game Boy Mega Man games are good, but the second one was by far the weakest. Mega Man II was quite easy, bland, had poor music for a Mega Man game, and more. Mega Man III is a massive improvement from the second game, and in addition to setting the series up for its greatest heights in Mega Man IV and Mega Man V, is a great game in its own right.

I beg to differ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg_dYl8NZf8&feature=related

AREN'T YOU PUMPED TO TAKE ON WILY!?!?!

sorry I can't contribute to your lengthy post in a more meaningful way, the only GB incarnation I've played is II.

This was my most played Mega Man game as a kid. Never actually owned any of the NES ones, just rented them every now and then but played the shit out of this and loved it. Completely faithful to the NES version if my memory serves me.

Pandoracell said:
I beg to differ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg_dYl8NZf8&feature=related

AREN'T YOU PUMPED TO TAKE ON WILY!?!?!

sorry I can't contribute to your lengthy post in a more meaningful way, the only GB incarnation I've played is II.

Sorry, but Mega Man II has by far the worst music of the five classic series GB Mega Man games. It's really not even close. Here are a few examples picked somewhat at random...

III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UOKkCW9vg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7mVRaRN1t4

IV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVp3MQAGqUI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUvO_-M2b0

V (the only one with Super Game Boy enhancements and entirely original bosses)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6seEURWx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg7sNwuffvY

MMII for GB is an okay game that on its own would probably be considered okay to good. The problem is, it looks a lot worse compared to the other games in the series. It's just kind of disappointing compared to the other games, in my opinion. It's too easy, and the not-as-good music doesn't help either. If they were trying to solve the first game's flicker problems... well, I'll take some flicker or slowdown if it means getting a decent challenge, as long as it's bearable... and it is, I'd say, in the rest of the GB MM games. (Not to mention that after III they do improve on it a bit)

polyh3dron said:
This was my most played Mega Man game as a kid. Never actually owned any of the NES ones, just rented them every now and then but played the shit out of this and loved it. Completely faithful to the NES version if my memory serves me.

Well, if by "completely faithful" you mean "completely different levels that just happen to have similar graphical themes and the same music and final boss", then yes... but otherwise, no, it's a different game. :)

As I say in the review, while Mega Man I, II, III, and IV on GB all reuse NES game bosses, music, enemy sprites, and graphical themes for the levels, none reuse the actual NES levels. All of the levels are entirely new. The large character sprites and small screen give the games a different character, too. It was always tricky with the GB, either shrink your sprites to fit a lot on the screen, such as with Mario Land 1, or make them large to put in more detail, like the Mega Man games or Mario Land 2 to name a few. The latter became the more common way, but it does have the downside of not allowing much on each screen. While in many cases this resulted in much easier games than were seen on major consoles, in Mega Man's case they compensate by making the obstacles tougher, so aside from MMII the games are just as hard as any of the NES games. Heck, aside from II they may even be harder... don't underestimate them because they're on an old handheld! Compared to stuff like the GB Mario/Wario games, that's saying something. Now, some of those Mario and Wario games are some of my favorite games on the Game Boy, but still, Mario Land 2 and Wario Land aren't that hard. What the Mega Man games accomplish is pretty impressive.

It's definitely really too bad that that GBA collection of all five titles never happened, it would have been fantastic to have a cheaper and easier to find release of these games. MM III through V aren't easy to find and get progressively more expensive with each game, as I said.

But yeah, they're definitely great games, and I agree that they're equal in quality to the NES games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MM 2 GB is a well acknowledged train wreck.

I disagree on your assessment of the two Xtreme games though, they are technological marvels and well worth a play on that merit alone.

How come Capcom related ports are always the most interesting? RE2 on the N64, the Extreme games, SFA2 on SNES, and what I consider the crown jewel of all ports, SFA3 on GBA. Sure the sprites are squished and some frames are cut, and yes, it is just two face and two shoulder buttons, but crickey, that's SFA3 on the Gameboy Advance!

Man God said:
MM 2 GB is a well acknowledged train wreck.

It's too bad, but true.

What's really too bad though is that II got the Million Seller re-release, while III, IV, and V did not, making them so much rarer than it is... more people deserve to have played the best games in the series. My younger cousins got Game Boys in the mid '90s for instance, and liked Mega Man so they got the ones they could find -- the Million Seller re-releases of the first two games. It's too bad that people like them were never able to play III through V. Their quality was recognized from the beginning, too, and the last time I remember seeing copies of IV and V used in Gamestop, maybe ten years ago, they were $40 and $50 respectively, cart only...

I disagree on your assessment of the two Xtreme games though, they are technological marvels and well worth a play on that merit alone.

Well, I guess so, but I was thinking that it makes them a lot less interesting when they're just the same game as the SNES, but on the handheld... the GB classic MM series have all new levels and some new features. That when they got around to doing a handheld X series they just cloned the SNES levels is definitely disappointing. Sure, I guess that they're pretty well done, and it's interesting to see the SNES games work so well on the Game Boy... but why not just play it on SNES, other than the "technical marvel" reason you give? With the classic GB series there are lots of reasons to play them regardless, but I just don't think that that's nearly as true with the Xtreme series.

Still, yes, Xtreme and Xtreme 2 are very good games, I wasn't saying anything against their quality. Just wishing that they hadn't just been ports. Even so, they are probably games I should play more than I have, sure.

