• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lttp: nhl2k7 on the 360 is the best sports game evah

thirty

Banned
so this is my first week with my 360 and of all the demos i've downloaded, nhl2k7 is the most impressive. am i wrong in saying this is the best sports game ever created? i don't even like hockey but this game not only looked stunning, plays great, but is presented like no other sports game i've ever played before. i felt like i was going to war. as if the world depended on my hockey team winning.

Cold-Steel said:
07 is a better game by far.

2K7 screams last-generation controls.

07 Screams last gen everything else AI, Animation, Framerate. Stick control is great in 07 but real hockey fans prefer 2k7 IMO.

thirty

Banned
i'm loving 2k7's "cinemotion" feel, giving gaming that movie feel; dramatic music, no commentary, and pure intesity. i'd like to see this "cinemotion" incorporated in other sports games, that to me, have all become stale.

Treo360

Kabuki Waq said:
07 Screams last gen everything else AI, Animation, Framerate. Stick control is great in 07 but real hockey fans prefer 2k7 IMO.

QFT

Perhaps next year EA will get it right. Perhaps . . .

FightyF

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:

Y'know, every gamer that owns both agree with your points.

The only ones who claim otherwise of fanboys to the mEAx.

I agree, NHL 2K7 is the best sports game ever created. No other sport captures the AI, the movement, and the control better. 07 has better goalies though. :p

I have a video comparison review for both games coming out soon. Unfortunately for the last 2 weeks my PC is down and I've been too busy to get it back up. When it's back I'll edit and post away. I'm recording it in 1080i which is probably overkill :p

Shouldn't there be some sort of statute of limitations on LttP threads?!

Anyhoo, videoGaiden had an excellent comparison review of NHL07 and NHL 2K7 a couple of weeks ago. You can watch it there, although it may IP block those outside of the UK.

If that's the case, you can download the episode in question, here (it's episode two of series two).

I don't mean to usurp you or anything, FfF. Definitely interested in seeing your take on it :)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
NBA 2k7 is the best sports game ever... but 2nd best isn't so bad...

Wish they could do this with baseball..

FightyF

Banned
Crackerman16 said:
How's this game on the PS3? I'm thinking about getting it...

I don't know, haven't played it, but it has a sixaxis feature where you can check by shaking the controller (and I first thought they would make checking easier as a result but they haven't so that's good), and more importantly they got rid of that stupid assed fog! :)

giant_frying_pan: Thanks for the link!

Kingpen

Blackace said:
NBA 2k7 is the best sports game ever... but 2nd best isn't so bad...

Wish they could do this with baseball..

Both of them are the best sports game ever depending on your preference. They are so good, they are going to save me money next fall on next years versions as I will not buy them for mearly a roster update when I have this good of games....

pr0cs

I hope so because NHL 2K6 sucked ass, it didn't feel like hockey at all, VERY arcadey. I was really unimpressed, perhaps EA had brainwashed me with all their rehashes of FIFA and NHL.

FightyF

Banned
Kingpen said:
Both of them are the best sports game ever depending on your preference. They are so good, they are going to save me money next fall on next years versions as I will not buy them for mearly a roster update when I have this good of games....

I'd seriously reconsider that for NHL 2K8! :)

One thing they are going to focus on is goalies, which will change the game entirely, for the better (if they are as good as EA's).

The one reason why EA's game has gotten so much positive press is their goalies, really. Their AI and animations are great. If the 2K series can match that, it will be the best playing sports game ever. You really feel like you've beaten the goalie (not just positinally, like in 2K7) and that's why you often hear "the goals are rewarding" from amatuer players.

There is also another feature planned for future iterations of 2K which is multiple console online play (imagine 4 360 owners playing one game). I don't know if it will be in the next version though.

This info is from a Ben Bishop interview prior to the release of 2K7 btw.

thirty

Banned
glad to know it wasn't just me. again, i'm not even a hockey fan and for me to say this is the best sports game speaks very highly of the game. i think they can improve the player models for 2k8 and bring them to the quality of their nba counterpart.

what did you guys think of 2k7's "cinemotion" presentation?

Kingpen

Fight for Freeform said:
I'd seriously reconsider that for NHL 2K8! :)

One thing they are going to focus on is goalies, which will change the game entirely, for the better (if they are as good as EA's).

The one reason why EA's game has gotten so much positive press is their goalies, really. Their AI and animations are great. If the 2K series can match that, it will be the best playing sports game ever. You really feel like you've beaten the goalie (not just positinally, like in 2K7) and that's why you often hear "the goals are rewarding" from amatuer players.

There is also another feature planned for future iterations of 2K which is multiple console online play (imagine 4 360 owners playing one game). I don't know if it will be in the next version though.

This info is from a Ben Bishop interview prior to the release of 2K7 btw.

Yeah, I agree that if they can somehow improve the goalies to NHL07 level of animation, and also at least steal EA's idea about the skill stick for at least break aways, then it will be the best game ever... Oh, and do something with the fighting engine.

FightyF

Banned
Kingpen said:
Yeah, I agree that if they can somehow improve the goalies to NHL07 level of animation, and also at least steal EA's idea about the skill stick for at least break aways, then it will be the best game ever... Oh, and do something with the fighting engine.

Well you can hold L trigger to do a manual deke on a breakaway. You have to be in front of the goalie to do it. Press the stick towards the goalie to shoot it. It's not as arcadey fast as EA's though. Funny thing is that the pre-programmed dekes in 2K7 that are activated with the same stick (while not holding down any other button) are quite arcadey and unrealistic themselves.

In 07 it's also the AI that's impressive. I'll go into extreme detail in my comparitive review.

As far as fighting goes, I even think a QTE type minigame where the fight animations are mo-capped and look totally realistic, would be better than the crap both games feature. :p

Top Bottom