• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Rayman 2: The Great Escape (N64)

daTRUballin

So previously I made a thread asking whether I should check out Rayman 2: The Great Escape on the N64 and there was an overwhelming number of people who praised the game and suggested I should. I only briefly played the beginning of this game as a kid, but I remember not being too impressed with it and gave it back to the store. I played a bit of the beginning again years later at a friend’s place. Thankfully, my friend still has his copy of the game, so I borrowed it to try it out and do a full playthrough this time. So I’ve decided to make my first ever LTTP thread on the game to share my thoughts on what I experienced. Overall, my experience with the game was an enjoyable one, although there were some frustrating moments I didn’t really enjoy that I’ll talk more about.

n64_rayman_2_great_escape_p_9b5nxs.jpg

Note: Since it’s not always easy to find good pics of a particular version of the game (in this case, the N64 version), you may see pics of the other versions of the game on other platforms. From what I understand, they are all mostly the same thing, with some slight differences.

Unlike Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and other platformers on the system, Rayman 2 takes a more straightforward and linear approach to its gameplay. You still collect things as you do in other platformers, but in this game, the levels are set up in a linear fashion and each level has a certain number of lums you can collect and a certain number of cages you have to break open to free......uhh.....something. I forgot who or what is trapped inside those cages exactly. The Teensies, I guess? I dunno......Anyway, if you manage to collect all the lums and break all the cages in a level, it grants you a bonus level.

Since I wasn’t really aiming to 100% this game, I only ever unlocked one bonus level in the entire game, and it turned out to be a racing level on par in terms of frustration and annoyance with Banjo Tooie’s Canary Mary (Canary Mary’s probably still worse though). Ugh. And according to my friend, all the other bonus levels are basically the same thing except the levels get harder and harder as the game progresses. How lame if true, but oh well.

Rayman%202%20-%20The%20Great%20Escape%20(U)%20(M5).png

rayman2_1.png

hqdefault.jpg

40152-Rayman_2_-_The_Great_Escape_(USA)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-2.jpg

In addition to the platforming, there are lots of vehicle/flying/riding/running segments, and these make up a large portion of the game. Some of these remind me of Crash Bandicoot a little bit.

latest

826426-rayman-2-the-great-escape-windows-screenshot-me-riding-a-rocket.png

320px-Walking_shell_and_Rayman.jpg

320px-R2TGE-PC-FlyingShell-ThePrisonShip.jpg

320px-ThePrisonShipDC.jpg

I gotta say, I didn’t really like these parts of the game all that much at first. That is, until I experienced the final boss (more on that later......*shudder*). Now, looking back, these segments don’t seem nearly as bad, but there were many times where I would fail over and over again and the game would make me do a certain part of these segments over and over and over again every time. These parts tended to be pretty lengthy, so the whole process became pretty annoying pretty fast. These segments were still fun at times, but there were times where I wished these segments would just end.

And now to the one part that almost ruins an otherwise fairly enjoyable game: the final boss. Holy hell, what were they thinking?! The battle is a bit too complicated to explain and I don’t want to get into all the details and drag this post out even further, so I’ll try to find a good video of the battle and post it here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u202_wTifAM

Sorry to any potential fans of this battle, but it’s kind of awful. Don’t be fooled by how easy the player in the video is making it seem. It’s not easy. At all. I have no idea how anybody could beat it so easily. It must’ve literally taken me about 3 hours to beat this. It was by far one of the hardest and most frustrating bosses I’ve ever fought, bar none. I almost considered giving up on it, but I was determined to beat it, and I did. You see, the thing is, the game is fairly simplistic and easy up until this point. Those vehicle challenges were by far the most challenging things about this game until this part. The normal platforming levels were almost a little too easy. But then why would you go and make the final battle as insanely hard as this to the point of bullshit when the rest of the game is fairly easy?! Am I playing Rayman or am I playing Dark Souls here?! My friend did warn me the final battle would be a bitch. I didn’t think it would be THIS much of a bitch considering the rest of the game’s fairly simple levels!

Overall though, the game was fun and I mostly enjoyed it. The atmosphere was great, the characters were fairly likable, and the soundtrack is pretty decent. I still get the Teensies theme song stuck in my head from time to time. And even though I’ve complained about the vehicle segments and the final boss, I still found these parts to be mildly fun and I liked the challenge, even if they were a bit frustrating (VERY frustrating in the case of the final boss). Though one other thing that I do wish was better in this game was the amount of moves Rayman has. I found that Rayman essentially has a very limited moveset and I wish the developers would’ve done more with it (his helicoptery floating move reminded me a bit of Conker’s tail spin from Conker’s Bad Fur Day). And I guess I should also mention the camera can be a bit problematic as is traditionally the case with many N64 games. But if you’re used to playing N64 games, I reckon you won’t have too much trouble with handling the camera. It’s certainly not the worst camera to ever grace an N64 game at least.

But with all of that said, I liked the game well enough. It doesn’t compare to other N64 platformers like Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie or Conker, and I do feel that some people overhype it a bit and rate it more highly than it probably should be, but I still found it to be an enjoyable game for what it was and what it was trying to do, and I’m glad I got to experience it for myself.