How come Capcom related ports are always the most interesting? RE2 on the N64, the Extreme games, SFA2 on SNES, and what I consider the crown jewel of all ports, SFA3 on GBA. Sure the sprites are squished and some frames are cut, and yes, it is just two face and two shoulder buttons, but crickey, that's SFA3 on the Gameboy Advance!

Link's Awakening is much closer to LttP than LoZ, technologically, (and better than either in gameplay), I've always thought that that was pretty impressive... but yeah, Capcom has published some pretty interesting ports for sure.

(How about SFA1 on GBC? I've never played that one...)

We should probably also mention VF2 Genesis while we're talking about ridiculous fighting game ports, if it even counts.

Ditto on SFA3 GBA, not sure how or why they pulled it off. I remember the animation being exceptionally smooth.

... You know, there is something missing from my review... a proper statement of how incredibly hard Dust Man's level is. It's long, brutal, and crazy difficult. There's one 1-up a bit past halfway, but other than that you're on your own. There is as usual only one midway checkpoint. You have to go a long way to get there, and then it's a long way from there to the end. There are lots of those annoying pits with the enemies that endlessly fly up from them, lots of very difficult jumps with low ceilings or long distances to go where if you're not almost right on the edge of the platform you'll fall in the pit and die, a segment with a moving ceiling that can kill you (making me think of that level in X6...)... yeah, I died a lot, and it's quite frustrating when over and over you get sent way back for dying. Still, pretty interesting level...

The levels are not all hard, though. For instance, in the first set of four levels, I found Snake Man's level pretty hard, but one of the other ones was easy and I beat it without getting game over once. Not all of the levels are hard, but the hard ones definitely try their best to make up for that. Fantastic game though, for sure. Capcom put a lot of effort into these games and it shows.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can agree that MMII was the weakest installment on the GB, but I have a soft spot for the music. It sounds rather different than anything else else in the series and I actually thought many of the tracks were still very catchy in their own way. The tinny sound quality the game had gave it some sort of charm. :p

Come on, these are catchy (especially the first one)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ZtF_yq93c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mui46MbjHiE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwj-P1b2vZI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQio0HqHm0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTlnDJkx8rc&feature=related

Sanic

A Black Falcon said:
Sorry, but Mega Man II has by far the worst music of the five classic series GB Mega Man games

I know, I was kidding :). I wanna get around to playing II and IV someday, i'm sure i'll pick them up eventually.

dark10x said:
I can agree that MMII was the weakest installment on the GB, but I have a soft spot for the music. It sounds rather different than anything else else in the series and I actually thought many of the tracks were still very catchy in their own way. The tinny sound quality the game had gave it some sort of charm. :p

Come on, these are catchy (especially the first one)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ZtF_yq93c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mui46MbjHiE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwj-P1b2vZI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQio0HqHm0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTlnDJkx8rc&feature=related

Dear lord, what have they done? My ears! :(

Jigsaw

Banned
mm2 was my favourite game of the 5 (maybe because it was the first megaman game i have ever played,never got an nes)

as for the difficulty,mm5 was the easiest in the entire series for me,i bought it and was through in less than 4 hours

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Still have to play all of the GB games, but I have to say, I hope if capcom ever rereleases them, they call them Mega Man World # like they do in their art book. So much easier to tell the NES and GB series apart then.

As a huge Mega Man fan, the game boy games were like heaven sent for me. I played Dr. Wily's revenge so many times. Funny enough I acquired that game by trading Duck Tales to my friend for it, which was a tough game to part with. Yet it was worth it for portable Mega Man greatness! I kinda wish I still had Duck Tales though...

Chairhome

I never actually played any of the GB ones :-(. I wish they actually did make the GB collection for DS that they were planning around the same time as the NES collections.

someguyinahat said:
Dear lord, what have they done? My ears! :(

Yeah, how DID they manage to make the music sound so bad? None of the other Game Boy Mega Man games have music nearly that awful in quality!

Compare those to the videos I posted earlier and the difference should be pretty obvious. It was a huge, huge leap from that stuff to Mercury. I mean, while you're playing the game it's mostly tolerable, but when you compare it to anything else it doesn't stand up at all.

So yeah, it's great that that problem did not recur in Mega Man III. :)

Also, here's a Dust Man level video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLy6ZYhpMpE

Good review, I never had a chance to play a gameboy megaman.

The original Game Boy has a lot of good games, platformers especially, but the Mega Man games are definitely among the better games on the system. They're mostly very well designed, challenging, and fun games.

It definitely is really too bad that that GBA collection never happened. :(

Jigsaw said:
mm2 was my favourite game of the 5 (maybe because it was the first megaman game i have ever played,never got an nes)

as for the difficulty,mm5 was the easiest in the entire series for me,i bought it and was through in less than 4 hours

The Game Boy games are not the NES games. They're different, and just as much worth playing really. :)

As for length, I beat Mega Man II for the GB in under two hours the first time I ever played it. Easiest Mega Man game I've ever played. The other GB MM games, however, are much more difficult... MUCH more. :)

Scythesurge said:
As a huge Mega Man fan, the game boy games were like heaven sent for me. I played Dr. Wily's revenge so many times. Funny enough I acquired that game by trading Duck Tales to my friend for it, which was a tough game to part with. Yet it was worth it for portable Mega Man greatness! I kinda wish I still had Duck Tales though...

Yeah, that was a fantastic game too... I'd score it lower than III, IV, or V, certainly, because it's short, doesn't have enough levels, has really bad flicker, I like the slide and charge shot, it doesn't have the new elements like the shop and such, etc, but even so, it is still a pretty good game. I've played that one a lot over the years. :)

Top Bottom