G0523

Glad to hear you liked it, OP. I like it myself but I haven't played it in probably over a decade. Still have my Dreamcast copy from when I originally got a Dreamcast as well. Lol.

Also, yeah, there are a TON of ports of this game: N64, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, NDS, 3DS. I think that's all of them. Apparently the PS2 version was worse than the Dreamcast one for some strange reason, never knew why. And I'm not sure how the DS and 3DS ports turned out but they can't be that bad, can they?

All I know is that the Dreamcast version was the only one with multiplayer (and it was okay) and funnily enough, the PS1 version came out like a year AFTER the N64 versions. Weird, right? I think the game's release was so scattered (as in it wasn't released at the same time on all consoles) was because of the launches of the Dreamcast and PS2...and then DS and 3DS. Lol.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

I'm not familiar with the N64 game at all. I had it on the Dreamcast and PC back in the day. The Dreamcast port is fantastic. It looked really nice on a VGA connection with 480p.

saturnine

It's weird, I have memories of my younger self playing the game on the N64 and getting really frustrated at times, but have no recollection of the same thing happening when I played the 3DS version to completion years ago.

In any case, I have good memories of the tone and aesthetic of the game. It was pretty sombre and dreamlike despite its cartoon aesthetic. Not the best 3D platformer of its time, but a pretty unique one. Probably why I didn't find its sequel as good. A bit too heavy on the funkyfreshcool factor.

That final boss really is a fucking Abomination though. I feel that a lot of the game is pretty mediocre and just too easy, but that final boss makes a lot of sense in theory and is decently unique, but it's just such a cunt in execution. It's like the game just flip-flopped.

-shadow-

I remember playing the game off of a copied PC version, absolutely loved it even if was hard as nails at times at that age. Eventually got it years later physical for PC, loving the artwork of it and it's still good fun! Only disappointment is that 3 never followed it up.

Shifty

I remember playing a few versions of this across various platforms. Actually finished it on the DS in the end.

I was really disappointed by the orb-throwing mechanic. Launchable fists was always the Rayman 'thing' to me, really glad they brought them back in 3.

I remember two major things:
-The final boss being super difficult and maybe having some sort of flying mechanic, like piloting a missile?
-The secret ending in the Cave of Dreams
Take the money and have Rayman live out the rest of his life on a tiny private island. He also gets really fat.

Oooooooh. Best keep on waiting......

What kind of future are we living in where Rayman 2 is no longer being ported to every system under the sun.

For shame.

daTRUballin

That final boss really is a fucking Abomination though. I feel that a lot of the game is pretty mediocre and just too easy, but that final boss makes a lot of sense in theory and is decently unique, but it's just such a cunt in execution. It's like the game just flip-flopped.

Preach.

Like, it’s not even like the boss battle itself is hard to the point of being unbeatable. I did beat it, after all, and I KNEW I was going to beat it that same night that I started it. It’s just that the boss fight almost seems so out of place for the game. As you’ve said, the rest of the game is so easy in comparison that the final fight just catches you off guard and almost ruins the game. It’s almost like the developers were trying to lure the player into a sense of easiness throughout the whole game and then suddenly splash them in the face with an ice bucket full of the worst elements of the game all in one battle. It was just ridiculous.

I remember renting the game as a kid for my N64 and enjoying it a lot ( I was a huge fan of Rayman on PlayStation ). Never got to the final boss, though.

Anyway, very well-written thread, OP! Thanks for bringing back some memories. :)

daninthemix

It's a painfully overrated game, stuffed full of idiotic mechanics that are clearly there because someone had an idea, and no one bothered to check whether that idea resulted in any fun being had (just what is with the plum-riding shit?!). It has an awful schizophrenic camera (am I in control or aren't I??) which is inexcusable as developers had had 5 years to figure the basics of 3D out by this point.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's a painfully overrated game, stuffed full of idiotic mechanics that are clearly there because someone had an idea, and no one bothered to check whether that idea resulted in any fun being had (just what is with the plum-riding shit?!). It has an awful schizophrenic camera (am I in control or aren't I??) which is inexcusable as developers had had 5 years to figure the basics of 3D out by this point.
I have to disagree on the overall valuation. It is correct that the camera is not as good as it should be, considering the constrained nature of the game and that some select areas are less fun than others, but overall the level design is great, full of creative ideas and the game's pacing is fantastic. What you wrote here reads almost as if you had played Tonic Trouble instead. Which I have recently finished and is something like the third picks for Rayman 2 levels with much worse camera and slightly buggy controls.

nkarafo

The only Rayman i ever liked was the original on the PS1/Jaguar.

The 3D one was below average compared to the likes of Mario 64 and Banjo. And the modern 2D ones feel generic to me, like glorified smartphone platform games.

Last edited:

Hudo

Glad you liked it OP. Rayman 2 is one of my favourite platformers, I have to say that the Dreamcast version is probably the definitive one. Have you tried Rayman 3? I really liked Rayman 3 as well. Although admittedly, it's not as good as Rayman 2. I really hope that Michel Ancel will do another 3D Rayman at some point. But he needs to finish BG&E2 and Wild (if that's still a thing?) first, I guess.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Slightly, off-topic but I wish Ubisoft remastered the Rayman Trilogy like Activision did with Crash and Spyro.

Top Bottom